Dumpsters can come in handy when you have a lot of waste to dispose of, but before you rent one, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
Many companies have different policies, and it’s important to know what’s allowed.
It doesn’t matter if you’re renovating your house or just decluttering the garage, it’s crucial to know what you can throw in there. And, there are several other things you may want to know in advance.
How to Order a Dumpster?
You typically order one by phone or online. You can get a quote by entering your zip code and scheduling a delivery date.
Most companies work with an agreement, which means you have to sign a contract. That clause states the terms of service and what you can get rid of. Make sure it’s clear on both sides so there won’t be any confusion later on.
What Can I Throw in There?
There are certain items that you cannot throw in there, such as:
- Hazardous materials, including paint and tires
- Large appliances like stoves and refrigerators
- Batteries, flammable liquids, explosive materials, medical waste, and gasoline
- Construction materials like bricks, concrete, wood, drywall, stones, tiles, etc.
There are other items you can’t throw in there based on local regulations or conditions. However, most companies know these rules and will tell you about them. So, if you need a roll-off dumpster in Cape Fear, NC, you can be sure that the company knows all the regulations in this area.
Also, remember that all of this is in addition to the general statewide regulations.
What Restrictions Should I Keep in Mind?
There are several restrictions you need to ask about, such as:
- The allowed weight of the items you’re throwing away
- How long can you keep it, and whether or not there’s a time limit
- Any safety concerns and what kinds of materials and objects are allowed to be disposed of
What Size Do I Need?
The rental company you call can help you determine the size you need. The most common sizes include:
- 10-15 yd – This is a mini-dumpster, perfect for small projects and cleaning up the garage or a small area of your home.
- 20 yd – This is a small size, and it’s good for either cleaning up the garage, basement, or attic. It will hold around eight to 15 garbage bags.
- 30 yd – This is a standard size, and it’s good for bigger projects. It will hold between eight to 20 garbage bags.
- 40 yd – This is the biggest one you’ll find for residential use, and it’s perfect if you’re doing extensive work or cleaning up an entire house or building.
How Much Will it Cost?
Your rental company can give you an estimate, but you should know that the prices vary. For example, you’ll find the most common price for a 10-15 yd dumpster is around $200 – $300, while a 20 yd one costs about $325 – $450.
Price may vary based on location and availability. The price also depends on where you live and the size you need. Since this is a significant investment, make sure to ask about any additional fees for fuel, delivery, and additional garbage bags.
How Should I Prepare for My Dumpster Delivery?
There are a few things that you need to do in order to prepare for your delivery:
- Clear the area where you want it to be placed, including any steps and drives, so that they won’t get in the way of the driver.
- Make sure all obstacles are removed from its path to reach its destination safely.
- Remove any overhead cables or wires, such as electrical lines and phone lines, so that the driver doesn’t damage them.