Top Crib Mattresses 2019
With the arrival of a new baby, you have to make so many arrangements to prepare a safe and comfortable nursery for your little one.
Your ‘bundle of joy’ spends most of the time in the crib sleeping. Good sleep plays an important role in all over growth and development of the baby. Therefore, the first thing you need to shop for a baby is a good quality crib mattress.
No doubt, choosing the right crib mattress to ensure warmth, comfort and safe sleep environment for your bundle of joy is not that easy. It requires lots of recommendations and research. The priority should be to look for a mattress that is firm, safe, cosy and fits in the crib securely.
What Features You Should Consider to select a quality Crib Mattress
There are so many options in the market to confuse you. To help you but best crib mattress, we have summarized the points you need to consider before making your choice.
- Firmness – An adult may not find firm bedding comfortable, but it is essential for infants as it prevents SIDS. Soft mattress conforms to baby’s head or face shape and thus can lead to sudden infant death syndrome due to increased risk of suffocation. However, a firm mattress reduces this risk and also promotes muscle development and strength. The mattress should be firm enough that your baby stays flat even if rolls on her/his stomach.
If your child is a toddler, now, it is time to get him/her a new and slightly softer mattress.
You also have an option to select a mattress that is firm on one side and slightly soft on the other side so that you can use it even after your baby gets older.
- Size – Second thing to consider while buying the best crib mattress is the size. Crib mattress are available in different shape and sizes. You have to buy that closely fits the crib. Make sure the mattress is not too small or child may accidentally stuck between it and the crib and get hurt. Follow a simple rule you should not be able to fit more than 2 of your fingers in between the cot and the mattress. Best will be buying a crib first, measure it and then buy a mattress accordingly.
- Mattress Vents – Your little one will poop, pee and vomit. Bacteria and mold grow on a wet mattress and lead to bad smell. This is why mattress vent is essential as it prevents moisture and keeps the mattress hygienic and clean. Also, it allows easy breathing and prevents suffocation in case you baby accidentally rolls his face down.
- Waterproof – Molds quickly grow under the surface of the crib mattress. But waterproof mattress prevents it from getting wet from inside.
*Make sure if you select the mattress with fabric on exterior use a waterproof cover.
- Organic mattress– It is preferred to buy an organic mattress free from the chemical left behind during manufacturing that may hamper your kid’s health and aggravate medical issues such as asthma (However, no official health evaluation proves this).
Organic mattress is free from chemicals and is made up of natural material. You may find it little expensive but worth buying considering your child’s health.
Should You Buy A Second Hand Crib Mattress?
It is better to avoid buying second hand crib mattress especially if the history of the product is unknown and you are not sure of owner’s effort to keep it clean and hygienic. . In case of a second hand mattress you are unaware of any incidence that might have put the crib mattress at risk of growing mold. Also, you are unaware of fact how it was cared and stored. So better buy a new one for your little one.
*If you have purchased a new crib mattress for your first child and all these years you have kept it clean and stored at a dry place and if mattress has not sag you may use it the new family member
Purchasing A Crib Mattress
In today’s internet world, you do not need to wander from one shop to other in search of any item you need to buy. You can easily purchase almost anything online at amazon. To make your task easy our team has listed below best crib mattress 2019. We have also provided you Amazon link to find the best price and order your choice.
Best Crib mattress 2019
1.. Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer All Foam Crib Mattress
It is one of the most economical but safe crib mattress. This mattress offers two sides. One of the side is firm enough for the new-born and the other side is designed softer for a toddler.
Material/ Fabric – This mattress is designed in four layers. First is nylon cover and then woven fire barrier. The third layer is high-density foam that has added plant oils and last layer is of firm high-density foam.
- It is an organic mattress
- The mattress is easy to clean as it is made up of waterproof fabric
- Medical grade stretch knit makes it odour resistant and antimicrobial
- Safe Sewn seams prevents the penetration of dust mites
- The mattress is PVC, Vinyl and leads free
- It has internal fire barrier
- The shape is simple with clean lines, surface is smooth and edges are square and cornered
- Other features are stain resistant and hypoallergenic
- The mattress is Quality tested
*The only con point is that the side for the toddler might still be too firm.
How To Clean – Never use harsh cleaning products on the mattress. Neither use diaper wipes to clean it. It is advised to clean crib mattress only using a damp cloth or sponge.
Size – 27.5” x 5” x 52″
2. Milliard Memory Foam Crib Mattress
The Milliard crib mattress is comfortable. One of its best feature is that it regulates the body temperature of the child and is designed with proper airflow.
Material/ Fabric – The cover of the mattress is made up of bamboo that makes it not only waterproof but also machine washable. You can easily remove the cover and wash it. The 3lb memory foam prevents it from losing shape and allows you to use the mattress as long as need it.
- Non-toxic materials used
- No chemicals used
- Natural fibreglass lining to meet the fire safety standards
- CertiPur certified.
- Quality brand and fabric
- Foam base ensures a firm surface for the young ones
- Dual use for babies and toddlers
- Anti-crease design
- Makes no noise when the baby sleeps
*Only con point is that memory foam has its possible safety hazards.
Cleaning Instructions – Do not use any harsh chemicals to clean the mattress or its cover. Wipe the mattress with a damp cloth or wet sponge for spot cleaning. You can also remove the cover and wash it in the washing machine. Dry the cover properly before covering the mattress with it.
Size – 27.25 x 52 x 5.5”.
3. Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams
It is a lightweight mattress. It has two sides. The infant side is firm enough for support and optimal protection. The toddler side is comparatively soft and has extra cushioning. The cover is waterproof fabric thus easy to cleaning and also prevent fluids from penetrating the mattress.
Material/ Fabric – 100% PEVA with high-density thermo bonded fibre that provides firm support.
- GREENGUARD Gold certified.
- PVC free and free of phthalates and lead
- Five-years warranty
- Has won the women’s choice award.
- This mattress meets federal flammability standard
- Can easily be wiped clean
- Resists odours stains and mildew
*Only con point is that the waterproof cover cannot be removed and you cannot wash the whole mattress.
Cleaning Instruction – Do not use harsh cleaning products to clean the mattress surface. Spot clean using a damp sponge or cloth and wipe off the dirt.
Size: 52” x 27.5” x 5”
4. Sealy Soybean Natural Dream Infant/Toddler Crib Mattress
The cotton cover of this mattress is odour, stain and water-resistant. It is lightweight with an extra firm base for new-born’s optimal safety. The corners are square to provide a snug fit for most of the cribs and the toddler beds.
Material/ Fabric – Soybean oil infused fabric with natural woven fibres and cotton cover.
- Hypoallergenic soy foam
- Allergy barrier
- CertiPur approved
- The cover is PVC free
- Waterproof lining.
- Air Quality Certified Foam
- Offers cool surface
- Dual-use mattress. Both babies and toddlers can use
*Only minus point is that you cannot remove the waterproof cover or wash the whole mattress. Also, for a toddler mattress, it might still be firm.
Cleaning Instruction– This mattress is not at all suitable for washing with detergents. Spot cleaning with damp sponge or cloth is only advised.
Size: 27.25” x 51.36” x 5”.
5. My First Crib Mattress and toddler bed mattress
One of the best feature of this mattress is that it is specifically designed so that it can last longer and not just a couple of years. It’s made with firm foam & memory foam. You can remove the waterproof cover for machine wash that makes cleaning easier. It can be used by both infants and toddlers.One side of the mattress has a layer of memory foam, keeping the toddler’s comfort in mind. For even weight distribution the memory foam layer contours the body. On the other side there is layer of firm foam for your infant’s safety.
Material and fabric
- High density foam
- Memory foam
- Polyurethane foam
- Long lasting and durable
- CPSC approved
- CertiPur US seal
- Phthalates free
- Low emmision of volatile organic compound
- Lead & mercury free
- It is made without Tris flame retardants
- Mattress meets safety norms defined by American Society for Testing and Material crib mattress and by the CPSC
- No noise when baby sleeps
*The Only con point is that the cover of mattress cover is not crease free
Cleaning Instructions – You can easily remove the cover and wash in washing machine. But make sure before covering the mattress the cover should be completely dry. For spot cleaning mattress use damp sponge or cloth. Never use harsh cleaning products on the mattress or cover.
Size: 51 -5/8” x 27–1/4” x 5”.
Our recommendation for best crib mattress is based on customer reviews and our team’s research. Select the one according to your preferences and needs considering your budget. To test how the product feels you may also check out the product in a physical store, compare the price and purchase at best price available online or at store.