Libyan PM stresses commitment towards ceasefire
Libya’s UN-backed Prime Minister Fayez Serraj has stressed on his commitment towards the recently announced ceasefire in the country.
Serraj made his remarks on Tuesday during a meeting with Josep Borrell, the High Representative of the European Union, reports Xinhua news agency.
Last month, Serraj and the Speaker of the eastern-based House of Representatives, Aguila Saleh, issued statements calling for the ceasefire, reopening oilfields and ports, holding elections, and making the city of Sirte and Jufra district demilitarized zones.
“The Prime Minister said that the Government of National Accord (GNA) is committed to what it announced and the agreement points in the two statements, adding that the other party (eastern-based army) is concerned with many of these points, such as disarming Sirte city and Jufra district and reopening the oil sites,” an official statement said of the meeting.
Serraj warned against any attacks against the UN-backed government’s forces in and around Sirte, saying such acts could destroy any chance for ceasefire, the statement added.
“During the meeting, the High Representative reaffirmed the EU’s support for the statements to achieve security and peace in Libya.”
The UN-backed government had been engaged in a deadly armed conflict against the eastern-based army for more than a year over control of the capital Tripoli, before the former recently took over all of western Libya.
Despite signing the UN-sponsored political agreement and appointment of the UN-backed government of national accord in 2015, Libya remains politically divided amid insecurity and escalating violence.