You’ve just had your Rhinoplasty surgery in Toronto, and now you’re at home wondering, “How will I sleep tonight without ruining my nose job surgery results?” Sleeping is an important part of the recovery process. A good night’s sleep with a splint on your nose may seem difficult to achieve, especially if you’re a restless sleeper or a stomach sleeper. Your surgeon did his part, and it’s now up to you to do yours to ensure that you achieve the best results possible from your Rhinoplasty. Therefore, some helpful tips can certainly make the recovery process easier and more comfortable.
Your surgeon will have provided you with post-care instructions, activities to avoid, medications, as well as what to watch out for during your recovery. While sleeping habits are quite individual, there are some suggestions to help you have a safe and restful nights’ sleep.
How to sleep after Rhinoplasty in Toronto
Keep your head and shoulders slightly elevated after your rhinoplasty in Toronto. If you’re accustomed to sleeping on your front or side, you may need to practice resting on your back prior to your surgery. It’s recommended that you sleep in this position, with your head and shoulders elevated between 30-45 degrees for the first 5-7 days.
The reason for elevating your nose is that gravity affects fluid retention and pressure. When you lay flat, or if your head is lowered, you’ll feel painful pressure and could see swelling increase. The elevation will also make it easier to get up from a resting position without straining.
If you’re prone to sleeping on your stomach, a travel pillow may be helpful to prevent you from rolling onto your stomach while sleeping.
Take Medication As Directed
Many patients don’t need anything stronger than regular Tylenol, and you may be someone who avoids taking medications when possible. We understand, but if you’re having trouble sleeping, staying on top of pain medication helps a lot. Sleep is essential for recovery and mental health.
If your issue is congestion, not pain, you may want to use a saline spray several times a day to help clear your airway. Check with your surgeon to see what’s safe and recommended for you.
Some Tricks For A More Comfortable Sleep
- Some Toronto rhinoplasty patients sleep in a recliner for a few days. These chairs can be convenient because they’re easy to get in and out of, they adjust and prevent you from rolling over.
- For your bed, a simple trick involves boosting the whole top of the mattress. You can place firm cushions or books under the top of the mattress and create a smooth incline with firm support.
- Airplane pillows come in very handy after rhinoplasty because they support your neck. You can bring an airplane pillow when you travel around too, even if it’s just to different rooms in your home.
- Sleep alone for the first few days. If someone beside you is a restless sleeper, you may have trouble getting the rest you need.
- You may benefit from setting up more than one comfortable place to rest at home. While you’re not limited to laying in bed all day, you’ll want plenty of rest in the first few days and staying in bed for hours on end, can get boring. A relaxing spot in the living room with back and neck support, snacks and entertainment at hand, makes for a more enjoyable staycation.
What Happens If You Accidentally Turn Over While Sleeping?
It’s not uncommon to have anxiety about sleeping. Patients are often concerned about what they may do while they are asleep. Don’t worry. The surgical dressing or nasal splint protects your nose while asleep for the first 7-10 days. Rolling over is not likely to cause any physical damage, however it may prolong sensitivity and inflammation, and possibly wake you.
When Can You Sleep Normally Again?
Dr. Philip Solomon is a renowned Otolaryngologist Head and Neck Surgeon specializing in Facial Plastic Surgery and Rhinoplasty in Toronto for 20 years. On average, Dr. Solomon performs 8-10 rhinoplasty surgeries each week. He usually advises his patients to adjust their sleep position for 5-7 days following their surgery. When scheduling your rhinoplasty in Toronto, Dr. Solomon and his staff take pride in their patient care and will answer all your questions throughout your surgical process and recovery. You’re welcome to schedule a consultation at the Solomon Nasal and Facial Plastic Surgery Centre.
Image credit: Rhinoplasty surgery via BLACKDAY/Shutterstock