During its WWDC 2021 event, Apple spread down a slew of policy modifications for the App Store, altering the rules for everything from bounty hunting to whether or not Roblox is a play.
Now, with the WWDC 2022 possibility ready to begin on June 6th, Apple is reminding developers that it’s ready to flip the button on some policy updates that were previously delayed.
The policy about online group benefits (like classes and events) wasn’t part of the WWDC 2021 set of changes — it predates that, but Apple has postponed enforcing it three times. The first pause came in 2020 after Facebook complained it would unfairly influence vulnerable small businesses, then another delay came in the spring of 2021.
It was set to eventually take effect this past January, along with the policy about permitting users to initiate account deletion within an app.
Apple confirms two App Store rule modifications will take effect as of June 30th: a provision that apps offering paid online group services employ its in-app payment system and a provision mandating.
In addition, the developers furnish easy account deletions (including stored personal data) within any app that allows users to create an account, along with a requirement that apps offering paid online group services use Apple’s in-app payments.
But on January 22nd, Apple moved the deadline for both changes out another few months to June 30th, stating it would provide developers more time to update their apps.
So we don’t anticipate seeing any more delays now that Apple’s sent out reminders. One is a note about the account deletion provision, which you can read below, but both policies are mentioned on the upcoming changes page for developers.
Apple Account Deletion Requirements:
- The account deletion option should be easy to find in your app.
- If your app offers Sign in with Apple, you’ll need to use the Sign in with Apple REST API to revoke user tokens when deleting an account.
- It’s insufficient only to provide the ability to disable or deactivate an account temporarily. People should be capable of deleting the account along with their data.
- Apps in highly-regulated industries may deliver additional customer service discharges to confirm and facilitate the account deletion procedure.
- Follow applicable legal conditions for storing and retaining user account details and handling account deletion.
- It includes conceding local laws in diverse countries or regions. As always, review with your legal counsel.