Exterior doors are valuable elements to all homeowners. When it comes to remodeling a home, it becomes one of their major projects because it impacts the overall appearance of a home. So, keeping a front door looking good is a way of making the house keep looking valuable.
Since a front door can increase your ROI and value, there is no doubt that there are factors that you should never overlook. Thwindowsdoors has compiled some of the aspects you should know concerning cot of exterior doors.
- Part 1 – Cost Information
Before installing exteriors doors, you have to choose a material that you are going to use. There are several materials that manufacturers use to make the front doors and wood top the list for being expensive. When considering the least popular doors, aluminum, glass and vinyl fill the gap. Although the tree materials are less popular, they make excellent choices for storm and sliding doors.
If you are not in a hurry, you can DIY a front door. It should take you about 6 to 8 hours. But, if you want it done professionally and quickly, the professionals take 2 hours or less.
Depending on the quality, material and the time spent in installing a front door, the cost of installation of single doors varies. On average, you will spend $950 to $ 1,750 on steel doors, $850 to $1,450 on wooden doors, and $1,800 to $3,500 on fiberglass doors.
- Part 2 – Cost Installation
The cost of exterior doors is determined by the nature of your project. The costs includes installing your entry doors and all its components.
When considering the cost of locks, you can spend anywhere between $65 and $175 on the lower end. This cost is for the primary lock, and the price is determined by the design of the lock.
For the medium end locks, prepare to spend around $85 to $225. These locks have upgraded features from the basic locks and are electronic.
The high end locks costs between $200 and $400. These locks have a lot of technology used in them and have handles and bolts.
When installing sliding doors, its width is the determining factor. But, installing sliding doors is generally expensive. You can spend around $800 to $1,500, and the cost can range from $1,300 to $3,500 for wider doors.
Storm doors, like sliding doors, are costly to install. Their installation cost ranges from $1,000 to $ 3,000. When more time and labor are used, you can spend $1,500 to $4,000.
The least expensive doors to install are storm doors. You can spend $700 for wooden storm doors and $300 for vinyl.
- Factors Affecting Cost
- The door and lock type: this is the primary determinant of the cost of installing the front door. To make them more appealing, make your front door complement your home’s design.
- Aesthetics: you can add aesthetics to your exterior doors to make them more appealing. These can be done by adding carvings on your door, slide lights and even transom. These will cost you between $2,000 and $3,250.
- Quality of the material: the materials available for making entry doors come in basic or economic versions. Economic versions are more expensive than basic versions, and they come with upgraded features.
- Labor: it depends on the complexity of installing the door and time consumed.
- Contractor: each contractor comes with their pricing. There are those that extremely expensive and charge beyond the market price and those that are relatively affordable.
- Advantages and Disadvantages
For any project, there is the good and the bad part of it. Replacing exterior doors is not exceptional. Here are some of them:
- Installing a new door help in upgrading your home’s security, enhance the energy efficiency, and choose from a variety. It is also affordable.
- When poorly installed, a replacement door can be costly.
- It also requires a lot of planning, especially when you want to add aesthetics to your door.
- It is hard to have a successful installation for inexperienced homeowners, so, they have to spend on having a professional.
- The Pretty Side
When you install your home with a replacement door, you can increase your ROI with 91%. This ROI is among the best performing in projects relating to house remodeling.