Diljit Singh Dosanjh: Date of birth, Family, Early life, Career, Wife, Life style, Awards and Controversies
Diljit Singh Dosanjh is an award-winning Indian film actor, leading music artist and television presenter. He released his first music album ‘Ishq Da Uda Ada’ in 2004. In 2011 he debuted in the Punjabi film industry with the movie ‘The Lion of Punjab’ and entered Bollywood in 2016 with the movie ‘Udta Punjab’. Diljit Dosanjh has won various award for his contribution in films and music industry. In 2018 he was honoured with Dadasaheb Phalke Award for most trending personality of the year. Presently he is one of the leading star in Bollywood and Punjabi film and music industry.
|Name||Diljit Singh Dosanjh|
|Profession||Singer, Writer, Actor|
|Date of Birth||6th January 1984|
|Birthplace||Dosanjh Kalan, Jalandhar, Punjab, India|
|Educational qualificaion||10th standard|
|Father||Balbir Singh Dosanjh|
|Net Worth||Rs.170 crores|
Early Life: Diljit Dosanjh was born on 6 January 1984 in Dosanjh Kalan village, Jalandhar, Punjab in a Punjabi Jat Sikh family. He did his primary schooling at Ludhiana Shri Guru Harkrishna Sahib Public School. He also did his education from Manar Public School Ludhiana and completed his 10th board. Since childhood, Diljit was inclined towards the music. While in school, he began to perform at local Gurudwaras. He started singing in the theatres after joining college.
Family – His father Balbir Singh Dosanjh was a bus driver in Punjab Roadways. His mother Sukhwinder Kaur is a housewife.
He has a brother Manjeet Singh and sister. Both his siblings are not part of the entertainment industry. Diljit original name is Daljit. He changed his name on the recommendation of Rajindra Singh, his record producer. He is married to Sandeep Kaur and is the father of a son. Rumour is that his wife lives in the USA with their son (not confirmed because he never shares his personal details in public).
Singing Career: Diljit started his singing career by singing in local Gurudwaras and religious kirtans. During his college days, he used to sing for regional theatres. In 2004 he launched his first album ‘Ishq Da UDA Ada’ under Finetone Cassettes Label (a T-series division). However, this track album failed to impress the audience. Rajendra Singh from Finetone Cassettes helped Diljit to make his debut in the Punjabi music industry. In 2004 he released second album ‘Dil’ with Finestone cassettes label. ‘Dil’ too was a flop upon its release. His fifth album named “Chocolate” released by T-Series came in 2008 which gained popularity. Diljit released seven more albums between the year 2005 and 2016. In 2009 he released four singles ‘No tension’, ‘Bhagat Singh’, ‘Dance with me’ and ‘Power of duets’. In the year 2010 Diljit sixth album ‘The next level’ was released with nine tracks. Diljit also gave his voice to the song ‘Mel Karade Rabba’ for the movie that featured Jimmy Shergill. In 2012 his album ‘Back 2 Basics’ with Speed Records Peeked on word album chart by Billboard. Album ‘G.O.A.T’ released in the year 2020 with famous studios. The album entered top 20 in the Canadian album chart. Some of his super hit singles are are “Nachdi D”, “Patiala Peg”, ‘5 Tara’, ‘Jatt Fire Karda’, ‘Jind Mahi’ and ‘Raat Di Gedi’. His singing breakthrough came in the year 2013 with the song “Proper Patola” featuring Badshah. It was the first Punjabi song to be featured on Vevo. Diljit has also lent his voice for many Bollywood tracks including ‘Tere Naal Love Ho Gaya’, ‘Tung Tung Baje’ from ‘Singh is Bling’, ‘ikk kudi’ from movie Udta Punjab and ‘Move your lakk’ from movie ‘Noor’.
Acting career: Diljit made his debut as an actor in the Punjabi film industry with the movie ‘The Lion of Punjab’ in 2011. The film did not go well at the box office but his song “Lak 28 Kudi Da” which featured ‘Yo Yo Honey Singh’ was a big hit. Later he appeared in several Punjab movies such as ‘Jatt and Juliet’, ‘Jatt and Juliet part 2’, ‘Sardarji’, ‘Super Singh’, ‘Ambarsariya’ and ‘Punjab 1984’. All these films were commercially successful. Jatt and Juliet is one of the biggest hit of Diljit career and also in Pollywood industry. His movie Jihne Mera Dil Luteya released in 2011 did big business after the release. Through film Udta Punjab Diljit made his Bollywood acting debut. The film was a great hit, and he earned his first Filmfare Award for the best male debut. In 2018 he played the role of famous international hockey player Sandeep Singh in the movie ‘Soorma’. He also did movie Phillauri released in 2017 which received a mixed response.
- PTC Punjabi Music Awards for the Best Folk Pop Album for his album ‘The Next Level’ 2010.
- PTC Punjabi Film Award for the most popular song of the year for his song ‘Lak 28 Kudi Da’ in the year 2010 and ‘Veeravar’ in the year 2016.
- Punjabi International Film Academy Award for the ‘Best Actor’ in the film ‘Jinhe Mera Dil Luteya’ in 2012 and the movie ‘Jatt and Juliet 2’ in 2014.
- Filmfare Award for the best debut actor male in the year 2017 for the movie ‘Udta Punjab’.
- Dada Saheb Phalke Award for the ‘Most Trending Personality’ of the year 2018.
Less known facts about Diljeet Dosanjh
- Does Diljit drinks alcohol – No
- Does Diljit smoke – No
- Diljit gave his first stage performance at the village to engage the audience as ‘Master Saleem’ was late for the performance.
- Diljit is not comfortable in speaking English. He prefers Punjabi over it and needs someone by his side to explain what is said in English.
- Diljit rejects the movies offered to him even by the most famous directors of Bollywood if he is asked to act without his turban
- Besides being an actor and singer, Diljit is a philanthropist. He founded the Saanjh Foundation (2013) that aims to help senior citizens and underprivileged children.
- He hosted a TV show ‘Awaaz Punjab Di’.
- Diljeet is endorsed in various brands including Flipkart connect for Punjab and Coca-Cola.
- He brand ambassador for Star Sports Pro Kabaddi season 4.
Rumours and controversies:
- In 2017, a rumour was viral on social media that Diljit has purchased a Cessna 340A Jet plane. However, later on, he clarified that he does not own jet and the jet plane was only used to take him to some place in Rajasthan for a film shoot.
- In the ‘Most Sensational Celebrity’ list in Pollywood 2015, Diljit Dosanjh ranked number 1.
- Diljit is the only Asian artist to visit the US headquarters of Google, Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram on the same day.
- He attracted controversy when a female raised her voice against his songs, ‘Yo Yo Honey Singh’ and ‘Jazzy B’ songs considering it vulgar and anti-cultural.
- In 2012 a team of Income Tax Department raided Diljit’s residence in Ludhiana.
- In December 2020, Diljit had a war of words with actress Kangana Ranaut.
Net worth and salary: The estimated net worth of Diljit is be Rs.170 crores. He gets around Rs.4 crore per movie.