Mouse Scroll Not Working : Let’s get it Resolved
Mouse scroll not working and computer is down. So, when the mouse scroll is not working, then you need not worry. There are solutions available to solve the issue.
Just attempt these fixes on your computer and your situation will be solved in no time. But before moving ahead, you should try these workarounds to solve your problem with minimal efforts.
- Unplug the mouse from computer, wait for a while and plug it in again. Check whether the scroll button is working.
- If still not working, you must check by plugging the mouse to another port on the computer.
- Check whether the scroll button is working or not, just by plugging it to another computer.
- Reboot the computer. If any corrupted file is causing the problem, it will be solved during a fresh reboot.
When workarounds didn’t work out, go for easy fixes.
Fix-1 Update the mouse driver
- Tap Windows key+ R to open Run. Type “devmgmt.msc” and Enter to open Device Manager utility.
- Tap “Mice and other pointing devices” to expand it and right-click on the mouse device using currently. Tap “Update driver “.
- When asked “How do you want to search for the drivers? “. Tap Enter to choose the option “Search automatically for updated driver software “.
- Wait till Windows searches for the compatible driver for mouse, downloads and installs it.
- After seeing a message “The best driver for your device is already installed. “, tap “Search for updated drivers on Windows Update “. Get driver installed along with Windows Update.
- Press’ Alt+F4 ‘to close the Device Manager window.
- You should not face any issue with the scroll button.
Fix-2 Perform a Clean Boot
- Tap Windows Key+R to launch Run. Type “msconfig” and click OK
- System Configuration will open.
- Tap “General” tab to uncheck the box beside the “Load startup items “. Ensure “Load system services” is checked.
- Tap “Services” tab check the “Hide all Microsoft services” and then click on the “Disable all”. Now, click on “Apply” and “OK “.
- Reboot the computer to boot in clean mode. Check whether the error is still happening or not.
Fix-4 Uninstall and Reinstalling Mouse driver
Follow these steps to uninstall your mouse driver–
- Press Windows key+ R to open Run. Now, type “devmgmt.msc” and hit Enter. Device Manager utility will open.
- In the Device Manager utility window, look for the “Mice and other pointing devices” & tap on it to expand & show available drivers. Right-click on the mouse you are using, tap “Uninstall device ” to uninstall the driver.
- In the next steps, we will install the mouse driver again
Reboot computer and Windows will install uninstalled driver itself. You will have your mouse driver working fine again.
If rebooting computer didn’t install the driver to install the driver yourself. Follow to install the driver manually-
1. In the Device Manager window, tap on “Action”. Tap “Scan for hardware changes “.
2. Search the uninstalled the driver and install the driver again.
Fix-4 Start HID service
- Tap Windows Key+R to launch Run and press “services.msc” and push Enter.
- In the list of services, search for “Human Interface Device Service” to double click.
- In the Human Interface Device Service Properties window, check whether the “Startup status” is set as “Running “. Tap on the drop-down beside “Startup type:” and click on “Automatic”. Press “Apply” and tap on “OK “.
- Close the Services window.
- Reboot the computer and after rebooting mouse scroll button should work fine.
- If still, the scroll button is not working yet, go for the next fix.
Fix-5 Change Mouse Properties
- Tap Windows Key+R to launch Run, write “main.cpl” and press Enter. Mouse Properties window gets opened.
- Go to “Wheel” tab and Vertical Scrolling section, set “The following number of lines at a time:” to “5 “. Tap “Apply” and “OK”.
- Now, if you are using a touchpad as a mouse, go to the touchpad settings and change these following settings-
- Tap the “Default” option to reset the mouse settings to its original settings.
- Check the “Gestures” tab and click on options “Inertial scrolling” and “Reverse Scrolling Direction “. Tap on “Save” to save the changes.
- Reboot the computer.
- Mouse scroll will start working fine again.
Fix-6 Update Windows
- Tap Windows key+I to open Settings on the computer. Click on “Update & Security” settings.
- Tap “Check for Updates “.
- Windows will check for updates, and it will download the updates and choose a time to restart the system to complete the update process.
- Wait for the update process is complete.
- After rebooting issue with a mouse, scroll should be solved.
Fix- 7 Uninstall with again Reinstall Touchpad software
- Tap Windows Key+R to launch Run & type “appwiz.cpl” to Enter.
- Scroll down to search touchpad application and double click on it and initialize the uninstallation process.
- Wait for a while till uninstallation process is complete.
- After uninstalling driver, go to the touchpad manufacturer’s website and download the latest touchpad driver.
- Install the newest touchpad driver and after installing the driver, reboot the computer.
You must not be facing problems with the mouse scroll.