Jackie Shroff: Life Story, Career, Movies, Marriage, Children, Net worth, Achievements
Jackie Shroff is a famous Bollywood actor. He is an Indian actor who has been working in the Bollywood industry for about four decades. He has appeared in more than 220 movies and is considered the most noticeable Indian actor who has ruled the Bollywood industry for more than a decade. Jackie has appeared in movies in about 13 languages including Hindi, Tamil, Bengali, Kannad, Marathi, Malayalam, Telugu, Odiya, Punjabi, Bhojpuri, Gujarati and English. Jackie Shroff has won Filmfare awards four times. He has also made his appearance in several successful short films.
|Name||Jai Kishan, Jai Kishan Kakubhai Jackie Shroff|
|Nick-name||Jackie Shroff, Jagga, Jaggu Dada|
|Date Of Birth||01-Feb-57|
|Profession / Occupation||Actor, Model, Produce|
|Father||Kakabhai Haribhai Shroff (Astrologer)|
|Mother||Rita Shroff (Hoorunnisa)|
|Brothers||Hemant Shroff (Died in 1967 at the age of 17)|
|Education Qualification||11th Standard|
|Children||Tiger Shroff, Krishna Shroff|
|Net Worth||$30 Million|
Early life and Family – Jackie Shroff was born on 5th February 1957 in Ugir, India. His original name is Jay Kishan Kakubhai Shroff. One of his classmates gave him the name Jackie, and later on the filmmaker Subhash Ghai stuck to this name and launched him with the name Jackie Shroff in his movie Hero. Jackie Shroff’s father Kakabhai Haribhai Shroff is a Gujarati, and his mother was Turkmen. His mother real name was Hoorunisa. After her marriage, she was converted to Hindu and was named Rita. After completing 11th grade, he was ejected out of the college as the family did not have enough money to continue his studies. After dropping out of the school, Jackie tried to work as flight attendants at Air India and an apprentice chef at Taj Hotels. But because of the lack of qualifications, he was rejected from both the places. To help his family economically, Jackie Shroff worked as a travel agent at Trade wings. A person from a advertising agency noticed him at the bus stand and approached him with a modelling assignment. After a few modelling assignments, he made his debut in the Bollywood.
Career – Jackie Shroff made his debut in Bollywood with the movie ‘Heera Panna’ that featured the legendary actor Dev Anand. In the film, he played the role of the villain. Afterwards, he appeared in another film by Dev Anand ‘Swami Dada’. He was launched as a lead actor by Subhash Ghai in the movie ‘Hero’ in 1983 opposite Meenakshi Sheshadri. The movie ‘Hero’ was a big hit and propelled the career of Jackie. His next megahit was ‘Andar Bahar’ in which he co- start Anil Kapoor. He also did several other movies such as ‘Jaanoo’ and ‘Yudh’ which were successful. The movie ‘Karma’ released in 1986 became the highest-grossing film of that year. His movies ‘Dahleez’ and ‘Sacche Ka Bolbala’ were critically acclaimed but failed to leave a box office mark. He made a come back through successful movies ‘Ram Lakhan’, ‘Parinda’ and ‘Tridev’. He has been a part of successful films of 90’s such as Saudagar, Sapne Sajan Ke, Angar, Gardish, 1942: A Love Story, Rangeela, Border, Agnisakshi and Shapath.
In year 2006 Jackie Shroff acted in a kids movie’ Bhoot Uncle’. In year 2017 Jackie Shroff made his debut in Konkani through the movie ‘Soul Curry’. In 2019 he was seen in movies such as Firrkie, Saaho, Bharat and Romeo Akbar Walter and Prasthanam.
part from movies, Jackie Shroff has also hosted television shows such as Chitrahar, Lehrein and Missing. He also judged the reality show ‘India’s Magic Star’ on Star One.
With the series criminal justice 2019, Shroff made his digital debutJackie Shroff has also acted in short films ‘The Playboy Mr Sawhney’, ‘Paltan’ and ‘Khujali’.
- Actress Tabu’s sister Farah in one of her interviews revealed that Jackie Shroff tried to rape Tabu after a shoot for the movie Diljale. Jackie and Farah were working together.
- In 2011 there was a rumour on social media that went viral about Jacky Shroff being a gay. A journalist in an article mentioned this. Jacky Shroff denied it and said that he would take legal action against that journalist.
- He was heard using foul language on the camera while shooting for an ad on Polio campaign in 1998.
Less Known Facts About Jackie Shroff
- Does Jackie Shroff smoke or drink alcohol – No, Jackie Shroff has quit alcohol and smoking.
- There is a sad story about Jackie Shroff’s nickname Jaggu Dada. Jaggu Dada was the nickname of his elder brother Hemant Shroff. The latter was a mill worker and earned the title of Dada in his chawl area as he was quite popular for being helpful to people in his locality. However, in one of the tragic incidents, his elder brother died drowned in the water while saving a person from drowning. Jackie was only ten years old during that time. After his brother passed off, Jackie decided to take care of the slum people like his big brother and got the title ‘Jaggu Dada’.
- In one of his interviews, Jackie reveals that he became a frightened child after his big brother’s demise. Even on the noise of crackers, he used to hide under the bed. His mother boosted him and helped him come out of the trauma and become a successful person.
- Jackie Shroff was an outstanding athlete during his school days. But his athletic skills got hampered due to his smoking habit.
- Jackie was a chain smoker. During his modelling days, he was endorsed in many cigarette brands. Finally, he quit smoking at his children insistence. Now he is entirely out of it.
- Jackie Shroff’s first salary from modelling was rupees 7500.
- Jackie Shroff is very close to nature. He spends a lot of his time in organic farming. He also attended the opening of the environment Jaldhaara Foundation.
- The actual surname of Jackie Shroff is Saraf which his father changed to Shroff.
- Apart from being a good actor Jackie Shroff is a skilled cook.
- Jackie Shroff has done a few modelling assignments including Savage perfumes.
- Jackie Shroff often paired with the actor Anil Kapoor. The duo has given several hit movies such as Andar Bahar, Yuddh, Karma, Ram Lakhan and Parinda.
- His movie Gardish released in 1993 is considered his best work to date.
- In the year 2010, Jackie played the role of Sai Baba in the movie ‘Malik Ek’. After working in the film, he quit drinking, smoking and non-vegetarian food.
- Jackie role of Chunnilal in the film ‘Devdas’ starring Shahrukh Khan in the year 2002 is one of his best performances as the supporting actor.
- Jackie Shroff was only 17 years old when you fall in love with his wife Ayesha. Ayesha belongs to a royal background
- Along with his wife, Ayesha Jackie runs a production company ‘Jackie Shroff Entertainment Limited’. Movies produced under the production house include Grahan, Jis Desh Mai Ganga Rehta Hai, Boom sandhya. All these movies failed to get success at the box office.
Awards and Achievements
1990: Filmfare Award for Best Actor for movie Parinda
1995: Filmfare Awards for Best Supporting Actor for the film 1942: A Love Story
1996: Filmfare Awards for Best Supporting Actor for Rangeela
2014: The Original Rockstar Raj Kapoor Award
2017: Hindi Cinema Gaurav Samman at Vigyan Bhawan
2017: Special Honour Jury Award for outstanding contribution to Indian cinema.
2017: Received the 20th anniversary of JP Dutta’s Border movie Award
2018: Best Actor for short film Khujli
2018: Best Actor Award for the Konkani film Soul Curry