Are you thinking of buying a BB gun Australia gun shops have today? Or perhaps, you are still new to the world of hunting and shooting, and just need to understand this type of hardware. Well, you are in the right place!
In this article, we will talk about what a BB gun or rifle is and the key considerations that make this piece a good fit for certain users.
Basically, a BB gun is an air gun that shoots metallic ball projectiles or pellets, called BBs, which are around the same size as that of lead birdshot (.180 inches in diameter). Its name is often used to describe airsoft guns, but it is actually different in the way that airsoft guns shoot plastic pellets. Also, airsoft guns have lower ballistic performance than BB guns.
BB guns can also come as a handgun or a rifle. Depending on your requirements and the type of shooting activity you are going to do, choosing the right type will ensure accuracy and performance while you are on the field.
One of the most popular manufacturers of BB guns and rifles today is Daisy Outdoor Products.
There are many reasons why people buy a BB gun Australia gun shops have today, but the primary purposes of its design are the following.
BB guns are popular in events where low-calibre air guns are required, such as plinking, target practice, and certain shooting competitions. You can also use such guns in casual target shooting that you can do in your own backyard or an open field in your area.
Small game hunting
With mounted compact riflescopes, like Bushnell scopes, BB rifles can give the accuracy you need when hunting small games at shorter distances. Hitting rabbits and squirrel is easy as long as you use a model that meets the calibre and propulsion required for hunting.
A .20 or .22 calibre BB gun that shoots with a minimum muzzle velocity of 1,000 feet per second (fps) is effective in eliminating varmints, such as mice, rats, and certain birds. This type of gun is a much safer option for residential pest elimination than regular guns.
As previously mentioned, BB guns come as handguns or rifles. So, which one should you choose? It depends on the type of shooting activity you are having.
Ideally, you should choose a handgun for close-range shooting. On the other hand, if you are going to hunt games where you need to be far from your target, then you are better off with a rifle. The same as choosing Howa rifles over handguns.
Of course, you can have both a handgun and a rifle, with the former serving as your secondary weapon that you can switch to when needed.
There are many options for BB guns on the market today, with designs and prices varying greatly. To make shopping easier, you just have to make some important considerations. Here’s a checklist for you:
- Budget – Determine how much you are going to spend on a BB gun. Prices can range from as low as $50 to as high as $1000. However, the cheaper models would not work for high-end use.
- Features – BB guns come in a range of features depending on their design. For example, they have different propulsion systems—carbon dioxide (CO2), pneumatic, pre-charged pneumatic, and spring piston. Their designs could also affect the precision and power they offer.
- Build type – Most BB guns are made of ABS plastic, a material known for its extreme strength, durability, and impact resistance. However, there are also those made of metal, but they can be a bit pricier.
- Accessories – The accessories required for using a BB gun are just a few, but there are situations where you will definitely need them. For example, if you are hunting, then you would need Hawke scopes Australia gun shops have for improved precision and accuracy.
- Legalities – BB gun ownership is also governed by certain laws and regulations. So, do your research to know whether or not you have to be a member of a gun club or get a specific licence to own one.
While a BB gun Australia gun shops sell is not as powerful as a real gun, it should still be treated as one. After all, it still has the capacity to inflict harm when handled carelessly.
With that in mind, you should still observe the necessary safety precautions for gun ownership with this piece of hardware. Always treat it as if it is loaded and never allow it to be taken to school in case you are buying it for a young person. Wear protective gear while you are out on the field using a BB gun and always store it in a proper place when not in use.
Following the recommended safety measures will go a long way to maximise the enjoyment of owning a BB gun. For more useful and interesting reads that you can use for everyday life, browse our site!