Telangana’s Covid recoveries touch 2.70L

With consistent improvement in Covid recovery rate in Telangana, the number of recoveries almost touched 2.70 lakh on Tuesday.

The state continues to see more Covid-19 recoveries than new daily count of cases. During the last 24 hours, 596 people recovered from the virus, taking the cumulative numbers to 2,69,828.

The recovery rate improved to 96.85 per cent against the national average of 95.1 per cent.

The state now has 7,272 active cases and of them 5,169 are in home or institutional isolation.

Health officials said 491 people tested positive during the last 24 hours, pushing the cumulative number of positive cases to 2,78,599.

Three more people died of Covid taking the death toll to 1,499. The fatality rate remains at 0.53 per cent against the national average of 1.5 per cent. According to the director of public health and family welfare, 44.96 per cent of the deaths were due to Covid while the remaining 55.04 were on account of comorbidities.

Of the new cases reported, Greater Hyderabad accounted for 102. Rangareddy district saw the second highest number of new cases at 35 followed by Medchal Malkajgiri (33), Karimnagar (29), Warangal Urban (28) and Khammam (24).

Of the 48,005 tests conducted during the last 24 hours, government-run laboratories accounted for 46,437 while remaining 1,568 samples were tested in private labs.

Samples tested per million population ratio rose further to 1,66,279.

The daily testing target for the state is 5,600 per day as per the World Health Organisation (WHO) benchmark of 140 per million per day, officials said

Eighteen government-run laboratories, 54 private laboratories and 1076 Rapid Antigen test centres are conducting the tests in the state.

Out of total positive cases so far, 70 per cent (1,95,019) were asymptomatic while the remaining 30 per cent (83,579) were symptomatic.

Over 90 per cent of beds in government-run hospitals treating Covid-19 in the state remained vacant.

Out of 8,561 beds available in 61 government hospitals treating Covid, 7,818 beds were vacant. A total of 743 people were undergoing treatment in these hospitals.

Similarly, in 220 private hospitals treating Covid, only 1,360 beds were occupied. Out of 7,935 beds, 6,575 were vacant.

The data shows that 63.9 per cent of those tested positive so far were aged between 21-50 years. As many as 22.91 per cent were aged above 51 years. The positive cases include 13.18 per cent who were below 20 years.

Of the total cases, 60.44 per cent were male and 39.37 per cent female.