The primary function of mitochondria; the powerhouse of the cell is to take in the nutrients and break it down to produce energy. But with age, the number of mitochondria in the cell decreases and this, in turn, reduces the longevity and health. Research also suggests that it prevents oxidative damage and protects the body from various diseases.
Mitochondrial support supplement contains a compound PQQ or pyrroloquinoline quinone which promote the generation of new mitochondria and also increases the production of cellular energy.
What IS PQQ
This compound was first discovered in bacteria as a cofactor that helps the enzymes accomplish the reactions. In bacteria, it is synthesized from amino acids glutamate and L-tyrosine.
A human body makes 100-400 nanograms of pyrroloquinoline quinone every day. But how it is synthesized is not clear. Studies on animals show that a diet that is deficient in this compound limits growth and reproduction. Scientists now believe that PQQ is, not an enzymatic cofactor is human but is presumed to be a non-vitamin growth factor. It is also present in certain foods and soil and is believed to promote the production of new mitochondria.
PQQ supplements are available at pharmacies and health stores all over the world. But before you head to your nearest pharmacy store to buy PQQ supplements, let us acknowledge its benefits. There are also foods that contain this energy bumping and health-promoting compound which we have enlisted in this article.
Benefits Of PQQ
- Enhances The Function Of Brain- A study done in 2016 found that PQQ promotes the flow of blood to the brain and improves the function of the brain. In elderly it protects the brain against dementia and cognitive decline and also prevents the reduction of working memory, attention and other brain functions.
- Supports the Nerve Growth Factors- For cognitive improvement, it is essential that the quantity and quality of neuron is improved. Neurons are the cells that transmit the messages, and this is how our brain communicates with the rest of the body and among itself. Nerve growth factors are a small group of molecules having a key role in the development and the maintenance of the nerve cells. PQQ influences multiple cellular pathways and promotes the production NGF or nerve growth factor. It stimulates the growth of nerve in the brain and protects the neurons.
- Improves sleep- Constantly waking up can make you drained and exhausted. PQQ has shown to improve the quality and duration of sleep. You will fall asleep and also will stay asleep for a long.
- Reduces Oxidative Damage- The antioxidant property of PQQ prevents oxidative damage of the cells and also prevents the build-up of harmful free radicals. A study done by the Hokkaido University of Japan shows that pyrroloquinoline quinone prevents the oxidative death of neuron cells and has the potential to prevent neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease. A study done on mice also show that PQQ inhibits the DNA damage and reduces the risk of osteoporosis. Also, this compound supports energy metabolism and promotes healthy ageing.
- Extends the Life Span- PQQ is believed to act as a life extender and controls the process of ageing. A study conducted on roundworms and published in Experimental Gerontology found that PQQ supplementation reduces oxidative damage and also increases longevity. However, research done till date is limited to animal studies and test tube, and more research is to be done on humans to evaluate the effect of PQQ in increasing longevity.
- Relieves Inflammation– Inflammation is the response of the body’s immune system to fight off bacteria, virus and other foreign bodies. However chronic inflammation contributes to certain chronic diseases such as heart diseases, diabetes and cancer. Pyrroloquinoline quinone has antioxidant properties. It fights free radical damage and prevents inflammation and cell damage. Journal Of Nutritional Biochemistry published research conducted on five males and five females who were given PQQ supplements. In 3 days the result showed a decrease in markers of inflammation.
- Decreases The Level Of Cholesterol- Cholesterol is essential as it makes the foundation of the cell membranes and is also used in the production of bile acids, hormones and fat-soluble vitamins. But too much cholesterol clogs the blood vessels and forces the human heart to work hard to pump the blood. This increases the chances of stroke and heart attack. A study conducted in Japan showed that PQQ lowered the level of bad cholesterol in 29 adults.
- Promotes the Function of Mitochondria- One of the known benefits of PQQ is that it improves energy level. PQQ stimulates the biogenesis of mitochondria or production of new mitochondria cells and is linked with improved energy utilization. Animal studies show that deficiency of PQQ in mice reduces the mitochondrial content, may impair the function of mitochondria and cause neurological problems, muscle weakness, gastrointestinal issues and also increases the risk of infection.
Foods That Contain PQQ
There are foods sources that can provide you with all the PQQ that your body needs. Below is the list of foods that are good sources of PQQ:
- Fermented soybean products such as Natto
- Green Pepper
- Fava Bean
- Sweet Potato
- Egg Yolk
- Green soybeans
- Field mustard
- Green tea
- Green peppers
Add pyrroloquinoline quinone rich foods to your daily diet if you want to enhance health, increase the level of energy and prevent chronic diseases. But those who want to kick up the intake of PQQ my consider its supplement form.
PQQ Supplements: Doses And PQQ Side Effects
There are countless brands of PQQ supplement is available in the market. Buy PQQ supplement from a reputable and trusted brand. Make sure that PQQ is extracted from fermented bacteria overtypes and have been produced synthetically in the lab.
There is no set dose of PQQ. Most of the supplements are in dosage 20-40 milligram and is considered effective and safe.
PQQ Side Effects
A few sensitive people have reported PQQ side effects such as insomnia and mild headaches if too much dose is taken. If you experience any side effect better decrease the intake pyrroloquinoline quinone and see your doctor. Better avoid taking extremely high doses to prevent adverse health consequences.
*Pregnant women and nursing moms better avoid PQQ supplements and include foods rich in pyrroloquinoline quinone in their diet.