How to Reduce PDF File Size document using Smallpdf.com, Preview on Mac, or Adobe Acrobat Pro can be an interesting topic for many. We every now and then encounter a situation with our devices that more and more memory is getting used up due to downloaded files. We can not remove these files, as these are important to us. So, there is a need to reduce the sizw of the same for future use.
Let’s first understand what is a PDF file. The Portable Document Format (PDF) is a file format developed by Adobe in 1993 to present documents, including text formatting and images, in a manner independent of application software, hardware, and operating systems.
Each PDF file encapsulates a complete description of a fixed-layout flat document, including the text, fonts, vector graphics, raster images and other information needed to display it which is based on the PostScript language. PDF was standardized as ISO 32000 in 2008 and have no royalties for its implementation.
PDF files may consists of a variety of content along with flat text and graphics including logical structuring elements, interactive elements like annotations and form-fields, layers, rich media including video content and three dimensional objects using U3D or PRC, and various other data formats. The PDF specification also offers the encryption and digital signatures, file attachments and metadata to help workflows. Now, it’s time to get some tips on how to reduce PDF file size like a pro.
How to Reduce PDF File Size : Methods
- Using Smallpdf.com PDF Compressor
- Using Preview on Mac
- Using Adobe Acrobat Pro
Method 1: Using Smallpdf.com PDF Compressor
- Go to https://smallpdf.com/compress-pdf.
- You can also install a Smallpdf extension in Google’s Chrome browser, if you wish.
- Get the PDF file you want to make smaller.
- Press on and hold the PDF file.
- Drag the PDF file to the Drop PDF here icon on the screen for uploading and begin compressing.
- Scroll down and press on Download File Now on the left side of the screen.
- Tap the location where you’d like to save the file.
- Press on Save for smaller-sized PDF file to be saved to the computer in the location you specified.
Method 2 : Using Preview on Mac
- Open a PDF document in the Preview app by double-clicking on the blue Preview icon that looks like overlapping snapshots.
- Press on File in the menu bar and Open… in the drop-down menu to select a file in the dialog box and tap on Open.
- Preview is Apple’s native image viewer app that’s automatically included with most versions of Mac OS.
- Tap on File in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
- Press on Export As near the middle of the drop-down menu to open a dialog box.
- Tap on the “Format:” drop-down menu.
- Press on PDF at the top of the menu.
- Tap on the “Quartz Filter:” drop-down menu.
- Tap on Reduce File Size.
- Select a location in which to save the PDF.
- Click on Save for a smaller file on your Mac.
Method 3 : Using Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Open a PDF document in Adobe Acrobat Pro thru white Adobe Acrobat app with the stylized with red A icon.
- Tap File in the menu bar at the top of the screen, click on Open to opt for PDF document you wish to reduce in size and Tap on Open.
- Press on File in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
- Tap on Save As near the middle of the drop-down menu.
- Click on Reduced Size PDF.
- Tap the “Make compatible with” drop-down menu.
- Press on the most recent version of Acrobat for limiting compatibility to newer versions of Acrobat that greatly reduces file size.
- Select a location to save the image.
- Press on Save as a smaller PDF file on the computer.
By following the above given methods and steps for how to reduce PDF file size like a pro.