How to Read Memory dmp while trying it on Window 10. Each time a Windows 10 system crashes, it collects and stores key information about the crash such as when and what caused the fatality) and preserves it in the files in the form of minidump files in Minidump.
Analyzing the minidump file, easily understand the reason behind the error. In case, computer recently crashed, and want to know how and where to search the minidump files, follow the methods of these articles, and easily analyze the problem’s reason.
But before going ahead for opening and analyzing the minidump files on a computer, create a system restore point on the computer. In case, if anything goes wrong, you restore the files and settings of the computer.
How to Read Memory dmp Method -1
Using BlueScreenView for analyzing the minidump file
BlueScreenView is an excellent tool for analyzing the minidump files on a computer. Follow steps minutely to attempt doing it-
- Download BlueScreenView on computer. Visit the website to scroll down thru the page, clicking on the particular file matching with the CPU-architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) for downloading it.
- Extract the “bluescreen view-x64.zip” file in a location of choice.
- Go to the computer extraction site for double-clicking on “BlueScreenView” to run it on a computer.
- Check the description of the “Dump File “, “Crash Time “, “Caused By Driver” of the minidump files on your computer.
- When wish to jump in for a more deep understanding of the dump file, double click on it to check the particular file’s properties on your computer.
- If the user wishes to analyze the reason and find the remedy for the cause of the problem, right-click on the dump file and then click on “Google Search-Bug Check+Driver “.
- Easily check what caused BSOD on the computer and follow up to find the procedure to delete the problem’s root cause, with BlueScreenView.
How to Read Memory dmp Method – 2
Using Windows Debugger for analyzing minidump files
Windows Debugger, which is a complete analyzer, helps in minidump files on your computer.
- Download Windows 10 SDK on your computer. Click on “DOWNLOAD THE.ISO” The latest Windows 10 SDK version will be downloaded on to the computer.
- To visualize the files, mount “KSDKWIN10_MULFRE_EN-US_DV9” .iso file on the computer.
- To run the setup, double click on “WinSDKSetup” on the computer.
- Search and choose “Install the Windows Software Development Kit-Windows 10.0.18362.1 to this computer” to click on “Next ” in Specify Location window.
- Try to choose an installation directory on the computer by clicking on “Browse “.
- Tap on “Accept” to accept the agreement to install the kit on the computer in the License Agreement window.
- When prompted for ‘Select the features you want to install ‘, only click the option “Debugging Tools for Windows” and tap on “Install “. The installation process will consume a little bit of time.
- When the installation process is complete, tap on “Close” to close the setup window.
- Tap Windows key+R to launch Run window on the computer, write “cmd” and tap Ctrl+Shift+Enter for opening Command Prompt window with administrative rights.
- Copy-paste commands one by one and hit Enter to execute each of them sequentially on the system.
- cd\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\Debuggers\x64\
- windbg.exe -IA
- Cmd Windbg
- Tap on the search box and type “windbg” to right-click on “WinDbg(x64)*”. Press “Run as administrator” to open WinDbg on the computer to open it.
- Press on “File” and tap on “Symbol File Path “.
- Copy line and paste it in ‘Symbol path: ‘ to tap on “OK” to save it finally.
- Press on “File” and tap on “Save Workspace” to save the changes made.
- Tap Windows key+R to launch Run on the computer. Copy-paste or type this folder location and then hit Enter. C:\Windows\Minidump
- Double click on the minidump file you wish to analyze on the computer to open in WinDbg. Double Click To Open It
- When the kernel symbols are downloaded on the system, tap on “! analyze -y” to fully analyze the issue.
- Wait for a while for the crash data to get analyzed. After the analyzation process is over, find ‘MODULE NAME: ‘and click on the respective module name to further know about the file’s location, which has caused the failure.
- Nvlddkm Module Name
- Now, press Ctrl+F to open Find window, now type “probably caused by” then click on “Find Next “.
You will see the reason for which your system had crashed. You can also notice the “BugCheck” code just below the cause of the problem. Compare the BugCheck code with Microsoft BugCheck Code Reference list to insight into the root cause of the problem.