How Can a Lawyer Help With a Truck Accident Settlement?

Truck Accident Settlement

Getting into an automobile accident is a horrible experience. The only thing that can make it worse is if one of the automobiles is a truck. Trucks are the largest vehicles on the road and when they hit an ordinary passenger car, it is with much more force than when two passenger cars collide. Injuries from truck accidents are severe and often fatal. 4,714 people died in truck accidents in the year 2021. 

When you Google  “Truck Accident Lawyer Thousand Oaks,” many names will come up. Injuries from trucking accidents are much more costly than from other types of vehicle collisions. If you were involved in a trucking accident, it is important to hire an attorney to help you get the money you need. 

If you have lost a loved one to a trucking accident that was not their fault, you may want to sue. There are a few things an attorney can help you with that you would not be able to do on your own.

Determining Fault

Each driver in California is responsible for the percentage of the accident they caused, no matter what that percentage is. For example, if you were 90% responsible for an accident and the other driver was 10% responsible, the other driver’s insurance would have to pay 10% of your bills. 

Some unscrupulous insurance companies will try to make you look more responsible for your accident than you actually were. An attorney knows what kind of evidence an insurance company cannot refute. 

Collecting Evidence

A trained personal injury attorney will have a staff that can research your case thoroughly. In addition to the photograph you took at the scene and the bills you have collected, the staff will be able to research things like road conditions and the history of crashes on the road where your accident took place. Law firms will be able to provide expert witnesses such as doctors and forensic specialists who can help build your argument. 

Negotiating With Insurance Companies

In an effort to keep their money in-house, an insurance company might try to argue that some of your injuries were pre-existing or that you are exaggerating your pain and suffering. They may try to offer you a smaller settlement than you should get. An attorney can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to make sure all of your bills are paid.

Representing You in Court 

Most auto accident cases are settled out of court. However, there are some situations in which an attorney and an insurance company cannot come to an agreement. If you have to go to court, an attorney can represent you in a trial.

If you lost a loved one to an accident caused by a truck driver, you are entitled to sue for wrongful death. An attorney will know what arguments and evidence will win your case in court.

If you are worried about the expense, you should know personal injury attorneys will only take a percentage of the money that they win for you. It is always worth it to hire a lawyer.