How To Backup/restore Or Transfer Your iTunes Library For Free.
iTunes – a very popular software for music lovers. This software has seamless options to create and manage your large music library as the way you need it. I am using Macbook Pro and seriously in love with this software. I had more than 5000+ songs in my iTunes library. I always do a regular backup of my iTunes library but what I don’t like about iTunes is that there is no configurable options for backing up the data.
iTunes simply provides a option to back up your iTunes library into blank CD’s or DVD’s. There is no option to back up iTunes library to the media of your choice like external hard drives, flash drives, network folders or if you want to transfer whole library onto other Windows or Mac.
If you have already ripped your music library into CD’s or DVD’s, you can get it back or transfer to other PC’s but you will lost data about those tracks such as play counts ratings. art covers etc. Even, it is pretty annoying and time consuming process of re-importing all your content into another PC. You must have paid a lot of money behind creating your music library, so it would always be good to take extensive care.
That’s the reason, in this article, I am coming up with a useful guide on how to backup/restore or transfer your iTunes library for free.
CopyTrans TuneSwift is a cool software that allows you to take backup of your entire iTunes library including iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone backups if any. You can use the incremental backup feature to save the latest changes you have made in iTunes library. You can also transfer your iTunes library to another PC or Mac by importing and restore it from previous backups. Backup is not only limited to CD’s or DVD’s, you can save it in your external hard drives, flash drives or network folders.
As of now, this software is for Windows only but gives you an neat option for transferring iTunes library to Macs. It is fully compatible to iTunes10 and will work in Windows XP, Vista or 7. Let’s see how it works :
1) Download and install the software from here. When you open the software, you will see the screen as below.
2) If you want to transfer your iTunes library to other PC, click on “Transfer” option. Now, you will ask where you want to transfer media (PC or Mac).
3) Click on relevant option, I am taking Windows as an example. Now, you have to select where you want to transfer the backup file. You have 3 options listed that you can see in the below image.
4) Select the relevant option. For example, I am selecting “New Computer”. Please note that if you haven’t connected the external hard drive, connect in this step. After choosing the file name and location where your backup file is saved, click on “Start Transfer” button.
5) The next screen will show you status and stats like estimated time, size of the file etc. After the whole processed is completed, you will get a folder name “iTunes library backup”. Great, you have just transferred your whole iTunes library into another computer. Isn’t simple to perform?
For more information on above process, just check the video tutorial below :
I don’t think that any other software will be such simpler to take backup of your iTunes library. I like the option of transferring all my iTunes media to other PC’s also, it comes handy when you change your PC or Laptop. It’s very easy to use, effective and simple. You just have to choose the right option like backup, restore or transfer – and it will give you step-to-step instructions. It also supports feature like incremental backups.
The only thing which I don’t like about the software is it takes too much of time when backing up the data. Might be its problem from my side because I got 103GB of music in my iTunes library.
This software is free of charge till March 15, 2010 and will be paid software after that. But, I think it will worth to pay for that software once it became paid. What do you think about CopyTrans TuneSwift? Let us know about your views in the comments section below.