Over 100 arrested in 2nd day of protests in Houston

More than 100 people were arrested in the US city of Houston as protesta continued for the second day over the death of African-American George Floyd under police custody.

Houston police tweeted on Sunday morning that more than 100 individuals were arrested on various offences, reports Xinhua news agency.

Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo and Executive Assistant Chief Troy Finner joined hundreds of protesters Saturday evening, marching for more than three hours in downtown Houston.

A large police presence were seen at the demonstration which was largely peaceful.

Protest in Houston started on Friday afternoon, with more than 100 people arrested when it deteriorated into violence in the evening.

Police said eight police officers were injured and 16 patrol vehicles were damaged.

Meanwhile, Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said Saturday that Floyd’s mortal remains will be buried in the city where he grew up.

“This is the same city that George Floyd grew up,” Turner said, asking for peace amid violent protest and riot.

“His body will be returning to this city, to his city,” said Turner.

Demonstrations and riots have spread to cities across the US after a video went viral of Floyd being suffocated to death by a white police officer in the Minneapolis on May 25.

On Sunday, Texas Governor Governor Greg Abbott declared state of disaster following the violent protests in cities throughout the state.

The move allows Abbott to designate federal law enforcement officers to respond to the ongoing threats.

In a separate release on Sunday, Abbott said he has ordered thousands more troopers to these cities and more than 1,000 National Guard soldiers to assist the Department of Public Safety (DPS) and local law enforcement in their efforts.

“Texans First Amendment rights are absolute and will always be protected,” said Governor Abbott.

“But violence, vandalism, and looting will not be tolerated in this state and those found in violation of the law will be arrested and prosecuted.”

Meanwhile, the Federal Bureau of Investigation has also deployed tactical teams to assist state and local law enforcement.

In Dallas, Police Chief Renee Hall on Sunday instituted curfew from 7 p.m. Sunday night till 6 a.m. for the next several days in response to the weekend violent protest.

In the state capital of Austin, protesters gathered in downtown area Sunday afternoon. According to local media, protesters marched toward the state Capitol and Austin City Hall, chanting, “No justice, no peace”.