Pain in any part of the body, especially the delicate parts, can be excruciating. Anyone affected with ear infection would know the upsetting effect it would cause. Sometimes the pain would ebb into other parts of the body and would manifest as headaches or toothaches. The culprits for ear infections can be bacterial infections, viral infections, allergies, cold due to climate change, sinus infections, water in the ear etc. And these problems can occur in any part of the ear – the inner ear, middle ear and outer ear. There are many treatments for ear infections; but, today we will talk about the most popular and natural way of treatment, that is, using essential oils for ear infection treatment.
But, what does ear infection feel like? Minor cases of ear infections will feel like you have water in your ears or it is the feeling when you get to a high altitude. The most common ear infections happen when the tube (called Eustachian tubes) connecting the middle ears to the back of the throat gets blocked. Some infection or pain may be caused by a ruptured eardrum. When should you see a doctor? Most ear infections are usually harmless. However sometimes the pain may be severe and will result in dizziness and fever; in these times do not wait, just see a doctor. Sometimes ear infection can cause hearing impairment. However even after receiving medication and creams for treating the ear infection, it is a good idea to use essential oils as a supplementary therapy.
The best part of using essential oils for ear infection is that it can not only soothe the pain and discomfort, but its aroma can lower anxiety and stress. But, now here’s something that would be confusing. Which essential oil would you choose – the ones for ear infection or the ones for stress? Which ones work for both? See, the world of aromatherapy, essential oils and aromatherapists is not as simple as it seems from the outside. If you order gyalabs essential oils you will see that there are different active ingredients for different oils and these ingredients give the oils different therapeutic powers. But, here we have segregated a list of 11 essential oils that have anti-inflammatory, analgesic and anti-anxiety properties that can mitigate the symptoms and pain of ear infections and calm the senses.
11 Proven Essential Oils For Ear Infection
1. Lavender essential oil for ear infection – The essential oil of lavender is extracted from the flowering plant lavandula belonging to the mint family. This oil has analgesic, anti-inflammatory and sedative properties. The sedative properties of the oil help in benumbing the pain. Lavender oil is perhaps the most popular essential oil available at Gya Labs. It is gentle to the touch and is safe for every skin type.
2. Treating ear infection with Tea Tree essential oil – The essential oil of tea tree is from the Melaleuca alternifolia species of tall shrubs and belongs to the myrtle family of plants. Tea tree oil is considered to be amongst the strongest essential oils and it has antimicrobial, antibacterial and antiviral properties that can fight ear infections caused by pathogens. Tea tree oil is oftentimes blended with other oils with pleasant aroma for a soothing effect.
3. Chamomile Essential Oil for mild ear infections – Chamomile oil is considered to be safe oil and can be used on children in case of minor ear infections. The oil is extracted from the annual plant Matricaria recutita, which is also known by several different names including German chamomile, blue chamomile, Hungarian chamomile and scented mayweed. The oil has several medicinal properties that make it a good tool in the fight against infections of the ear.
4. Fight ear infections with Oregano essential oil – The oil of oregano is obtained from the flowering plant Origanum vulgare which belongs to the mint family Lamiaceae. The properties of the plant and its oil include antimicrobial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory. The aroma of the oil is used in aromatherapy to get relief from stress and anxiety. Oregano essential oils are also used in treating infections affecting other parts of the body. The oil of oregano is often blended with other oils to get faster relief from ear issues.
5. Basil essential oil for ear infection symptoms – Basil oil is extracted from the culinary herb Ocimum basilicum which belongs to the mint family of plants. Also known as great basil, this plant has long been used for its medicinal properties. Besides its antiseptic properties, basil oil also has antispasmodic properties that can relieve the tension in the ear muscles thus relaxing it. Applying the oil on the ears will give relief from pain and inflammation.
6. Thyme essential oil for ear care – The essential oil of thyme has antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antifungal properties due to the presence of its active ingredient thymol. It has been pscientifically proven that thymol has the following benefits – antifungal, antioxidant, antibacterial, antiseptic, antispasmodic, expectorant, sedative etc. All these properties make thyme oil useful in treating infection of ears regardless of underlying cause.
7. Ear infection treatment with Rosemary essential oil – Extracted from the Salvia rosmarinus shrub, rosemary oil has good healing abilities that can heal ear issues and reduce pain and inflammation. Besides ear infections, rosemary oil is also used in treating infections in different parts of the body. Rosemary oil also lessens pain and relieves stress and anxiety and is very useful in treating ear problems.
8. Essential oil of garlic for ear issues – Garlic has been used in Ayurvedic medical practice since ancient times, as far back as the 2nd century BCE. The oil extracted from the plant Allium sativum has wide spread use in healthcare because of its therapeutic properties. One of the benefits of garlic oil is that it enhances the circulation of blood when applied locally. The oxygenated blood lowers the inflammation of the ears.
9. Eucalyptus essential oil treats ear infections – The tall evergreen tree Eucalyptus Globulus is famous for its health benefits. Anti-inflammatory and vasodilatory properties of the tree’s oil are responsible for combating ear infection. It widens the blood vessels and more blood reaches the infection affected region and provides sufficient nutrients to fight the malady.
10. Orange essential oil for ear problems – extracted from the Citrus sinensis plant which belongs to the family of sweet lemons, orange oil is packed with anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Unlike other oils in the list, orange oil induces energy in the body, which helps it fight the infection with vigor.
11. Clove bud essential oil treats ear infection naturally – Clove oil is extracted from the buds of the tree Eugenia caryophyllata which belongs to the Myrtaceae family of plants. The oil has soothing and other therapeutic properties which make it a good choice in treating issues relating to the tooth and ears. Several researches have established that clove oil can relieve the symptoms of ear infections.