Tired of frequent skin outbreaks. Looking for ways to control acne. Do not worry and read this article. This article has been written with the goal to share tips and advice that will help you to get rid of acne and acne scars fast.
You must have read articles on this topic before. Wondering what new we have to offer you?
I am sure you must have also tried a few home remedies to get rid of acne. But they failed to give you the desired results. Do you know why they haven’t worked for you or have worsened your case? Do not accuse the specific home remedy you tried. The reason behind the failure of a specific remedy to control skin outbreaks is your own lack of knowledge about your skin type and your skin requirements.
Yes, every person is different and so is their skin type. Some people have oily skin, some have dry and some have combination skin.
The effect of every ingredient is different for different skin type. Thus, every skin type should be treated with the ingredient that suits it.
In this article we will discuss what acne is, its contributing factors and home remedies for acne according to your skin type.
What is acne
Acne is a common skin issue troubling teenagers and may continue to bother you till adulthood.
When the hair follicle gets plugged with dead skin cells or oil acne occurs. It commonly develops on your face but may also affect the neck, chest or back.
Every 8 among 10 teenage suffers from acne. However, the severity of acne ranges from mild to severe. In fact, every 3 among 10 teenagers suffers from bad acne that needs to be treated promptly to avoid scarring.
If the measures to control acne are not taken in time it may take 4-5 years for them to settle and even after being settled spots or scars are left behind that take many more years to vanish completely.
What causes acne
To treat acne it is very important to know its causes so that you can avoid the triggers. A few factors responsible for acne flare-up are:
- Changes in hormones– As puberty approaches, there is the release of androgen hormones. This acts as a prime trigger of skin breakouts. But yes, acne and blackheads may also affect adults because the influence of hormones continues throughout the adulthood especially in females.
- Improper diet- Acne break can be linked with an unhealthy diet. Processed foods, sugary and starchy foods are high in glycemic index. They spike the level of blood sugar and eventually results in insulin resistance. Insulin resistance causes your skin to release sticky and thick oil that clogs pores and results in skin breakouts. Some foods such as dairy products and meat contain hormones that may also contribute to acne breakouts. Consumption of high iodine foods such as seaweed, seafood, and high intake of iodized salt also acts as acne triggers.
- Scalp dandruff– If your hair is oily or you are suffering from white flakes known as dandruff, better get rid of it as soon as possible. The greases from your hair may travel to your forehead, temple and even cheeks and result into face acne.
- Lack of proper skin care– Poor hygiene does play an important role in acne and blackhead breakouts. This is because dead skin cells, keratin, impurities, germs and excessive oil get accumulated and clogs the pores.
- Certain medication– Certain medicines such as androgenic steroids, birth control pills, and medicines containing lithium, iodide, or bromides may alter the body’s hormone. This, in turn, results in skin breakouts.
- Environment- Pollution, dirt particles, grease, and oil are known to clog pores. Other environmental factors such as humidity and heat increase sweat and oil production. All these factors contribute to acne flare up.
- Personal habit– If you have a habit of touch your skin or rub your face frequently better refrain yourself from doing so. As by doing so you drop impurities and germs on your skin. Also, some teenagers or even adults have a habit of scratching acne. This increases the risk of secondary infection and spreads the acne making your condition worse.
- Inappropriate cosmetics– Be very careful in choosing your cosmetics. Better go for branded and herbal skin care products. Using wrong cosmetics, creams and moisturizers may block skin pores.
- Stress– Physical or mental stress is no doubt one of the major causes of acne and blackheads. Under pressure, your body produces stress hormones such as cortisol. This hormone, in turn, stimulates the oil glands and testosterone production spikes. This again increases the production of oil and results in clogging of the pores.
- Heredity– You are more at the risk of skin breakouts if there is a family history of moderate to severe acne.
Whatever the reason might be, rearing of acne on your skin affects your appearance. It lowers your confidence and makes you hate yourself. Some teenagers even cage themselves in their room to avoid confronting people with their acne face.
But why to be so harsh on yourself.
Skin breakouts are not your fault. Have patience as you can easily achieve clear skin. There are so many home remedies to get rid of acne and blackheads fast.
To solve all your problems, below is the list of home remedies for acne. Choose the one according to your skin type. But make sure before applying them wash your face with acne face wash and plain water first.
Top Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Acne Fast
Best acne solution for oily skin
An oily skin looks shiny and has large visible pores. It is very prone to skin breakouts. The excess of oil gets accumulated on the outer skin, clogs the pores and leads to the formation of blackheads, whiteheads, and acne.
If your skin is oily then try home remedies mentioned below to get rid of acne.
1. Cinnamon– Cinnamon has proved to be effective in the cases of oily skin acne. It clears the skin as well as tighten the skin pores. You can also use it in the case of combination skin.
Cinnamon, when mixed with honey, is considered an excellent home remedy for acne prone skin. Both honey and cinnamon have antibacterial properties. Take a teaspoon of honey and one-fourth teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Mix them and apply them over the blemishes. Leave it for 15 minutes and then rinse off your face with warm water.
2. Cucumber– This vegetable is known for its cooling and hydrating properties. Also, it alleviates the inflammation and also removes excess oil. Crush a cucumber and apply it to the acne directly. Repeat this for a few days
3. Apple cider vinegar- Apple cider vinegar maintains the pH balance of the skin and prevents the growth of the bacteria. We can also use it to get rid of acne. Mix one-fourth teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a three-fourth teaspoon of water. With the help of a cotton ball apply this solution to the blemishes. Repeat it for a few days. It is also effective in blackhead removal.
4. Sandalwood and rose water– Sandalwood very effectively removes the excessive oil and also cleans the face. Rose water is antibacterial. Take a tablespoon of sandalwood powder and add a sufficient amount of the rosewater to make a paste. Apply it on your face. When it dries, wash it off.
5. Orange peels– Orange peel has astringent properties and contains vitamin C. Thus, it kills bacteria, removes excess of oil and unclogs the pores. Also, it promotes the growth of healthy skin cells.
Take a fresh orange peel and grind it. Add a little water to make a paste. Apply this paste to your face. After half an hour wash it off.
Best acne treatment for dry skin
Dry skin appears dull, rough, red and wrinkly. Its pores are not seen. As compared to oily skin, the dry skin suffers from fewer acne outbreaks. But yes, the outbreaks are not uncommon. And in comparison to oily skin acne, dry skin acne is more challenging to treat. The reason behind that is most of the acne treatments are for oily skin and using them makes your skin dry and dull.
Do not worry anymore as below are the solutions:
1. Tomato pulp- Being rich in vitamin A, K, and C tomato is an effective home treatment for dry skin acne.
Take a tomato and mash it to make a paste. Apply it on your face. After 20 minutes, rinse off your face. Repeat this for a few weeks. You will not only get rid of the acne and acne scars but also your skin will start glowing.
2. Lemon juice – Lemon juice contains Vitamin C. It boosts the formation of collagen and promotes healing. Also, it has antibacterial properties. Squeeze the juice of a lemon and apply it on the acne with the help of a cotton ball. Repeat this for a few days. Lemon juice has whitening property and thus you will also find it effective in acne scar removal.
3. Potato– Again potato is rich in Vitamin C and also in vitamin B. Vitamin B is required for the regeneration of the skin. Also, potato acts as whitening agent. Crush a potato. Extract its juice and apply all over the face. After 20 minutes, wash your face.
4. Garlic– Possed with Antimicrobial properties and rich in calcium, zinc and sulfur garlic is considered one of the excellent home remedies for acne. Crush a garlic pod with water and make a paste. Apply this paste on the acne. Wash it after an hour.
5. Yogurt- To provide a soothing effect to your skin attacked by acne apply yogurt. It is antibacterial and also dislodges the pores. Besides, it also moisturizes your skin. Add a pinch of turmeric to a tablespoon of yogurt and apply to your face. Let it dry and then rinse it off.
6. Honey- Honey is not only antibacterial but also a humectant. Thus, it keeps the skin moisturized. Also, it is anti-inflammatory and heals your damaged skin. Mix it with cucumber juice to give it cooling effect and apply it on your face. After 30 minutes, rinse off your face. You can also use honey for acne scar removal.
Best acne treatment for combination skin
A combination skin is oily in some areas such as forehead, chin, and nose whereas other areas are dry.
1. Egg white– Take an egg and whip it. Extract the egg white in a bowl and mix it with a few drops of rose water and lemon juice. Mix the ingredients and apply it to your face. After 30 minutes, rinse it off. Repeat this 3 times in a week. You can also egg face mask for blackhead removal.
2. Gram flour- It has proved itself in fighting acne and making the skin clear. But it is a little drying. So for combination skin, mix it with honey and make a paste. You may also add a pinch of turmeric to it as turmeric is anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. Apply the paste all over your face. Leave it for a half hours and rinse it off.
3. Fuller’s earth- Again, this is a little drying but when mixed with yogurt it is perfect for combination skin type. You may also you may try it with honey and apply to your face. As it dries rinse it off. Fuller earth will remove extra oil and clean your face.
4. Papaya– Raw papaya is a natural home remedy for acne. It also exfoliates the skin and removes excess of oil. Papaya contains papain that reduces inflammation. Papaya is considered good for all types of skin except sensitive skin. Mash raw papaya and apply it to the acne and pimples. After 15 minutes, rinse it off.
5. Sandalwood– Sandalwood is antibacterial. It removes excess oil and provides the soothing and cooling effect.
Mix a tablespoon of sandalwood powder to a sufficient amount of rosewater to make a paste. Apply the paste to acne or all over your face. Once it dries, rinse it off. Repeat this every alternate day to get rid of skin breakouts. It is also useful in getting rid of pimple marks.
Home remedies for severe Acne
If you have an acne prone skin or suffering from severe acne, you may try following face packs to get rid of acne:
1. Mint face pack- Crush a few leaves of mint and apply to your skin. This may irritate at first, but soon will give you a calming effect. Try this every alternate day.
2. Holy basil face pack- Basil leaves act as a magical home remedy to get rid of acne. It drives the bacteria away and also keeps acne breakouts at bay. Crush basil leaves. Add a teaspoon of gram flour. Add the sufficient amount of water to make a paste. Apply it over the face. After 30 minutes, rinse off your face.
3. Margosa leaves face pack– Margosa leaves are anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial. It unclogs the pores and removes dirt and dead cells. Dry margosa leaves in the sun. When they become crispy crush them. Add fuller’s earth and rose water to it and make a paste. Apply this paste on your face and leave it for a half hour. Rinse it off. Repeat this 3 times in a week.
Best acne treatment for sensitive skin
A sensitive skin is which breaks out in skin bumps, rashes and gets itchy, burning, stinging or blotches on the use of any skin product. You should be very careful in treating such skin types. Following are the home remedies for sensitive skin acne.
1. Rose water- It is antiseptic, astringent, anti-inflammatory and also possess antioxidant properties. By maintaining the pH balance of the skin, rose water prevents your skin from getting too dry or too oily. So why not pamper your skin with rose water.
Just soak a cotton swab with rose water and apply it to your face 2 times in a day.
2. Aloe Vera– For individuals with sensitive skin, aloe vera is a boom. It has cooling and soothing properties. Also, it is rich in vitamin E and promotes healing.
Take a fresh leaf of aloe vera and extract its gel. Apply the gel to your skin. Leave it for 30 minutes and then rinse it off. Repeat this every alternate day.
3. Honey– The anti-bacterial and soothing property of honey not only treats the skin breakouts, but also keep sensitive skin moisturized and relieves irritation.
Apply raw honey to the face and neck. After 15 minutes, rinse it off with plain water.
4. Green tea- Green tea is the healthiest beverage on the earth. For sensitive skin, It is one of the excellent home remedies for acne. It is antibacterial and is rich in antioxidants. It soothes the skin, rejuvenates it and prevents it from drying.
Steep a green tea bag in half cup of water. Let it cool down. You may also keep it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. Wash your face with it every day.
If you will choose home remedies to get rid of acne wisely I am sure you will get rid of the acne problem fast. You may also consult your dermatologist to know more about your skin type and help you choose the best acne treatment for yourself.
Even after, acne flare-up is controlled, I will advise you to stick on to the treatment for a few more days to remove acne scars, avoid recurrence and maintain a flawless skin.
Keeping in mind that many of you live a hectic life and you may not get enough time to use home remedies, we have compiled a list of best acne products available on amazon. Do have a look at them. I have also mentioned the product description along with reviews.
Acne Solution On Amazon
1. ClearZine acne solution– One bottle of ‘ClearZine’ contains 60 acne treatment pills. It is leading oral and natural acne treating formula and is highly recommended by dermatologists. It is effective in cases of light to severe acne. Amazon customer reviews have given it 3 and a half star. They have found it 99 percent successful in eliminating pimple, blackheads, acne scars and other skin breakouts.
2. AcneFree Severe Acne Treatment System– Amazon customer reviews have given this acne treatment product 4 stars. It is recommended by the dermatologists for severe acne. It contains benzoyl peroxide and retinol formula. An individual of any skin types and any age group can use it. Just follow the instructions mentioned in the pack and you will find acne disappearing in a week.
3. AcneFree Sensitive Skin Acne System– This product is especially for sensitive skin. Again the amazon customer reviews have given it 4 stars. It contains benzoyl peroxide along with salicylic acid. It won’t dry up your skin or cause irritation.
4. Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Control Kit– It is a routine acne treatment. It not only treats acne and blackheads but also prevent the outbreaks in the future. Amazon customer reviews have given it 4 stars.
5. Neutrogena Complete Acne Therapy System– Again it is has been given 4 stars on the basis of customer reviews. It contains microfine beads along with salicylic acid that exfoliates dead skin cells, unclogs the pores and calms the skin.
To acknowledge other best acne products available on amazon visit https://www.amazon.com
Besides using home remedies for acne do follow the instruction given below.
- Drink lots of water – This will flush out body toxins.
- Avoid smoking, caffeine, alcohol and minimize the intake of sugary, starchy and fatty foods.
- Increase the intake of the vitamin C, and vitamin A rich foods such as green leafy vegetables or yellow- orange fruits and vegetables. These vitamins are powerful antioxidants and fight against bacteria as well as prevent free radical damage.
- Practice stress-busting exercises. But remember not to exercise without removing your makeup or cosmetics along with sweat will clog skin pores. And last but not the least maintain personal hygiene.
- Make a habit to clean your face two times daily. Remove all the makeup before sleeping. Change your pillows and bed sheets once in a week.
Even after getting rid of acne, acne scars and blackheads inculcate the above steps in your habit. This will prevent future outbreaks and will keep your skin happy and glowing.
Acne treatment is incomplete unless you get rid of acne scars that are left behind and hampers your look. So once acne home remedies give you the desired result and you have started following the prevention tips to avoid breakouts now its time to get rid of acne scars
What causes acne scars
Acne can be classified as inflammatory and non-inflammatory. Non-inflammatory acne is blackheads and whiteheads and inflammatory acne are pustules, papules, cysts and nodules. Non-inflammatory acne leaves marks. Inflamed acne is caused when the pores get engorged with bacteria, dead cells and excess oil. When the breakouts penetrate deep into your skin and damages the tissue present beneath it leads to pimple scarring. You can get rid of them through home remedies discussed in this article below.
Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Pimple Marks
- Aloe vera- Aloe vera has moisturizing and soothing properties. It also promotes healing. The antioxidants present in aloe vera ease swelling and redness and being astringent it removes dead skin cells and excess oil.
Extract the gel of the aloe vera leaf and apply to pimple marks. After 20 minutes, rinse it off. Repeat this once daily.
- Onion Juice– If you can tolerate little sting on your skin and burning in your eyes onion extract is one of the best options. It is rich in bioflavonoids such as kaempferol and cepalin. The regular application removes the acne marks in just a few weeks. Also being anti-inflammatory onion juice fights acne and reduced swelling and redness.
- Coconut oil– If you have a dry skin, coconut oil will provide you with clean and clear skin. Coconut oil is a natural whitening agent. It is rich in omega fatty acids that penetrate deep into the skin to keep the skin moisturized. Apply coconut oil over the area you want to treat. Leave it overnight and then rinse off in the morning.
*If you have an oily skin better avoid it.
- Lemon Juice- Lemon juice is rich in vitamin C that promotes the regeneration of new cells. It also contains alpha hydroxy acids that promote the process of healing. Lemon acts as a natural bleach and lightens the skin tone. It also helps the skin get back its elasticity. Cut a lemon into 2 halves and rub one half over the scar. You may also extract the lemon juice and apply to the affected part with the help of a cotton ball. Leave it for 15 minutes and then rinse it off.
- 5. Turmeric powder– Curcumin is a compound present in turmeric that is anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant. It reduces the melanin production and lightens the skin tone. It treats skin discoloration and renders a glowing skin. Also, turmeric is antiseptic and smoothens skin.
Add a pinch of turmeric to a teaspoon yoghurt and apply to your face. Let it dry and then rinse it off.
Try the above home remedies to get rid of acne scars, but do remember there is no magic behind and desired result will take time. Be consistent with the treatment and have patience.