Description: Here are 6 tips on taking care of a dog while you’re studying. Owners must follow a student checklist on how to take care of a dog and consider the best dogs for college students to provide the best dog care.
Having a dog while studying is quite challenging. Yes, there are several pros and cons of having dogs while studying in college. One of its major pros is having a stress reliever when you are overwhelmed with college. Dog breeds such as Golden Retriever, Yorkie, and German Shepherd offer the best emotional support, they are even used as assistants for therapies of patients with post-traumatic stress disorder. One of its cons is that it’s time consuming, dogs are like babies who need to be taken care of most of the time. Dogs need constant attention and care, and giving their needs while you are studying for your midterms or doing an important project is hard. Do dogs get bored when they are left alone? Yes, even low maintenance dogs still get bored after being left alone in a long time. If you are wondering how to take care of a dog while studying, here are 6 tips on taking care of a dog while you’re studying.
How to Take Care of the Dog – Student Checklist
Getting a dog while in college is both a challenge and a responsibility, especially if it’s still a puppy. You will have to provide the right puppy care for your pet to grow healthy and happy. Here are the some puppy tips and useful pup information on how to take care of a puppy:
- Give your puppy some alone time – Puppies are undeniably irresistible, but don’t forget that they need to get enough rest in order to grow healthy. Give your puppy a safe resting spot, like a crate, and let them get used to it. It is a good way for your puppy to recognize that it doesn’t need to be by your side all the time. While your puppy is resting, take this opportunity to get started on your academic responsibilities.
- Give your puppy a potty training – This will save you a lot of time and will give your puppy a better hygiene. Having a dog while in college can be quite hard and time consuming when dogs aren’t potty trained, it could even be stressful seeing their poops scattered everywhere and having to constantly clean it. So while still a puppy, patiently train them to do their business in one place. It will pay off someday!
- Take your puppy to the vet for a regular check up – It’s true what they say, prevention is better than cure! A sick puppy could cause you stress and loneliness, you won’t be able to focus on your school works when you’re worrying about your puppy’s health. Take your puppy for check ups and ask the vet for more pup information regarding dog care and more tips on how to take care of a puppy.
If you have an adult dog while you’re in college, who is constantly bored because you can’t play with it anymore, due to your busy schedule, then here are some tips for you:
- Schedule a play time with your dog – Time-management is the best practice for you. Dogs need to be constantly entertained and constantly need attention from you otherwise, they’ll develop an anxiety. If you are really busy, buy toys to keep dogs busy. Flavored chewing toys and playable treat dispensers are the best toys for bored dogs.
- Schedule a playdate – Work on your dog’s social skills, your dog doesn’t have to be extremely needy. Have it socialize with other pets to keep it happy. Also take this as an opportunity if you need to attend something important for your academics.
- Television is a good distraction – Dogs react to animal sounds and views of moving animals, so let him watch animal films or animal planet to keep him busy.
Don’t have a pet yet and don’t know what are the good pets for college students?
Dogs and cats are great pets especially when you are busy and prone to stress. They can help you release your stress. If you are planning on adopting a dog, then here are some of the best breeds for busy people:
- basset hounds
- French bulldog
- Cavalier King Charles spaniel
These are good dogs for college students. They can be left alone because they don’t get bored easily. They are also very laid-back and sleep a lot so you won’t have to worry about doing your assignments. But, if you really like an energetic and active dog but you’re worried about your schedule, then just follow the 6 tips on taking care of a dog while you’re studying. There is also a little life hack pet owners use to be able to do al the activities they want without worrying about their academic responsibilities. Some pet owners buy online assignment writing services such as custom dissertation writing serviceto be able to spend all the time they want with their pets.
Image Credits: Maltese from Dora Zett /Shutterstock