Display Driver Failed to Start … Most problems that Windows 10 users always face is related in one or the other approach to their graphics driver. One of the most popular of these problems is Display Driver Failed To Start glitch in Windows 10.
As the name states, this failure shows up as a notification when your Graphics card driver fails to start. This demanding issue usually arises after a Windows 10 update. It may also happen when the graphics card driver established on your PC is having some inconsistencies. There might be extra problems as well, but these two are the most popular ones.
Display Driver Failed To Start
The Display Driver Failed To Start Windows 10 failure may happen for any graphics card, be it NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel graphics card. This piece seeks to find possible methods to fix Display Driver Failed To Start glitch in Windows 10.
How To Fix Display Driver Failed To Start error
If the Display Driver Failed To Start error has shown up just once, you need not bother. A simple restart is recommended to fix the problem for you. If you are getting this error message multiple times, you must try out the following methods in the order they are mentioned below.
#1 – Update Display Driver to fix Display Driver Failed To Start error
If the restart has not worked for you, you should analyse updating the display driver on your PC. After updating Windows 10, seldom old graphics drivers are recognised for generating problems. You must try this method, even though you do not remember updating Windows 10. Follow the given steps:
- Step 1: Initiate Device Manager on the PC. For this, hold the Windows + X buttons on the keyboard at once. From the Win+X menu, click on the Device Manager option.
- Step 2: In the Device Manager menu, search for Display Adapters option When found, tap on it to increase its possibilities. In there, you will find the driver of the graphics card installed on the PC. Right-tap on it, choose the Update Driver option from the right-click menu.
- Step 3: From the new Update Drivers window that opens up, you will have to choose the Exploration for the updated driver software option automatically.
- This will commence looking for a renewed version of the graphics driver installed. If an option is possible, it will download and install it on the computer.
- After the update, restart the PC and see if you are getting the Display Driver Failed To Start error. If you are, jump to Method 3 and reinstall graphics driver.
- The latest variant of the graphics card driver is previously installed on the PC, and you will not modernise it. Try to Roll Back the display driver.
#2 – Roll Back Display Driver Update
If your display driver was working fine beforehand and has been updated lately, you might need to adhere to the older driver. You can quickly roll backwards to the earlier variant of the display driver installed. Here’s how to:
- Step 1: Track Steps 1 and Step 2 of Method #1 discussed above. You do not have to tap on the Update Driver option, alternatively, tap on the Properties alternative.
- Step 2: This will expose the Properties window. Here, proceed to the Driver tab and tap on the Roll Back Driver button.
- Initiate the method of rolling backwards the graphics card driver to its earlier version. When the process is concluded, do a Restart on the PC.
- After that, examine whether the Display Driver Failed To Start Windows 10 error still shows up. If yes, you require to try Method #3.
#3 – Reinstall Display Driver to fix Display Driver Failed To Start Windows 10 error
You should work to reinstall graphics card driver if updating or rolling following the driver didn’t operate for you. Follow the measures to reinstall graphics driver.
- Step 1: Repeat Step 1 and Step 2 examined in Method #1, but instead of selecting the Update Driver option, choose the Uninstall option.
- Step 2: Now, if you have Intel graphics driver installed, go to the PC manufacturer’s website to download the most advanced graphics driver compatible with PC and Windows version.
- If you use NVIDIA or AMD graphics card, go to the respective websites and download the latest driver compatible with the graphics card model and PC.
- Step 3: Run the downloaded driver file to introduce it on PC.
- When the installation is terminated, you will have to restart the PC.
- After restarting, see if you got the Display Driver Failed To Start error. If not, try out the following scheme.
#4 – Reinstall Windows 10 Without Losing Personal Files
Although this method is one of the sure-shot techniques to eliminate the Display Driver Failed to Start error in Windows 10, it is not prescribed unless there are no alternatives left. You will be equipped to preserve the data, but all the software and apps installed on the PC will be lost. If you are available, let’s go through the levels to Reinstall Windows 10:
- Step 1: Tap open the Windows Start menu and select the Settings option there.
- Step 2: In the Settings window, tap on the Update & security option.
- Step 3: In Update & security window, proceed to the Recovery option.
- Step 4: In the Recovery window, the first option you will notice is the Reset this PC option. There, tap on the Get started button.
- Step 5: Now, you will get two options. Here, you have to tap on the Keep my files option. All the apps and settings will be removed, but not the personal files.
- Once you choose that, a wizard will help you reset, or you can say, reinstall Windows 10 on the PC.
- Once the reinstall is concluded, your Display Driver Failed To Start Windows 10 error would have been determined.
#5 – Scan PC for Malware
There are two probabilities regarding Malware that could be creating the Display Driver Failed To Start error to show up. The mere presence of Malware could trigger this error on the PC. The other possibility is that hackers utilising Malware to display fake Display Driver Failed To Start error to show up, later leading to pishing.
What you should do hither is administered an Antivirus or Antimalware scan on the PC. If you do not have an antivirus installed on the PC, here are a few best antivirus software for Windows 10 obtainable out there. Run a scan, and if malware is detected, eliminate it right away from the PC. When done, restart the PC and see whether the misunderstanding is still there.
#6 – Install Windows Updates
If Windows drivers are not up-to-date, it could be possibly causing the Display Driver Failed To Start Windows 10 failure to show up. Please consider updating the Windows 10. Here’s how to update Windows:
- Step 1: Tap on the Start button to initiate the Start menu. In the Start menu search bar, write Settings. From the search result, tap on the Settings option.
- Step 2: In the Settings window, you will notice an Update and Security option; Tap on it.
- Step 3: From the Update & Security window that starts, proceed to the Windows Update section. You will find a Check For Updates button there which you will have to click.
- Windows will start viewing for recent Windows updates. Observe the update wizard comprehensive the Windows 10 update.
- Your computer will restart after the update is concluded. When done, examine if the Display Driver Failed To Start failure still shows up. If this doesn’t solve the issue, go to the following method a try.
#7 – Make A SFC Scan
When you administer an SFC scan on the PC, it scans through the system files. In case corrupt files are found, this utility fixes it. The Display Driver Failed to Start mistake in Windows 10 could be showing up as the corrupt or harmful driver files. Obey the below-mentioned steps to do an SFC scan on the PC:
- Step 1: Hold the Windows + X keys simultaneously on the PC. From the Win + X menu that opens, choose the Command Prompt (Admin) option to open the Command Prompt in admin mode.
- Step 2: When in the Command Prompt window, type the following command and hit the Enter key: sfc/scannow
- When you begin the scan, you will have to wait for some time. The SFC scan continues for around 10 to 15 minutes on average. Ensure not to interrupt the scan and wait till the scan is entirely terminated.
- After completing the scan, restart the computer and check if the error is still popping up. If yes, give Method #8 a try.
#8 – Do System Restore to fix Display Driver Failed To Start error
When it is System Restore, it brings the computer back to a point in the past. You can reestablish the system to an end when you didn’t use to get the error. For a System Restore to proceed to have System Restore Point formed in advance. In case, you do not have a System Restore Point on the PC. Regrettably, you will not proceed with this step. Here are the steps to attempt a System Restore in Windows 10:
- Step 1: Find the This PC icon on the Desktop. When located, do a right-tap on it. From the right-tap menu, tick on the Properties option.
- Step 2: A new window will begin. Choose the System Protection option, which will be possible on the left panel.
- Step 3: This will open a new window. You will find a System Restore button. Tap on it, choose the restore point to which you require to restore the PC.
- Just take care that the date of the restore point you choose dates before you start to get the Display Driver Failed To Start Windows 10 failure. Run the Restore and wait till System Restore is finished.
When you carry out a System Restore, it will wipe out all the data stored on the PC after the restore point’s date to select ultimately. It is highly recommended that you take a backup of the files you would like to put on an external drive before making a System Restore.
Reinstalling Windows or System Restore will for inevitable fix the problem. But, if you cannot move out any of the given methods, you must contact the PC manufacturer’s customer support to assist you in fixing the problem.