With spines outside and sweet, tangy taste inside, pineapple is one of the favourite tropical fruits. But besides its delicious taste, it has much more to give you. Pineapple is a powerhouse of nutrients and possesses numerous health benefits.
Pineapple is packed with nutrients. One cup of fresh pineapple fulfils the daily requirement of 40 percent of vitamin C, 10 percent of thiamine, 6 percent iron and 6 percent magnesium. Besides this, it is also a rich source of antioxidants, phosphorous, niacin, calcium, potassium, riboflavin, copper, manganese, beta carotene, folic acid and soluble and insoluble fibre. But one thing that makes pineapple the healthiest food is bromelain. The enzyme bromelain has lots of therapeutic value. It is anti-cancerous, anti-clotting and anti-inflammatory. It breaks fibrin that clots the blood into simpler forms. Bromelain is also beneficial to treat inflammatory conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, rosacea, eczema and dermatitis. Enjoy pineapple grilled, sauteed or raw. But to sustain a healthy life do add it to your daily diet.
Let us discuss the health benefits this tropical fruit carries
Pineapple boosts immunity – Vitamin C works as an antioxidant and plays a vital role in the functioning of the immune system. Pineapples, as we have discussed above, is rich in vitamin C, thus it protects the body against disease-causing microorganisms. So if you suffer from recurrent ear infections, flu, cold and other infectious diseases include pineapple in your diet to prevent illness.
Eat pineapple if you have a cough or cold – The bromelain present in the pineapple has the property to thin the mucus and reduces the production of phlegm. This improves breathing. Also, vitamin C boosts the immune system and fights infection. It suppresses the flow of mucus and cough. Thus, pineapple is very effective in easing the symptoms of a cough and cold. So next time when you suffer from common cold and cough, then instead of taking conventional medicines, why not try eating pineapples. You may also enjoy a pineapple smoothie.
Pineapple strengthens the bone – Manganese assists the strengthening of bones and connective tissues. One serving of pineapple fulfils 70 percent of the daily requirement of manganese. Eating pineapple in young age promotes the growth of the bones and in the later stage, it helps in bone strengthening.
Pineapple aids digestion – By soothing the linings of the intestine and stomach, pineapple aids digestion. Also, it contains soluble and insoluble fibre that adds bulk to the stool and cures constipation. Proteolytic enzymes present in pineapple help in the breakdown of protein. Also, enzyme bromelain aids the digestion and reduces bloating and flatulence. Eating pineapple has been found to neutralize the body fluids and stimulate the secretion of pancreatic juices. Even if you are suffering from an infection of the intestinal tract, inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach and duodenal ulcers eat pineapple to cure your condition. But yes make sure not to eat it in excess, or it will lead to gastrointestinal distress.
Pineapple helps in weight loss – Pineapple is low in calories. It is high in water and rich in soluble and insoluble fibres. A half cup of pineapple provides less than 60 calories, but also gives a feeling of fullness, provides enough energy and suppresses the cravings for fats and sugars.
Eat pineapple to eliminate intestinal worms – The best way to get rid of intestinal worms such as tapeworms is eating fresh pineapple. The enzyme bromelain present in the pineapple is anti-parasitic and helps in eliminating them out of the intestine.
Pineapple is anti-cancerous – Studies show that bromelain has cancer-fighting property. To make chemotherapy more effective and suppress the growth of the cancer cells pineapple is found very effective. Pre-treatment with bromelain reduces the malignant tumours and prevents the spread of cancer to the other parts of the body. Beta carotene present in pineapple prevents cancer of the prostate and cancer of the colon. Also, an antioxidant present in pineapples fight cancer-causing free radicals and prevents several types of cancer. However, more research is being done regarding this.
Eat pineapple to relieve nausea – The minerals and vitamins present in the pineapple especially vitamin B6 alleviate nausea. Pregnant women should consult a gynaecologist before taking it to relieve morning sickness as the pineapple is believed to cause abortion.
Eat pineapple to relieve hypertension – If you are suffering from blood pressure, eat a bowl of pineapple daily. It is low in sodium and high in potassium. Thus, it maintains the blood pressure within the normal range. Even if you do not have high blood pressure have it daily to prevent hypertension in the near future.
Pineapple fights inflammation – The bromelain present in the pineapple is a natural anti-inflammatory and is useful in treating strains, sprains, tendinitis and other minor muscle injuries such as bruises. You will also find eating pineapple alleviating the pain of arthritis and gout.
Eat pineapple to keep your eyes healthy – Pineapple, as we have discussed above, is rich in vitamin A. Vitamin A is essential to maintain good eyesight and also prevents macular degeneration.
Pineapple is good to maintain oral health – Vitamin C prevents gum diseases and prevents the deposition of plaque on the teeth. So to keep your teeth and gums healthy, eat pineapples as they are rich in vitamin C. Bromelain is a natural stain remover and so eating pineapple keeps your teeth white and bright. Bestowed with astringent properties pineapple also strengthens the gums. But yes, make sure to rinse your mouth properly after eating pineapple as it is acidic in nature and long exposure to acids soften the enamel and results in tooth damage.
Pineapple improves the circulation of the blood – Copper is required for the production of the red blood cells and pineapple are rich in copper. Red blood cells carry oxygen and nutrients to different cells of the body.
Pineapple promotes wound healing – This property of pineapple is owed to its high vitamin C content that promotes the production of collagen and prevents secondary infection.
Pineapple improves fertility – Vitamin C, zinc, beta-carotene, copper and folate present in pineapple boosts the fertility perks in both males and females. The folic acid content in pineapple improves the reproductive system and reduces the chances of birth flaws.
Eat pineapple to keep your heart healthy – To improve your blood circulation and keep the flow of blood smooth you can rely on pineapple. Bromelain thins the blood and thus, reduces the chances of heart disease such as stroke and heart attack. Vitamin C fights free radicals and prevents the deposition of atherosclerotic plaques. Also, the presence of vitamin K and bromelain makes it a natural anticoagulant.
Pineapple is an accepted diuretic – Besides the above health benefits, pineapple also is a natural diuretic and flush out toxins from the body and thus keeps kidney healthy.
Skin and hair benefits of pineapple
Along with several health benefits, pineapple is also good for your skin and hair. Let us have a look at its beauty benefits.
1. Eat pineapple to keep pimples at bay and glows skin – Being rich in vitamin C pineapple prevents the outbreak of pimples or acne, lightens the skin tone and repairs the damaged skin. The enzymes present in pineapple promote the elasticity of the skin and also removes the dead cells. Being rich in antioxidants and manganese eating pineapple fights free radical damage, reduces fine line or wrinkles and slows ageing.
2. Eat pineapple to keep your skin hydrated – Pineapple is bestowed with hydrating and moisturizing properties. Take 3 tablespoons of crushed pineapple, 1 egg yolk and little milk. Mix all the ingredients together. Apply them on your face, leave for a minute and then rinse it off. You will get the radiant and moisturized skin.
3. Pineapple strengthens and softens the nail – Lack of vitamins results in brittle and dry nails. So eat nutrient-rich pineapple and strengthen your nails. To make your nails shiny and soft take a tablespoon of pineapple juice, a teaspoon of lemon juice, two drops of lemon oil and the yolk of one egg. Mix all the ingredients and apply it to your nails. Rinse it off after 15 minutes.
4. Pineapple helps to get rid of cracked feet – Pineapple promotes the production of collagen. It posses exfoliating property, sloughs flakes and makes feet soft and smooth. Add pineapple juice to coconut oil and apply it on foot. Leave it overnight and rinse off in the morning.
5. Pineapple thicken hair and prevents hair loss – By making small dietary changes and including pineapple to your diet, you can prevent hair loss. Pineapple contains antioxidants and vitamin C. The enzymes present in pineapple enriches the hair follicle, improves the elasticity and thickens the hair. Also, if you suffer from scalp inflammation pineapple is your solution as it treats the infection and soothes itch and inflammation.
Along with being healthiest fruit, pineapple posses its share of side effects that need to be discussed:
- The meat tenderizing property of pineapple may trigger allergic reactions such as swelling of the lips, tenderness or tickling in the throat. Usually, these symptoms resolved on its own in a few hours. But if not resolved immediately consult your doctor.
- Pineapple is high in natural sugars. So if you are a diabetic patient better avoid eating it.
- If you are on blood-thinning medicines better avoid eating pineapples as it may increase the risk of bleeding.
- If you are taking certain medicines such as amoxicillin or tetracycline avoid eating pineapple as it may interact with them and cause side effects such as fever, chest pain, dizziness, and nose bled.
- Although the toxicity of bromelain is very low it is associated with nausea, but if eaten unripe pineapple may cause vomiting.
Hope you find this article informative. If you have any related information on benefits of pineapple to share, do add to the comment section below.