Print Screen is one of the easy solutions to take a screenshot in Windows 10. In case “Print Screen” of keyboard is not working properly, follow solutions to fix your problem very easily.
The Print Screen Error happens due to the hardware issues, which may be due to keyboard driver problem, the key is not working or some software issues (functional key mode, software running in the background issue).
Go for workarounds initially to try out simpler solutions for the problem, before moving on to the solutions.
- Try key combinations to check if they are working-
- a. Ctrl + Windows key + PrtSc
- b. Ctrl + PrtSc
- c. Fn + PrtSc.
- Check whether the keyboard has any F-lock key, which can disable the computer’s hotkeys’ function. Whether it is enabled, then try to disable it.
- Reboot the computer. In case the problem is happening due to temporary files, it will get fixed.
- Check whether the Windows is updated or not from Settings. Updating Windows will keep away the bugs and glitches, causing the problem.
If any of the workarounds didn’t work out, go for solutions given below-
Fix 1 – Tweak Onedrive Settings
- Right-click on one drive icon on the taskbar in the bottom right and click on settings.
- Click on the Backup tab.
- Check “Automatically save screenshots I capture to one drive” Option.
Fix-2 Close Programs
There may be programs on PC, which may grab PrntScrn Hotkey. Try ending task for programs or uninstalling those programs from your PC. Closing particular programs on the computer may fix the problem-
- Click Ctrl+Shift+Esc for opening the Task Manager window.
- In Task Manager window, scroll down to find applications-
- Snippet tool, or recently installed Software, which may be responsible for it.
- Go to Details tab to choose from alphabetically sorted list programs one by one if they exist.
- Right-click and Choose the end task.
- Reboot your computer. After rebooting your computer, check whether able to take a screenshot with Print Screen key.
Fix-3 Updating the Keyboard Driver
Updating the keyboard driver may fix the issue –
- Click Windows key+R to launch Run, and then type “devmgmt.msc” and Enter for opening Device Manager on computer.
- Expand “Keyboards” In Device Manager window and right-click on the keyboard driver on computer and tap on “Update driver” to update the driver.
- Now, while you are prompted with ‘How do you want to search for drivers? ‘click on “Search automatically for updated driver software “.
- Please wait for a while for the Windows will search the latest version of the driver for PC and install it on the computer.
- If you get to see a prompt saying the “Best driver for your device is already installed” press on “Search for updated drivers on Windows Update “.
- The latest driver of the keyboard is going to be installed with the Windows Update.
- Reboot the computer. After rebooting the computer, try to take a screenshot on the PC.
Fix-4 Use Windows + Shift + S keys together
Tap Windows + Shift + S keys simultaneously from the keyboard, and it will create a screenshot taking area tool and drag an area for which you wish to take screenshots.
Using Screen Snip tool is a straightforward process, and it can be proven an equal if not better alternative when it comes to taking a screenshot on the computer.
- Search Snipping tool for Windows 10 in the search box.
- Select a square area of which you wish to take a screenshot of. Paste it in Paint or Snip & Sketch. As Screen Snip let you decide the screen area to snip, it is way better than a normal Print Screen operation. The problem should be solved.
Fix-5 Cleaning Boot Computer
- Tap Windows Key+R to launch Run. Write “msconfig” and press on “OK “. The System Configuration window will get opened.
- Press “General” tab and then uncheck the box beside the “Load startup items” option in System Configuration window. After that, ensure the “Load system services” option should be checked.
- In System Configuration window, tap on the “Services” tab. Tap on “Hide all Microsoft services” and “Disable all” option in System Configuration window. Tap on “Apply” and press “OK” to save changes on the PC.
- Reboot the computer.
Clean booting the PC will ensure Windows is booted up with only necessary drivers. Try to take a screenshot of the screen and check if the problem is solved or not.