Computer Won’t Sleep in Windows 10 : Fix Sleep Mode
Computer wont’s sleep in Windows 10 sometimes gives trouble to its users with small issues, like that of Sleep Mode Not Working. Few users have complained about Windows 10 Not Sleeping while they try to make it sleep.
This is a prevalent issue, and there may be several reasons for such a situation occurring. The main causes why the computer stops going to sleep in Windows 10 are Inappropriate settings, Interference of third party software, and device driver issues.
There used to be two major Sleep Mode issues faced by Windows 10 users :
- Computer Won’t Go To Sleep
- Sleep Option Missing
In the following page, let’s try to find the best solution to check the Windows 10 not sleeping problem.
Computer wont’s sleep in Windows 10 : Try to Fix
Fix 1 – Find out the culprit that stopping windows 10 from sleep
- Search CMD in Windows 10 Search Box. Right-click on command prompt icon and Tap on the run as administrator.
- Running this command will let you know which applications hinder sleep mode leaving behind basic required applications.
# To know what are the applications that disturb the sleep mode always:-
- powercfg -requests
- The result will display the applications which are hindering the sleep. Check and find the disturbance caused to the result and try uninstalling it. If it is originating from a software program installed, try to uninstall it from the control panel.
- If you want to disable this process from command prompt directly, run the command given below.
- powercfg -requests override <CALLER_TYPE> “<NAME>” <REQUEST>
- For example, the Process yc.exe seems to be the culprit. So run the following command.
- powercfg -requestsoverride PROCESS “yc.exe” SYSTEM
- # To know who prevented the laptop from going to sleep run recently:-
- powercfg -lastwake
- # To know devices who wake up Computer run:-
- powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
If the issue is originating from a network adapter, follow the steps as given.
- Search for device manager in Windows 10 search box.
- Expand Network adapters.
- Right-click on the Network adapter causing the issue and tap on properties.
- Tap on power management Tab and do try to check the option writing Allow the computer to turn off the device
Fix 2 – Permit Computer To Sleep
You initially will require to ensure that the basic Power settings are set to the default that PC can sleep. Sometimes, third-party software mess with settings to make changes that lead to issues like sleep mode not working in Windows 10.
Follow steps to change the Power settings to default:
- Step 1: Tap on the Windows button to open the Start menu. Type Power Options, and tap on the result of Power Options.
- Step 2: Power Options will open Balanced mode will be chosen by default. Tap on Change plan settings option.
- Step 3: Window will open to Change advanced power settings.
- Step 4: New Power Options windows will open by tapping on Restore plan defaults.
- Step 5: In Power Options, you can expand the Multimedia settings option, expand the When sharing media option. Both On battery and Plugged in options, selecting will allow the computer to sleep from the drop-down.
Note: You will not receive two options in the When sharing media menu while using PC. You will get just one option to select Allow the computer to sleep option. After applying changes, click on Ok to apply the settings. Now, see if you can put the computer to sleep. If not, try the next method.
Fix 3 – Disable Fast startup
Fast startup is a useful feature of Windows 10, and the System saves loaded drivers images and kernels in C:\hiberfil.sys file. When restarting PC, it resumes these directly from the hiberfil.sys file. But older PC/Laptop might not be compatible with the feature and may cause sleep issues in Windows 10. To disable Fast startup do the following.
- Search Power options in windows 10 search.
- In the left side, Tap on Additional Power Settings.
- Tap on “Choose what the power buttons do” from the left-hand side window
- Click on Change settings that are unavailable currently.
- Uncheck the checkbox under the category that tells “Turn on fast startup”.
Fix 4 – Attempt Clean Boot
It may be possible that PC is not able to sleep as of a third party software installed on it. User will be required to boot PC in clean boot mode for PC to start with just the necessary Windows programs and services. This ensures that no third party software starts when the PC starts. So, if any software is interrupting the PC to go into sleep mode, Clean Boot will take care of it.
Fix 5 – Using Windows Troubleshooter To Fix Windows 10 Not Sleeping
Windows Troubleshooter can solve the problem very effectively in Windows 10. The Troubleshooter can help resolve Windows 10 “no sleep” problem. Follow the steps to run the Troubleshooter to fix the sleeping issue:
- Step 1: Tap Windows + W keys. Open to type Troubleshooting, tap on the first search result that gives a signal for Troubleshooting.
- Step 2: The Troubleshooting windows will open in the left panel, tap on View all.
- Step 3: Various options will appear to select the Power option for launching Power Troubleshooter.
- Step 4: A new window will open, tap on Next to proceed. The Troubleshooter will check whether there is any problem/ issue and will try to fix it.
After completion, restart PC to check whether the Sleep option works. If the Troubleshooter didn’t find a problem or didn’t fix the Windows 10 No Sleep issue, move on to the next way of rescue.
Fix 6 – Update Windows 10
Outdated Windows device drivers can be the reason to cause in Windows 10 Sleep Mode Not Working. Updating Windows 10 the latest version is something which it takes to update all the device drivers on the PC. The sleep mode issue might work without the after updating Windows 10.
Fix 7 – Disable Hybrid Mode
In Power Options, click on enable/disable Hybrid Mode. This mode is a combination of Sleep and Hibernation modes. When Hybrid Mode is On, it may cause PC not to sleep. For fixing the Windows 10 not sleeping problem by disabling Hybrid Mode, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Do as Step 1 to Step 3 of the given Method 1 above to open the Advanced Power option settings.
- Step 2: Check for the expandable option Sleep in the menu. In the Sleep menu, expand Allow hybrid sleep, and in the option(s) available, choose Off from drop-down menu.
- Tap on the Ok button for applying the selected settings. Then, restart your PC and check whether Sleep Mode not working issue has been fixed or not.
Fix 8 – Scanning of PC for Virus/Malware
It is a possibility that PC has some Virus/Malware. Virus attacks can affect the normal functioning of PC, at times, which includes Windows 10 Sleep Node Not Working. If not having an Antivirus installed, get one and scan PC for virus/malware.
Fix 9 – Disconnect All the Peripheral Devices
Few peripheral devices connected to PC might be the reason for Windows 10 not sleeping. Disconnect or Remove the externally connected peripheral devices on the PC.
Essential devices like Mouse/Keyboard must not cause any issue. Remove devices like Scanner, Printer, Webcam, External DVD, etc. connected to PC and check to fix the Windows 10 not sleeping issue.
Computer wont’s sleep in Windows 10 : Conclusion
The Windows 10 Sleep Mode Not Working or Windows 10 not sleeping problem is ubiquitous and easy to fix. The methods listed above would easily solve the issue to fix your PC.