Watney pulls out of RBC Heritage after testing positive for coronavirus
American golfer Nick Watney has pulled out of the RBC Heritage after testing positive for coronavirus, the PGA Tour has said in a statement. Watney had fired 74 in the opening round at the Harbour Town Golf Links and had complained of feeling unwell before heading to the course for the second round.
“On Friday, prior to arriving at the tournament, he indicated he had symptoms consistent with the illness and after consulting with a physician, was administered a test and found to be positive,” said the PGA on Friday.
“Nick will have the PGA Tour’s full support throughout his self-isolation and recovery period under CDC guidelines. For the health and well-being of all associated with the tournament and those within the community, the Tour has begun implementing its response plan in consultation with medical experts including working with those who may have had close contact with Nick.”
The Tour said that Watney had tested negative upon arrival initially. “Watney, who travelled privately to Hilton Head Island for the tournament and was not on the PGA Tour-provided charter flight, tested negative upon arrival,” it said.
The Tour had provided a comprehensive health and safety guidelines for players and caddies in May ahead of the resumption of golf Charles Schwab Challenge last week.