Best Mosquito Repellents available in India 2020
Best Mosquito Repellents are required in summer when it becomes intolerable not only due to heat and humidity but also becomes worse because of the beginning of mosquito season. We all have to take refuge using various techniques to keep pesky bugs away from our homes and surroundings. Most of us use repellents at home but forget to take once we’re out in the gardens, playgrounds, or even on roads. India is a hot and humid country, has several mosquito-borne diseases. It becomes quite dangerous when the little step of applying a repellent gets skipped in a hurry.
Let’s discuss some points that you should keep in mind the process of selection of a mosquito repellent to choose the best one according to your requirement and age.
Keep reading to know about the best mosquito repellents available in India. It will save you from getting a mosquito bite and the diseases that might occur. It will give protection to you and your family.
Guide to Choose Best Mosquito Repellent in India 2020
In the endeavor to select the best mosquito repellent for yourself, just like almost all other things in the business, each mosquito repellent is suitable for a specific requirement and that you should keep in mind.
Best Mosquito Repellents feature: Consistency
One of the essential criteria of difference for the repellents is their consistency and application. Four main types of repellents are – spray, cream, roll-on, and stick-on patch.
Best Mosquito Repellents feature: Convenient to Use on Skin and Clothes
Gels are great to use as it can be applied not only on the skin but also on the clothes. You must make sure that it is sprayed on the surface and rubbed properly to spread it evenly.
Sprays are recommended as these are compact and can be carried with us in a purse or a bag. Sprays are available in expensive as well as more economical range to choose from according to your preference and budget.
Best Mosquito Repellents feature: Types and their Usage
Use Cream or Gel Types to Step Out
Cream or Gel type repellents are applied on your skin just like any other cream. These are recommended to those who want to have control over product and its usage. By using Cream or Gel, they can apply according to their needs.
Unlike other repellents, these take longer to sync with the body properly. You have to wait for a while for the stickiness created by applying to fade away. It is better to use and then step out as they, at times, form problems due to leakages if placed in a hurry in the bag.
Travel with Roll-On Stick to Minimize Leakages
Roll-on and stick repellents available in the market contain a gel formula which, when applied to vulnerable spots, act just like with cream or gels. You can control the amount of usage of products according to your requirements.
Also, some formulas can be applied directly to the skin and feel quite nice as the gel has a cooling effect. These are easy to carry while you’re traveling because there’s not much fear of the product spilling in the bag.
Repellant Patches Work Well for Kids
A mosquito repellent that is best for kids is the repellant with the patch. It is herbal, organic, chemical-free, and toxin-free. The patch type repellents are natural to use. These reduce the risk of ingesting the repellent by the kids. It can be used on clothes as well as on the body. These are great for travel, outdoor and sporting purposes.
But these are not the strongest one to repel mosquito and work where there aren’t too many mosquitoes in the surrounding. So other types of repellents must be kept handy.
Check the Ingredients of the Repellant
It is essential to check the ingredients as some people might have some allergies to certain chemical products. For this, natural and herbal alternatives can be considered for better results.
DEET for Effectiveness for Adults
DEET, the most effective chemical to repel mosquitoes, is the chemical whose concentration determines the strength and need of the repellant. 20% to 50% DEET products are recommended for the effects to last for a few hours.
Although it is the best-known mosquito repellent, still it is not recommended for younger children and people having sensitive skin. It gives rashes when applied directly on the skin in large quantities.\
Herbals Better Option for Kids
Naturally derived ingredients such as citronella oil, eucalyptus oil, and neem oil, work well as natural insect repellents. Products like natural picaridin from black pepper plants and oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE) also help in mosquito repelling. As above stated natural ingredients are less strong as DEET, they are considered safe for younger kids and people with sensitive skin. Citronella, neem, and eucalyptus oil-based products are not as effective as picaridin and OLE-based repellant. These are commonly available and cheaper.
We now have some suggestions for the best mosquito repellents available in India and hope that the list will help you make your decision while buying the best mosquito repellant according to your requirements.
Mama Earth Natural Insect Repellent for Babies
- All-Natural Spray Type
- Repellent to Keep Mosquitoes Away from Younger Kids
- Made with citronella, cedar, peppermint, and rosemary essential oils
- Based with Castor and Soybean oil
- Safe for younger kids
- Works for about 2 to 3 hours
- Do a patch test first for sensitive and allergic skin
- Not best option for infants or sensitive noses
- Quite strongly scented
- May stain clothes due to the presence of various oils
Good Knight Fabric Roll-On Personal Mosquito Repellent
- Roll-On Type Repellent
- Occasional Use Carry with you while Going Out
- Easy to use
- Convenient to carry
- Great product for you
- Works for about 3 to 4 hours
- Meant to be used on clothes
- No stickiness
- Leave no stains
- Excessively sweet scents
- Strong smell
- Not recommended for kids and people with sensitive nose
- Small size
- Does not last very long, if used regularly.
Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent
- Spray Type Repellent
- 20% Picaridin
- Works for 7 Hours
- One of the most effective repellents
- Recommended for mosquitoes and other bugs to keep them away
- Smells quite nice
- Effectiveness last for almost 7 hours
- Really expensive product
- Naturally sourced ingredient picaridin is not recommended for young children and people having sensitive skin
Mama Earth Natural Mosquito Repellent Patches for Kids
- All-Natural Patch Type
- Repellents for Kids
- Use in Areas with Few Mosquitoes
- Eucalyptus and Citronella essential oils are active ingredients
- Safe for kids
- Convenient to take out while travelling
- Light citrus fragrance
- Last for about 8 hours
- One pack of 24 patches run out within 8-10 days
- Cost per use quite high
- Not so strong and effective
Good Knight Cool Gel Personal Repellent
- Gel-Type Product
- 12% DEET
- Cooling Effect
- Lasts 3 to 4 Hours
- Contains Aloe Vera gel
- No sticky feeling
- Bit expensive Pack
- last not more than 2 weeks when used regularly
- Not most travel-friendly product
- Leaks in the bag at times
Good Knight Patches Personal Mosquito Repellent
- Patch Type
- Repellent for Young Kids
- Safe for Sensitive Noses
- Works for 5 to 6 Hours
- Contains citronella and Eucalyptus oils
- Recommended for little kids
- Cute animal designs for kids
- Mild smell
- Easy to carry
- Lasts for 5 to 6 hours
- 14 patches per pack
- Finishes in a week if used daily
- Expensive purchase
- Not the strongest patch
Dabur Odomos Non-Sticky Mosquito Repellent Cream
- Cream Type Repellent
- 12% DEET
- Lasts for 3 Hours
- All-time favorite
- Regular market product
- No typical pungent smell
- Control use every time
- Better for areas with less mosquitoes
- Not for infants might ingesting it
Repel Insect Repellent Sportsmen Max 40% DEET Spray
- Strongest Repellent
- Recommended for Outdoorsy Activities
- Contains 40% DEET
- Perfect size while hiking or camping
- Use on clothes and skin
- Works on mosquitoes and other bugs
- Not so expensive
- Last for more than 8 hours
- Bottle last for more than 3 weeks
- High DEET percentage limits it to adults
- Terribly strong smell.
Mosi-Guard Natural Insect Repellent
- Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus based
- Stick Type Repellent
- Good Sensitive Skin and Babies
- One of the best
- All-natural repellents
- Easy to use
- No sticky feel
- Little to no smell
- Lasts for 8 to 9 hours
- Lasts for 3 weeks with regular use
- No fear of inhaling ingesting getting it in eyes
- Convenient while travelling
- Small size
- No chance of leakage in bag
Bug Off Mosquito Repellent Body Spray
- Spray Type Repellent
- 20% DEET
- Tackles Mosquito problems in Monsoon
- The best mosquito repellent
- Not too strong
- Suitable for children
- Easy to use
- Sticky initially
- Smells nice
- 7 hours protection
- Works on all sorts of Bugs
- Last at least 2 weeks even if used multiple times
- Most affordable repellents
- Recommended for heavy rainfall areas
Being a monsoon country, India requires itself against the effect of the increasing population of many mosquitoes. So, people must buy mosquito repellents, coils, and nets to keep themselves safe. We would also recommend to keep your house with covered using losses on the windows and putting the lid on open water pit where mosquitoes can lay eggs with buying repellant products for personal use.
We hope this article has enlightened you to understand various types of mosquito repellents and will do help to choose the best one for yourself. We expect the list of the best mosquito repellents will help you keep the mosquitoes at bay during monsoon season.