What it Takes to Become A Water Operator in California?
The service of a water operator is not just flourishing because it is interesting, but it is gaining popularity among students because it is highly necessary especially for those who wish to become water operators. The California water treatment operator continuing educationcourse in California opens new doors of opportunity for students. In this article, we are going to briefly discuss the advantages, course packages, and eligibility criteria to enroll in this course.
But before we get into the specifications of the course let us first look at the advantages of this course.
Trains Water Operators-
This course trains water operators and provides them with much-needed knowledge. They help students get a handful of practical knowledge that comes useful at a later stage.
- Course Offers Variety To Students-
Even though this course is basically for water operators it covers a variety of subjects that is advantageous for people who want to become efficient water operators. Major subjects covered in this course are topics related to water treatment that involves flocculation, coagulation, and most important topics related to water distribution such as water tanks used for storage.
- Renewal of License–
In California, if a water operator wants to renew their license they need to complete a specific number of hours in completing a course in California water treatment operator continuing education. Onlycovering the required hourswill a person be entitled to renew his license. This course helps the person cover the required hours and renew their license.
- Course Details Based On Time Duration
Based on the time duration and specifications the course is divided into multiple sections. The details of the course have been mentioned below for the convenience of the readers.
Course Details of California water treatment operator continuing education
- 16 Contact Hours Course Package
This course package is a course that is split into 16 hours. It includes coagulation, surface water, sedimentation, and corrosion each of 3 hours respectively. It further includes membrane processes and oxidation of 2 hours respectively. This 16 hour costs $125.
- 24 Contact Hours Course Package
The 24-hour contact package includes source water, corrosion, disinfection, pipelines, WD overview, WD quality, and meters. It costs $190.
- 12 Contact Hours Course Package
This course includes Coagulation, Corrosion, Sedimentation, and Surface Water for each of 3 hours. And costs $ 100 per course;
- 36 Contact Hours Course Package
The course duration is 36 hours and it includes Disinfection, Source Water, Surface Water, Coagulation, Oxidation, Corrosion, Pipelines, WD Overview, Basic Electrical, Wells, and WD Quality. Pumps and meters;
- 4.5 Contact Hours Course Package- This is a course package of 4.5 hours. It gives students a complete overview of the water distribution system. Students enrolled in this package will also learn the basics of how the water is being distributed. This includes valves, SCADA systems, hydrants, motors, pumps, and meters.
- 3 Contact Hours Course Package- Students are offered withmultiple 3 hours packages where they are dedicatedly taught one important section. These sections include the major role of valves and pipes in providing people with safe drinking water, An overview of surface water treatment plant, where students are taught in details about the regulations attached to water treatment operations, basics of how the plant is being treated, including disinfection, coagulation, corrosion control, flocculation, etc. Students are also taught about pipelines in a separate 3-hour course in which they are taught ways of maintaining the pipeline system used for water distribution. The courses that teach students about coagulation, sedimentation, flocculation, and filtration are all a 3-hour course and costs $ 30 respectively.
- 21 Contact Hours Packages- The 21-hour package course includes Sedimentation, Coagulation, Surface Water, and Corrosion of 3 hours each. Disinfection which is of 2.5 hours, and membrane processes and oxidation of 2 hours each.
- 2.5 Contact Hours Packages- This package is of 2.5 hours and focuses mainly on disinfection. It helps students gather detailed knowledge about how inactivation paired with pathogen destruction plays a major role in the process of surface water treatment. And, most importantly it teaches students how safe drinking water is produced that s at par with the EPA standards. Another 2.5-hour package offers a detailed knowledge about motors along with pumps to students. There are also separate 2.5-hour packages that offer knowledge on groundwater wells, quality issues related to water treatment, and also about issues in pre-treatment and source water.
- 2 Contact Hours Packages- The last package offered in this course is the 2 contact hour package that helps students gather knowledge about UV disinfectant, membrane processes, and storage tanks separately. Along with the basic concepts related to electrical water operators.
Conclusion Therefore to conclude it can be said that theCalifornia water treatment operator continuing education offers detailed knowledge on all the aspects of water distribution and purification that are needed by the water operators in California in the long run.