Corrupted Registry In Windows 10 : Solutions for Fixing it
Corrupted Registry can turn your PC into a brick. Even superficial Registry damage can lead to a chain reaction within your Windows OS, damaging your data beyond recovery. So, you need to fix the corrupt Registry fastly.
So, what leads to damaged Registry in Windows 10? You can get a corrupted registry on PC because of several reasons. One of the leading cause that leads to Registry damage is some manual change in the Registry. Even the little bit of difference in Registry can cause significant issues.
It is suggested not to mess with the Registry unless you know what you are doing. Sometimes, even harmful software can generate a corrupted Registry in Windows 10.
You will not get to boot the system. There may be Registry, and we will cover different ways if the first one selected your corrupted Windows 10 registry.
Solution 1 – Repair Windows 10 of Corrupted Registry
Fix corrupted Registry in Windows 10 is using Windows RE mode, that is Recovery Environment mode. You can quickly enter Windows RE mode without booting Windows normally, and then carry out the auto repair. To repair Windows 10, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: The first boot the computer in Windows Recovery Environment. Start PC, any error shows up, or the login screen, hold PC’s Power button as long as the PC turns off. This may need to keep the Power button for around 5 seconds and is known as Force Shut Down. Once the PC powers off, repeat force shutting down PC a few more times till your PC shows Preparing Automatic Repair screen. Wait until the PC runs diagnostics and starts Windows RE mode.
- Step 2: Following the dialogue. Tap on the Advanced Options.
- Step 3: You will get three options; tap on the Troubleshoot option.
- Step 4: Tap on the Advanced Options.
- Step 5: Here, you will find six various options to choose from. Tap on the Startup Repair option to give repair screen where Windows will first run a diagnosis, fix the detected problems for you. The tool will show that error was fixed if that was the case. In case the problem is done with, you will be kept informed about the same.
Once the Windows RE tool tells that error was fixed, try to start the PC usually.
Solution 2 – Use Registry Cleaner Tools
- Download Regsofts Free Registry Repair tool
- Install it on PC.
- Tap on Start Scan to Scan Registry Errors.
- Tap on finished, Tap on Fix Errors to solve all Registry Errors.
- Although a Registry Cleanup doesn’t show a promising result, there’s no harm in trying the method out, as it has worked for users to fix corrupted Registry.
Solution 3 – Restore Registry Backup to Fix Windows 10
This method will try to restore the Registry to a previous state when the computer was working just fine. This method is also known as restoring PC to an earlier state using the remote Registry backup.
Follow steps carefully to carry out the method to fix corrupted Registry in Windows 10:
- Step 1: Start the computer, and as soon as it starts, keep pressing the F8 key repeatedly until you get the Advanced Boot Menu. Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt option. Log in as an administrator. Log in with your ID and password. PC will boot with Command Prompt open. Safe Mode Cmd
- Step 2: Check which drive Windows has installed in it. The drive names are C: D: or E: Let us assume the Windows OS drive is C.
- Step 3: Extract and examine the recent activities in Windows. Type the following command in Command Prompt one at a time and press Enter :
- cd /d C:\windows\System32\config
- xcopy *.* C:\RegBack\
- cd RegBack
- Method1 S2
- Try to pull off the details to/by any Software, System files, or SAM files. Go through the date of the changes which show up to see.
- Step 4: Type the following commands one at a time and tap Enter after every line:
- copy /y software.
- copy /y system.
- copy /y sam.
- Restart PC in normal mode. This would solve the problem, as this one has helped users fix corrupted Registry in Windows 10.
Solution 4 – Run SFC Scan
SFC Scan or System File Checker is an inbuilt tool in Windows 10 that are corrupt files in the system file directory. Use it to run a scan through your PC, and it will look for corrupt files in your Registry, and set it if found. Users have reported this tool to restore corrupted Registry in Windows 10. Here are the steps to follow:
- Step 1: Follow Step 1, as mentioned in Method #1 to boot PC in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- Step 2: Type the command and hit the Enter key on your keyboard:
- SFC /scannow
- Sfc Scan
- The SFC scan will start running. This may take some time to complete. Never interrupt the scan until it is complete. When the scan is over, restart PC in normal mode to see if the corrupt Registry error shows up.
- If the error prevails, a couple of additional steps that you will need to follow. It sometimes happens that the SFC scan is unable to fix all the corrupt system files. Run a DISM Scan or Deployment Image & to service Management Scan. This scan repairs corrupt system files which didn’t let SFC scan fix do work ultimately.
- Restart PC in Safe Mode with Command Prompt as mentioned above. Type the given command in Safe Mode Command Prompt:
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- When the DISM scan is over, rerun the SFC scan using the SFC command mentioned above. After the SFC command completes, restart PC again in normal mode.
Solution 5 – Reset Windows 10
Windows will be reset like it was new without any Registry error because Windows 10 is reset, Windows settings will be reverted, and programs installed on PC will be gone. However, you can always ensure that files will not be deleted.
- Step 1: Follow Step 1, Step 2, and Step3 of the above method to open the Troubleshoot menu in Windows 10 Recovery Environment.
- Step 2: From the Troubleshoot menu, choose the Reset this PC option.
- Step 3: Select the Keep my files.
- Step 4: PC will be readied now for a Windows 10 Reset. The Reset Wizard’s instructions will quickly guide you for a Windows 10 reset.
- This process may take several minutes. Therefore Windows 10 reset will run. It may take a couple of minutes. Try and login to your PC usually and check if corrupted Registry error shows up or not.
Registry of your Windows is a significant and sensitive part to be taken care of delicately. Do not follow it unless you ensure it is a legitimate process if found with methods to tweak the Registry manually.
You can contact PC manufacturer’s customer care to get Windows 10 Corrupted Registry fixed for you.