What to Do If You Feel an Electric Shock at Home

If you feel an electric shock while you are at home, whether you are turning on a light switch or using an appliance, it is not something you can ignore. It likely means there is something seriously wrong with the electrical wiring. If the shock causes a severe injury, the first thing you need to do is seek medical attention. If it was a “little” shock that zaps you, it’s time to get in touch with the professionals to check your wiring.

Never Ignore the Problem

In some cases, the problem might have to do with the appliance you were using. It might have been faulty. However, this doesn’t mean that it is always the fault of the appliance. It could be the wiring in the home. Bad wiring will only get worse, and that means the risk of shocks is going to increase. The shocks could become worse, and they could cause serious injury or even death. Additionally, the bad wiring could indicate that there is a risk of an electrical fire in the home.

Don’t Attempt to Fix the Problem Yourself

No matter how much you might enjoy DIY and no matter how skilled you think you are, never attempt to fix your electrical problems on your own. Working with the electrical wiring in the house is dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. Therefore, you should always make it a point to hire a certified professional for the job.

Don’t Use the Electricity in the Home Until It’s Checked

If you are getting small shocks when you are turning on lights or using appliances in the home, you should stop using electricity in the house for the time being. You will want to get in touch with an electrician and get guidance on turning off the electricity to the home while you wait for them to arrive for an inspection. It’s always better to be safe rather than sorry.

The electrician can check the wiring to determine whether it is the source of the problem. They can then let you know what needs to be done to the property to ensure that the wiring is made safe.

Always make sure you are working with a qualified electrician who has plenty of experience in the field. Never entrust your wiring to a friend who has “done a little bit of electrical work”. You and your family need to be safe, and that requires actual professionals like these electricians in Perth.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More