Twinkle Khanna is an Indian interior designer, film producer, author, actor and newspaper columnist. She has worked in Hindi cinema for a brief period and was one of the popular Indian film actresses in year 90’s. In the Year 2015, she released her non-fiction book ‘MrsFunnybones’ which was declared best seller. Her second book ‘Pyjamas Are Forgiving’ made her one of the India’s highest-selling women writers in 2018. Twinkle Khanna is also the owner of ‘The White Window Store’.
|Name – Tina Jatin Khanna|
|Nick name – Twinkle|
|Profession – Author, Interior designer, Actress|
|Height – 163 cm|
|Eye colour – Brown|
|Hair colour – Brown|
|Date of Birth – 29 december 1974|
|Birthplace – Pune, Maharashtra, India|
|Zodiac sign – Capricorn|
|Nationality – Indian|
|Religion – Hinduism|
|Father – Rajesh Khanna|
|Mother – Dimple Kapadia|
|Sister – Rinke Khanna|
|Marital Status – Married|
|Spouse – Akshay Kumar|
|Children – Aarav, Nitara|
|Net Worth – $30 million|
Early life and Education
Twinkle Khanna was born on 29 December 1974 in Pune, Maharashtra, India. She did her schooling from ‘New Era High School’, Panchgani, Maharashtra and did her college from ‘Narsee Monjee College of commerce and economics’. She was an academically inclined student. Ever since childhood, she was keen on writing. After completing her 12th twinkle, Khanna wanted to pursue her career as a chartered accountant but joined the film industry on her parents’ insistence.
Twinkle Khanna is the daughter of superstar Rajesh Khanna and well-known Bollywood actress Dimple Kapadia. Her real name is Tina Jatin Khanna. She has a younger sister Rinky Khanna who is married to industrialist Sameer Saran. Twinkle Khanna, wife of well-known Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar and mother of a son Aarav and a daughter Nitara.
Twinkle Khanna made her debut in Bollywood industry from the movie ‘Barsaat’ released in 1995 opposite Bobby Deol. The movie got a positive review from the critics. For the film ‘Barsaat’, she won her first Filmfare Award for the Best female debut. She also played a lead role in other bollywood movies such as Badshah and International Khiladi and Mela. None of the films managed to do any big numbers at the box office. Although Twinkle also gave a few hit films such as Jaan in 1996 and Jab Pyar Kisi Se Hota Hai released in 1998, she couldn’t leave a mark in the Bollywood industry and could not establish herself as a successful female actor. Apart from Hindi cinema, she has also appeared in Telugu movie ‘Seenu’. As an actor, she was last seen in the movie ‘Love Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega in 2001’ opposite Fardeen khan.
In the year 2001, she withdrew from acting and turned her focus towards interior designing and writing. She started her career as an Interior Designer as a site supervisor, under the guidance of a renowned architect based in Mumbai. In the year 2002, she opened her own interior design store the white window at Crawford Market, Mumbai in partnership with her friend Gurlein Manchanda. The store has received a ‘Elle Decor International Design Award’ (from Indian edition of Elle Decor magazine). Twinkle has also started another branch of the flagship store in Mumbai elsewhere and has plans to expand it all over India. She has done in-home interiors for cinema stars such as Rani Mukherjee, Tabu, Kareena Kapoor Khan, Poonam Bajaj and Reema Sen. Today she is a well-known interior designer. She also provide contents to young students and interns studying and working at the International Institute of Fashion Designing Academy of interiors.
Twinkle Khanna is also a well-known writer. Till date, she has released three best-selling books ‘MrsFunnybones’, ‘The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad’ and ‘Pyajamas Are Forgiving’. She has also written hundreds of columns established tabloids. Twinkle Khanna also pens down the weekly columns for a leading newspaper.
Twinkle Khanna, in addition, has appeared in commercials for various brands and also has produced a number of Bollywood movies ‘Thank you’ ‘Tees Maar Khan’ ‘Patiala House’, ‘Khiladi 786’, ‘Pad man’ and ‘Holiday: A soldier is never off duty’. She has also appeared on the cover page of various popular magazines such as Vouge.
Affairs and Boyfriend – Before marrying her Mr Right Akshay Kumar, Twinkle Khanna dated director and producer Abhishek Kapoor. Twinkle still shares a warm bond of friendship with Abhishek Kapoor.
Twinkle Khanna met Akshay Kumar during the shoot for Filmfare magazine in Mumbai. Akshay developed an instant crush on her. During the shoot of ‘International Khiladi,’ the two actors fall in love with each other. Twinkle Khanna and Akshay Kumar got engaged two times before getting married. Twinkle broke their first engagement because of Akshay Kumar’s closeness to Shilpa Shetti. Media reports that after the engagement Twinkle went into depression but later on, Akshay Kumar apologized her. Akshay distanced from Shilpa and were engaged again. The two got married on 7 January 2001.
In 2009, during Lakme Fashion Week Twinkle Khanna created controversy for vulgarity when she unbuttoned her husband Akshay Kumar’s jeans. For this, she had to surrender at Vakola police station but was later on bailed out.
Lesser Facts About Twinkle Khanna
- Twinkle Khanna shares her birth date with her father Rajesh Khanna, who was born on 29 December 1942. She considers herself very lucky to share her birthday with her father.
- A very few people know that Twinkle had undergone eye surgery to correct slight cross-eye. She underwent eye surgery after the success of her initial few movies.
- She rejected Tina’s role in the movie Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, which was later on played by Rani Mukherjee.
- She quit the acting profession because she was not enjoying it.
- She is well-known for her killer sense of humour and whip-smart wit.
- She judged Femina Miss India 2000.
- Twinkle campaigned when her father Rajesh Khanna contested for the Lok Sabha elections from New Delhi.
- In the year 2009, she was The best-dressed celebrity list in the People Magazine
- She judged Femina Miss India 2000.
- She campaigned when her father Rajesh Khanna contested for the Lok Sabha elections from New Delhi.
- In the year 2009, she was listed fourth in the best-dressed celebrity list in the People Magazine.
- She sold her father’s house in 2014 and got rupees 85 crores in return.
- The net worth of Twinkle Khanna is approximately $ 30 million.
- She is also brand ambassador of Indian brand L’Oreal Professionnel.
- Twinkle Khanna has launched Tweak: a bilingual digital media platform for females.
- Her second book The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad was a collection of short stories.
- She is brand Ambassador of Movado watches.
- Twinkle Khanna highly advocates the cause of menstrual hygiene. She joined hands with ‘Save the Children’ to promote right menstrual hygiene among slum communities and children. She was also invited to speak at the University of Oxford in the year 2018.
As a homemaker, entrepreneur, supporting a wife and a caring mother, Twinkle Khanna is no doubt definition of a superwoman.