How to change name in PAN
How to change name in PAN Card
Income Tax Department of India issues a ten-digit alphanumeric identifier which is known as Permanent Account Number (PAN). This is issued to assessee such individual, company and firm. I-T Department also issues e-PAN which is an electronic form of PAN Card and is digitally signed. It is a valid proof of allotment of PAN. Those, who are required to file Income Tax, must have a PAN. Those, who are doing economic or financial transactions where PAN Card is mandatory, must also have a PAN. PAN (Permanent Account Number) is one of the prime identity of an Indian Citizen along with Aadhar card.
Companies, individuals, NRIs, or any Indian citizen who pays taxes is eligible to get PAN card issued.
Types of PAN Card:
PAN card can be classified into the following categories –
• HUF/Hindu Undivided Family
PAN card is valid for a lifetime.
Why should you enrol for PAN card?
The unique PAN or Permanent Account Number is of extreme importance not only for income tax purpose but also because it enables every entity in India with the following –
• Proof of Address
• Proof of Identity
• Compulsory for Tax Filing
• Business Registration
• Financial Transactions
• Gas Connection
• Phone Connection
• Opening and Operating Bank Accounts
• Mutual Funds – it is beneficial to complete e-KYC for mutual fund investments
There are various situations in which PAN may need corrections. We primarily here would discuss the change in name of PAN.
The situations in which a person may have to change the name in their PAN can be as jotted below:
- Marriage (In Indian culture, women may change their name after marriage)
- Divorce (The women who have changed their name after marriage, may change back their name
- Change in spelling in the existing PAN
We would discuss the way in which the PAN name can be changed. It can be made in two ways:
- Online Mode
- Offline Mode
In case of name change in any other reason
- Aadhaar card
- Driving License
- Voter ID
- Published newspapers advertisement containing the updated name
- Diplomas or school certificate
- Or divorce papers, in case of name change after divorce.
If the name is changed after marriage
- Marriage Certificate
- Marriage Invitation
- A copy of passport showing husband’s name
- Official Gazette’s published notice for the purpose of the name change
- A certificate issued by the Official Gazette
- All the above-mentioned documents
- Go to https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserRegisterContact.html . You need to select ‘Apply Online’.
- After that go to ‘Application Type’, and select ‘changes or correction in existing PAN Data/ Reprint of PAN Card (No changes in existing PAN data). Select ‘Individual’ as category. Fill in details such as Title, Last name/surname, First name, Date of Birth, email id, PAN number, whether citizen of India and captcha code. After filling in all the details, you need to click on ‘Submit’.
- After that you will get a message, “We thank you for using online PAN application service of NSDL e-Gov. Your request is successfully Registered with Token Number xxxxxxxxx and the same has been sent on your email id provided in the PAN application. Kindly click below button to fill remaining PAN application form.” You need to click on ‘Continue with PAN Application Form”.
- Subsequently, you will be redirected to Online PAN application page. Check all the details that you filled previously.
- You need to fill in “Name as per Aadhaar”. If you to update photo, signature on PAN, you can by clicking ‘Photo Mismatch’ and ‘Signature mismatch’ on the page. Once all the details are filled, you need to click on ‘Next’. After following all the steps, you will get an acknowledgment slip which will be generated.
- For guidelines, you can visit https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/correctiondsc.html .
- You can check the PAN Card Application status. You need to go to https://www.trackpan.utiitsl.com/PANONLINE/#forward . You need to fill in details like PAN number, Date of Birth, Captcha.
- If communication address is within India, the processing fee is Rs. 110. For communication address outside India the processing fee is Rs 1020. Payment can be made either by demand draft, credit or debit card or internet banking. The demand draft, if used, shall be in favour of ‘NSDL – PAN’ and be payable at Mumbai. Name of the applicant and the acknowledgment number should be mentioned on the reverse of the demand draft.
- To make corrections in PAN offline, an individual needs to submit PAN correction form with the nearest NSDL collection centre and also file letter with jurisdictional Assessing Officer. The fields in this form are similar to the online form.
- It is to be noted that the duly signed acknowledgement with required documents should reach NSDL within 15 days of submitting the online form.
- PAN correction form is used for multiple purposes i.e. to make correction in PAN, reissuance of PAN without correction and to surrender additional PAN, so it has to be filled out carefully.
- Checkbox on the top left of the corresponding fields should be marked and checked properly, since selecting the wrong box could create problems.