How to Type Degree Symbol on Various Devices
The degree symbol is commonly used when referring to temperature or an angle’s measurement and it is needed every now and then to type the degree symbol.
Let’s check out how to type degree symbol ° on a Windows or Mac computer, an iPhone, or an Android.
Methods to Type Degree Symbol on Various Devices
- On Windows
- On Mac
- On iPhone and iPad
- On Android
Method 1 : On Windows
- Open Start in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Write in character map to navigate through the system for the Character Map program.
- Tap Character Map which is a triangular app icon at the top of the Start window to open it.
- Search the “Advanced view” checkbox near the bottom of the Character Map window.
- You may skip this step if the “Advanced view” checkbox is already checked
- Navigate to the degree sign by checking into the “Search for” text box near the bottom of the window. You may find degree symbol in the sixth row of the Character Map window when initially opened Character Map.
- Double-click the degree symbol in the upper-left corner of the Character Map window.
- Tap Copy is to the right of the “Characters to copy” text field.
- Go to a place where you wish to type the degree symbol which might be a text document, a post on social media, or an email.
- Paste the degree symbol by click the text field where you wish to type the degree symbol and tap Ctrl+V to place the symbol.
- Use the keyboard shortcut. Hold the Alt key on the right side of the keyboard and Type 0176 or 248… Release Alt key.
- Tap Num ⇩ (“Number Lock”) key to turn on the number pad, then try again if this doesn’t work.
Method 2 : On Mac
- Go to the place where you wish to put a degree symbol.
- Use the keyboard shortcut and type a degree symbol by tapping Alt+0 or ⌥ Option+⇧ Shift+8 keys at the same time.
- Tap Edit at the top of the screen for drop-down menu to appear if the keyboard shortcut doesn’t work.
- Tap Emoji & Symbols at the bottom of the Edit drop-down menu to open the Character Viewer window.
- Tap the Punctuation tab on the left side of the Character Viewer window.
- Tap the “Expand” icon, box-shaped icon in the top-right corner of the window.
- Find the degree symbol in the third row of symbols, just right of the ^ symbol.
- Double-click the degree symbol to insert the text field in which cursor is placed.
Method 3 : On iPhone and iPad
- Open an app that uses the keyboard to add a degree symbol using iPhone’s or iPad’s keyboard
- Place cursor where you wish to write the degree symbol.
- Tap 123 in the lower-left corner to switch to the keyboard with numbers and symbols.
- Tap and hold the “0” button at the top of the keyboard for a pop-up menu to appear above the 0 button.
- Select the degree symbol by getting highlighted and then release finger to insert the degree symbol into the text.
Method 4 : On Android
- Open an app that uses device’s keyboard is available in the Symbols section of Android’s keyboard.
- Place cursor where you wish to type the degree symbol. Tap a text field where you wish to type the degree symbol. The keyboard should appear
- Tap ?123 or ?1☺ in the lower-left side of the keyboard to show the numbers and symbols.
- Press the secondary Symbols button by tapping a key with mathematics symbols on it. On few Androids, you tap a > key to switch to the second view.
- Press the degree sign button to insert a degree sign into the text field.
- Copy the degree symbol by:
- Press and hold this icon: °
- Press Copy when prompted.
- Press a text field.
- Press Paste when prompted.
Hope above steps, for all the devices mentioned, will help you to type degree symbol.