Riya Sen: Family, Career, Affairs, Marriage, Children, Net worth, Life Style and More
Riya Sen is an Indian model and female actor. She has worked in diverse cinema from Hindi to Bengali, Tamil Malayalam, English, Oriya and Telugu. She comes from Royal ancestry. She entered glamour world as a child artist in the year 1991 playing in the movie Vishkanya. Her first commercially successful movie was style. Some of her other notable films include ‘Jhankar Beats’ in 2003 ‘Shaadi No. 1’ in 2005 and she also starred in Malayalam horror movie ‘Ananthabhadram 2’. However, she stopped working in Hindi movies because she felt uncomfortable being sexualised in music videos and films. Currently, she was seen playing in MXPlayer’s ‘Pati Patni Aur Woh’.
|Date Of birth||24-Jan-81|
|Birth Place||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Currently living in||Mumbai|
|School||Loreto House, Kolkata, India|
|College||Raina Birla Girls College|
|Mother||Moon Moon Sen|
|Father||Bharat Dev Varma|
|Eye colour||Dark Brown|
|Net Worth$1 million||$ 1 Million|
Family: Riya Sen was born on 24th January 1981 in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. She is the daughter of Moon Moon Sen (a former actress) and Bharti Verma who belongs to the royal family of Tripura. Her father is the son of Iladevi, who was the princess of Cooch Behar. He is the nephew of late Maharani Gayatri Devi of Jaipur. Riya’s maternal grandmother Suchitra Sen was a legend of Bengali cinema. Her mother Moon Moon Sen is Trinamool Congress member of parliament from Bankura, West Bengal constituency. Her sister Raima Sen is also an actress and a model
Early life and education: Riya Sen completed her studies from ‘Lorito house’ and ‘Raina Birla girls college’, Kolkata. After that, she studied at the ‘National Institute of Fashion’ and started her career in designing jewellery as her hobby. She is a trained Kathak dancer under ‘Vijay Shri Chaudhari’ and has also completed the level I out of 5 in belly dancing. From early childhood, Riya Sen was passionate about media Arena.
Career – Riya Sen was introduced in the film industry in the year 1991 with the Hindi movie Vishkanya as a child actress. Riya sen was recognized as a popular model at the age of 17 through her performance in Phaguni Pathak’s video Yaad Piya Ki Aane Lagi in the year 1998. Since then she appeared in a number of music videos, fashion shows, television commercials and was also face on popular magazine covers. Growing up she made her acting debut with a significant role in Tamil movie ‘Taj Mahal’ in 1999. Following that year she appeared in the film ‘Good Luck’ opposite actor Prashant. In 2001 she appeared in a Bangladeshi movie “Mone Pore Tomake with ATM Samsuzzam and Riaz. She got good reviews for her wonderful for performance in the movie. Her First commercially successful bollywood movie was ‘Style’ released in 20 01. The movie was a Hindi low budget sex comedy. The same year she also appeared in Bollywood movie ‘Dil Vil Pyaar Pyaar’. Her other notable Bollywmovies include ‘Jhankar Beats’ in 2003 and ‘Shaadi N0.1’ in 2005. In 2005 she played a major role in English movie ‘It was raining that night’ with Sushmita Sen and Riaz. In 2007 she starred in Telugu movie “Nenu Meeku Telus”. She was acclaimed for her wonderful acting performance in the film. Her film ‘Hero 420’ with Nusrat Faria Mazhar and Om and got positive reviews from the audience and critics. She also appeared in Odia movie my love story in 2013
Riya entered Bollywood through small modelling assignments. During her early career, she used to travel by public transport communicating between Mumbai and Kolkata.
Riya Sen established herself as a bold youth icon in India. She gained attention among the audience for wearing a bikini in her movie ‘Shaadi number 1’ and her bold kissing scenes with her co-star Ashmit Patel in the movie ‘Silsilay’ and with Sharman Joshi in ‘Style’. She didn’t achieve any large-scale success in Bollywood but successfully generated considerable media attention.
Boyfriends and Affairs
Riya is rumoured to date many Bollywood actors in the past. She has been linked with Bollywood actors Ashmit Patel and John Abraham. It was rumoured that she is in a relationship with novelist Salman Rushdie. Also, she was linked with cricketer Srinath and Yuvraj Singh. Finally, on 16th August 2017, Riya married her boyfriend, Shubham Tiwari in a private ceremony held in Kolkata. Although married, Riya Sen is leading a single life since last three years.
It was reported that a 90-second video clip of Riya Sen and her boyfriend, Ashmit Patel, was disclosed on the internet. In the video, the couple was spotted in a compromising situation. Following the incident, the couples split. However, the actress denied that she was the girl in the video clip.
She underwent a short Rehab for addiction to heroin in Bangkok.
Lesser-Known Facts About Riya Sen
- She appeared in an AIDS awareness music video to dispel popular myths about the disease.
- She is a philanthropist and helps to raise funds for underprivileged children and paediatric eye care.
- She acted in a short film ‘Lonely Girl’ in 2017 as Radhika Kapoor and has been part of the web series Ragini MMS; Returns 2017 as Simran.
- She is the only female to be featured on the annual calendar for five consecutive years(2003-2007).
- The public persona of Riya Sen is often compared with her mother Moon Moon Sen, who was also seen as sex symbols during her acting career.
- She received star Guild Bengali Film Award for The Best Actress 2012 for her performance in the movie ‘Noukadubi’.
- Does Riya Sen smoke or drink alcohol – yes
- Riya and her sister Raima use the surname of her maternal grandmother ‘Suchitra Sen’.
- She has done modelling for various famous fashion designers such as Manish Malhotra, Neetu Lula, Ritu Kumar, Aparna Vohra, JJ Valya etc.
- During the shoot of ‘Shaadi No.1’, Riya Sen got unconscious when the stunt man’s motorbike accidentally ran over. Fortunately, she was not seriously injured.
- Riya Sen has appeared on the cover page of various magazines such as T3 Stylespeak, Enlighten India etc.
- She is a certified yoga trainer and teacher.
- She is an avid dog lover.
- Riya was ranked 9th on Femina 50 most beautiful women in September 2007 issue.
- Riya Sen was also a jury member of final years of Mr India contest 2008.