2020 Boston Marathon cancelled due to COVID-19
The 2020 Boston Marathon has been cancelled for the first time in its 124-year history due to COVID-19 pandemic, the Boston Athletic Association (BAA) has announced.
In a statement on Thursday, the BAA added that it would hold a “virtual event” instead and that all participants would receive a finisher’s medal if they can prove they had run the 42 kilometer distance within six hours any time between September 7–14.
The marathon had earlier been postponed from April 20 to September 14 due to the coronavirus outbreak which has claimed more than 3.5 lakh lives across the world so far.
“Our top priority continues to be safeguarding the health of the community, as well as our staff, participants, volunteers, spectators, and supporters,” said Tom Grilk, CEO of the BAA. “While we cannot bring the world to Boston in September, we plan to bring Boston to the world for an historic 124th Boston Marathon.”
The BAA said that all participants will be offered a full refund of their entry fees.