svchost.exe high disk usage for Windows 10, the users report having an issue with “Very high disk usage of svchost.exe”. This problem can be real trouble for the users. This picks up the disk processing acceleration, and as a user, you can not stop it directly from Task Manager as it is a system application.
Svchost.exe is a system application that is an integral element of Windows OS, utilised when multiple shared service processes are running on the computer.
For many reasons, svchost.exe may spend a substantial amount of disk. But the most outstanding reason is that svchost.exe is influenced by a malware or virus, which automatically force svchost.exe to consume a massive amount of ram and disk.
Before proceeding ahead to stop several svchost.exe services attempt these subsequent tasks and check your query is solved or not.
- Manage a full antivirus scan. You have completed your computer files. Reboot and verify if svchost.exe is still spending an enormous amount of disk.
- Verify if any Windows 10 update is pending or not. If any of the updates are pending, then update your processor. Check if the problem with svchost.exe is fixed or not.
- If your difficulty is still there, then allow for these solutions-
Clear Event Viewer Logs from your computer
Your Event Viewer log may comprise any corrupted file that can oppose the overall service of the svchost.exe and make its consumption of high disk usage. To open Event Viewer Logs to follow the steps-
- Hold Windows key+R to open Run, write “eventvwr” and hit Enter. Event Viewer utility will open.
- On the left pane in the Event Viewer, you will find “Windows Logs“. Tap on it to expand.
- On the cover of the expanded list right tap on “Application” and press on “Clear Log“.
- Redo step 2 for all 4 of the outstanding Log headers- “Security“, “Setup“, “System” and “Forwarded Events“.
- Right-tap on each of them and hold on “Clear Log“.
- After clearing log files, close Event Viewer.
- Reboot the computer.
- Check whether the issue with svchost.exe is still there or not. If the problem is still there work for the next fix.
End Svchost process through Resource Monitor
Completing all the svchost.exe methods from Resource Monitor may stop extensive disk processing power consumption of svchost.exe on your computer.
- Hold Windows key+R to start the Run window.
- Now, type “resmon.exe” and hit Enter. Resource Monitor window will be opened.
- In the Resource Monitor window, tap on the “CPU” tab.
- Now, tap on the Search box of “Associated Handles” and type “svchost.exe“.
- Search outcomes will appear in the Associated Handles section.
- In the search results, right-tap on “svchost.exe” and then tap on “End Process” to end the computer process.
- Redo Step-4 for all the search results to close all the tasks sequentially. Once done, stop the Resource Monitor window. Svchost.exe should not utilise a high amount of disk processing power further.
Fix your Windows Update issues
If there is an error is present in your Windows Update delivery service that can cause this error. You can resolve this problem by ensuing the steps-
- Hold Windows key+R keys concurrently to launch the Run window.
- When the Run window pops up, type “services.msc” and tap on “OK” in the Run window.
- In the services window, scroll down to look for the “Windows Update” service. Right-tap on it and tap on “Stop” to stop the service.
- Go to the location-
- This PC>Local Disk(C:)>Windows
- In the list of folders, choose “SoftwareDistribution” and hold press Shift+Delete to delete it.
- Reboot the computer and verify if the problem is still there or not.
- If the svchost.exe is still consuming a high amount of disk, continue for the next fix.
Disable Background Intelligence Transfer Service (BITS)
Background Intelligence Transfer Service (BITS) is a setting that downloads important files and updates for the computer, working in the framework. If BITS service becomes incorrect, then svchost.exe can enhance corrupted.
- Start the Run window by holding the Windows key and R key together.
- Type “services.msc” in it and tap on “OK“. Run Services.msc 1
- Find out the “Background Intelligence Transfer Service” service and double tap on it to initiate its Properties in the services list.
- In the Properties window, tap on “Startup type:” and select “Disabled” from the drop-down list.
- Tap on “Apply” and “OK” to conserve the changes.
Close Services window and reboot the computer.