If you already have a Magento website, the only way to get the most from it is by optimizing it. For this reason, you cannot separate search engine optimization from your Magento e-commerce site. With the right SEO strategy, your e-commerce site will be visible to search engines and thus visible to the world.
Optimizing your Magento site
You can optimize your Magento website following these easy steps.
Auditing your site
Before you dive into the main SEO factors, it is essential first to assess the current situation of your website. Sometimes, you may find that your website has some excellent features that work well for your SEO strategy and thus do not need adjusting.
When taking an audit of your site, some key factors to focus on include:
- Ensuring that Google and other search engines only index the main website version.
- Check the status of your structured data to ensure that search engines are displaying the right data to your clients.
- Check for duplicated content. You can prevent this by updating the domain settings.
- Include an XML sitemap to maximize on the SEO strategy’s technical side.
- Reviewing your title tags and Meta descriptions.
- Assess your page speed.
Do a keyword research
Keyword research is an important element in Magento SEO. When you invest time to search for relevant keywords, you will be able to optimize the product pages on your site. This way, your website will drive relevant traffic to a target audience looking for your products online. There are several online tools you can use to improve keyword research. These tools offer information on different keywords such as competition, search volume, and even cost per click.
Keep an eye on your competitors
Assessing what your competition is doing is an integral part of a great SEO strategy. Find your competition, find their websites, and analyse the product pages. Find out what keywords they are making use of and what sites they get click-backs from. Use the information you gather to influence your SEO campaign.
Revise your product categories
With the right keywords, competitor analysis, and a complete website audit, you need to revamp your product categories. These product categories are valuable to your visitors and the search engines.
When revising your product categories:
- Use short and descriptive product category names. The name should make it easy to distinguish the various products on the site, even the most similar-looking ones.
- The product description should be helpful and informative. It should include targeted keywords.
- The title tag should have 60 characters or less. It should feature the primary keyword.
- The Meta description should have160 characters or less. It should have information that will encourage the client to click to your web page.
Optimize page speed
Even with all the strategies above correctly done, it will be of no use if your web pages are not responsive. Maintaining a web page that loads under 5 seconds can increase your user sessions by up to 70% and reduce the bounce rate by up to 35%. The faster your website loads, the higher our rates of conversion.
Image credit: Magento SEO via Rawpixel.com/Shutterstock