Can Giloy Truly Boost Your Immune System And Heal The Body?
Giloy juice is one of the popular options to improve your immunity in a herbal way. It is an Ayurvedic herb, which has been advocated since ages in Indian medicine to boost immunity, digestion and treat chronic fever. Due to its abundant medicinal properties, this Ayurvedic herb is also known as ‘Amrita’, which means the root of immortality.
Nutritional Value of Giloy
Giloy is abundant in alkaloid. It is rich in flavonoids, lignans, and carbohydrates. Besides, it also contains protein, iron, fibre, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin A and fibre.
Benefits of Giloy
1. Boosts immunity – The ‘root of immortality’ is a herb rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants fight free radicals, purifies the blood, removes body toxins, and combats urinary tract infection and liver diseases. Research also shows that giloy juice removes bacteria and virus out of the body. Also, it is used by the expert to treat infertility and related heart conditions. Our immunomodulatory herb improves all over body immunity. It is an immunostimulant and helps our body to fight off viral and bacterial infections.
2. Treats chronic fever – Giloy is antipyretic. It helps to treat recurrent fever and also reduces the symptoms of conditions such as malaria, swine flu and dengue and increases the count of blood platelets.
3. Improves digestion – Amrita herb has the ability to flush out body toxins and boost digestion. Giloy powder, when taken with Amla or jaggery help in treating constipation. Giloy effectively addresses bowel-related issues and improves digestion.
4. Manage Diabetes – The variety of phytochemicals present in giloy improves the level of blood sugar. Phytochemicals reduce oxidative stress in the body and promote the secretion of insulin. Research has also found that giloy significantly counterbalance diabetes-induced oxidative stress. Being hypoglycaemic giloy is beneficial in patients who have type-2 diabetes in reducing the level of sugar and lipid in the blood.
Fights off Respiratory Diseases – The anti-inflammatory properties of this ‘immortal herb’ prevents common respiratory infection such as common cold, tonsillitis, and cough. It also provides relief to asthmatic patients. Giloy can very well manage the symptoms of asthma such as shortness of breath chest tightness wheezing and coughing.
Combats anxiety and stress – Giloy is an adaptogenic herb. It contains adaptogens that help your body to adapt to stress. Also, it helps you to get rid of toxins and keep you calm.
Delays the onset of osteoporosis in females – Studies show that the extract of Giloy root has an osteoprotective effect and delays the onset of osteoporosis.
Protect your heart – Regular consumption of the juice of Giloy reduces the level of serum cholesterol. Besides, research has found that it can potentially normalise the metabolism of lipids that indirectly benefit the help of heart.
Other Benefits Of Giloy
1. Reduces the risk of eye problem –
Giloy is useful in treating eye issues such as redness burning and itching.
Boil a few reasons of glow in the water. Let it cool down and then apply eye this water over the eyelids. After 10 to 15 minutes, rinse your eyes with warm water.
2. Treat wounds – The ‘Root of immotality promotes healing of cuts, wounds and abrasions.
Grind Giloy leaves to make a fine paste. Apply to the affected area. After 2 to 3 hours, wash the affected area with water.
3. Hair loss – Regular application of Giloy paste on scalp not only controls dandruff but also prevents hair loss and promotes hair growth.
Grind a handful of Giloy leaves to make a fine paste. Mix the paste with honey or rose water and apply it over your scalp. Massage for a few minutes and then leave it for 2 to 3 hours. Finally, wash it with herbal shampoo of your choice.
Giloy is immunomodulatory. Its plant is all over available in India. In addition, Giloy juice and its powder is easily available at Ayurvedic stores. However, this does not mean you can pop up the supplement without the advice of your doctor. Consult your doctor to know the correct dose and duration for the consumption.
The medicinal properties of the ‘Root of immorality’ have been approved by food and drug administration. It is consumed in the form of juice, powder or capsules. It is safe to be consumed by adults as well as children age five years and above.
How To Consume Giloy
You can consume the ‘Root of immorality’ in the form of juice powder, tablet and capsule.
1. Giloy juice –
Mix water and giloy juice in equal quantities. Drink it two times a day before meals to boost immunity.
2. Giloy powder –
To 2 cups of water, add a teaspoon of Giloy powder. Boil it to reduce the quantity to half a cup. Drink this concoction two times a day before or after meals.
3. Giloy capsules – Swallow 1-2 capsule as recommended by your physician with water every day after meals.
4. Giloy churna – At Ayurvedic stores, Giloy churna is easily available. Consume a half teaspoon of this churna with lukewarm water or mix it with organic honey and consume. Take it two times a day after meals.
5. Giloy tablet – Giloy tablets are available at Ayurvedic stores in the form of Giloy Vati. Take 1-2 Giloy tablet as prescribed by your physician. Swallow the tablets with water 2 times a day after meals.
Precautions To Be Taken while Using Giloy
1. Always, consume or use the root of mortality’ as recommended by your physician or strictly under the supervision of your doctor.
2. It is suggested to apply Giloy to a small area on your skin and test for any possible reaction before external applications.
3. Let your doctor know about the medicines you are taking before you start taking Giloy.
4. Giloy interferes with the level of blood sugar during and after surgery. This is why it is advised to avoid its consumption at least two weeks before the surgery.
5. Avoid it if you are a breastfeeding mother or a pregnant woman.
The content is purely educational and informative. It is not to be constructed as medical advice. Use the content in consultation with a certified healthcare or medical professional.