Proning is a proven medical method for getting more oxygen while you breathe.
In this patient have to lie down on his stomach (face down), this procedure is recommended to do for about 30 mins to 2 hours in one session.
By this method, blood flow increases in your lungs. Lungs will then work better to get more oxygen. In Oxygenation, this procedure is 80% effective.
How to do Proning (step by step procedure)
- For Proning you will require four to five pillows.
- First let the patient lie down on the bed, face down (on stomach).
- Keep the first pillow below your neck from the front side.
- Next, keep two to three pillows below the neck, chest, and stomach.
- Keep the rest of the pillows below your foot. Remember to take deep breaths regularly.
Keep in the same position for 30 mins to 2 hours, as this will ease you in getting good amount of oxygen. Between 30 mins to 2 hours, change positions regularly from left to right sides. See images below for better illustration.
Important things to consider while Proning
- Don’t do proning after a meal.
- You can do it for about 16 hours a day, it will help you and you will feel better while breathing.
- Keep in mind about any wounds or cuts.
- Move pillow positions to adjust pressure points.
When you should not do Proning
- Pregnant ladies should not do it.
- Don’t do proning in serious Covid situation.
- If you have any backache or spinal cord injury, then avoid it.
Do share with us your experience of Proning, have you tested it yet?