Uninstall programs on Mac…. it can be done by putting them in the trash bin, or if they came with their own uninstaller, you can run the uninstaller program.
Apps those have been installed from the App Store can be uninstalled using Launchpad. Let’s do the whole process in a step wise method so as to make it more clear for you.
Processes to Uninstall Programs on Mac
- Using the Trash
- Using an Uninstaller
- Using Launchpad
Part 1 : Using the Trash Uninstall Programs on Mac
- Open Finder resembling a blue face.
- Click Applications which is a folder on the left side of the Finder window.
- Find the program that you wish to uninstall. Navigate through the programs until you reach an icon for the program that you wish to remove.
- If the program is inside of a folder, double-click the folder to open it and search for an uninstaller application.
- If there is an uninstaller application, skip to the next section.
- Select the program’s icon once to select it.
- Click File which is a menu item in the top-left corner of the screen to get a drop-down menu.
- Click Move to Trash near the bottom of the File drop-down menu.
- You can also press ⌘ Command+Delete on Mac’s keyboard to send the file to the Trash.
- You may be prompted to enter your password to unlock Mac.
- Click and hold the Trash icon in Mac’s Dock.
- A pop-up menu will appear above the Trash icon.
- Click Empty Trash which is in the pop-up menu to delete the Trash’s contents which includes program sent to the Trash and it has been uninstalled from Mac.
Part 2 : Using an Uninstaller Uninstall Programs on Mac
- Open Finder which resembles a blue face.
- Click Applications on the left side of the Finder window.
- Double-click the application’s folder to open the application’s folder to get the uninstaller application inside.
- If uninstaller application is not there, select and delete the program like usual.
- Double-click the uninstaller application to open to a new window.
- Follow the on-screen instructions as it is different for all and have different uninstall criteria and act accordingly.
- To completely uninstall the program check the “Delete files” option if it is available.
Part 3 : Using Launchpad Uninstall Programs on Mac
- Open Launchpad which is a spaceship-shaped icon in Mac’s Dock.
- A list of currently installed apps will open.
- Find the app that you wish to delete by scrolling left or right through the list of apps to search for the app that you wish to delete.
- Click and hold the app for a moment as it will start shaking.
- Click X in the top-left corner of the app icon.
- If there’s no X floating above the icon when it’s shaking then it has not been installed from the App Store. So, it can’t be uninstalled using Launchpad.
- Click Delete when prompted to uninstall the app from Mac.