No doubt if a man notices dry skin on penis her will be alarmed. However, there no need to panic as in most of the cases, there is no underlying medical condition, and it is not a common sign related to sexual disorders such as genital herpes or genital warts.
Then, what causes skin on penis to dry?
What Causes Dry Skin On Penis?
The possible causes of dry skin of penis are listed below:
1. Yeast Infection – Yeast infection is men is uncommon but may happen when a man intimates with women suffering from candida vaginitis, which is common in females. Yeast infection in men causes dryness and peeling of the penis skin. Other symptoms include rash and white patches on affected area. There is irritation and swelling around the penis head. Urination and sex become painful. In addition, there is an accumulation of uneven, thick discharge under foreskin.
2. Soap – Using soap to clean your private parts is one of the mistakes most of the men do each day. Soaps and harsh cleansers dry outs the skin and damages the protective barrier making it easy for the viruses and bacteria to enter. You may choose a mild shampoo or a baby shampoo to wash the penis. However best is to use plain warm water.
*Avoid too much washing
3. Dry Sex– In a women who is stimulated and is ready for sex, the vaginal gland secrets lubricant that protects her delicate parts and makes it easy for her partner to insert penis. The lack of lubrication is a common issue in females who are reaching menopause, have infection, suffering from PCOD or chronic illness or are on the specific medication. Prolonged dry intercourse in men destroys the natural bacteria and causes inflammation and tearing in both the partners. This in turn dries the penis skin in men. Thus, we suggest you to use lubricants. Better, choose oil based or water based organic and chemical free lubricants. Lubricants that contain glycerine of parabens cause irritation. Water-based lubricants have less chance to cause burning or irritation.
4. Dry masturbation– Many men choose death grip and dry rubbing masturbation techniques to experiment and pleasure himself. However, both the methods are not suitable for the penis skin. Men do produce natural lubrication during masturbation but, many men wipe it off to maintain the friction. Nevertheless, this bad practice irritates the nerve endings. In addition, it causes redness, soreness and micro tears, and the skin eventually becomes dry.
5. Allergy – There are men allergic to spermicides, latex and even to the personal fragrance that may cause dry skin on the penis. Also, they develop a red itchy rash or swelling on the penis after wearing a latex condom. Other signs of allergy include wheezing, sneezing, watery eyes or runny nose. If using latex condom is a cause better use of a latex-free condom.
6. Tight Clothing – It is advised to avoid tight clothing around genitals. Tight clothing rubs the skin and results in moisture build-up under the skin. This, in turn, promotes the growth of fungus increases the chances of infection and dries the skin.
7. Eczema or Psoriasis – If the underlying cause of dry skin on penis is eczema than you will also have other symptoms like bumps or intense itching. You need to consult a dermatologist for diagnosis and treatment.
Inverse psoriasis that affects the penis appears initially as dry lesions on the skin. In addition, there may be small red patches on shaft or glans penis. See the doctor for treatment of psoriasis.
8. Laundry detergents – There are laundry detergents that contain harsh chemicals and can cause skin dryness. It is always advised to choose natural laundry detergents that reduce skin irritation and dryness.
Symptoms Associated with Dry skin On Penis
Dry skin on the penis causes itchy or red skin. The skin feels tight, especially after bathing, and there is peeling or flaking of the skin. In addition, there might be rash, fine lines or deep cracks on the surface that sometimes bleed.
Dry Skin On Penis Treatment
Once the cause of dry skin on penis is known, it becomes easy to treat the condition. The first line of treatment is using a quality moisturizing cream after shower and follow the steps discussed below:
- Wash penis with warm water (not hot water)
- Do not use harsh soaps
- Pat dry after a shower and then apply a moisturizing cream
- Wear loose, and soft cotton underclothes
- Use lubricants while having sex
- Avoid dry masturbation
- Avoid latex condom and spray deodorants
- Use hypoallergic laundry detergent
- Drink lots of water and stay hydrated
Should You Worry About Dry Skin on Penis
Dry skin on the penis is very common, and sometimes it happens even after practising proper penis care. Nevertheless, is it a fleeting issue and should you worry about it?
Mostly if you start, taking care as mentioned above the problem solves. However, there are cases where dry skin on penis do not respond to quality moisturizers and need medical attention. If even after following home treatment for a couple of weeks your condition gets worse it might be eczema, psoriasis, fungal infection, allergy or in some cases STD so better consult a dermatologist. Your doctor will inspect the genitals to diagnose the underlying cause and decide the treatment.