Caraway essential oil is obtained from the seeds of the plant called Carvum carvi through the process of steam distillation. The extracted caraway oil has multiple benefits.
Chemical Composition in Caraway Oil
The primary constituent of the caraway seed is the compound known as d-carvone. The other major constituents of this oil are carvone, carvacrol, limonene, α-pinene, linalool, γ-terpinene, p-cymene, and carvenone.
The cumin counterpart of this family of seeds constitute of limonene, α- & β-pinene, cuminaldehyde, p-cymene, 1,8-cineole, α- & γ-terpinene, linalool, and safranal.
Uses of caraway oil:
- Cooking and baking: Caraway seeds are known to
have a strong and pungent flavor, owing to the essential oil constituents in it
like carvone, antehole, limonene etc. It is used as flavoring substances in
various popular cuisines across the Middle Eastern and European countries. It
is used in making rye bread and other bakery products for its aroma and flavor.
Used in preparation of liquor and other
alcoholic beverages, the locally popular liquor Kummel of the European country is prepared using this seed.
- Used in aromatherapy: Caraway oil is blended with
massage oil for stress relief and treating muscle fatigue.Few drops of oil is
mixed in warm water and bathed or simply mixed in a
diffuser to calm down nerves and helps in releasing anti-stress hormones.
- Blend in shampoo or lotion – A few drops of this
essential oil in the shampoo or body lotion is known to do wonders to the
texture and the health of the skin. Removes dandruff and
promotes soft and supple youthful skin.
What blends with Caraway oil
Caraway oil when used in combination with other essential oil is more effective, some of these oils act as carrier oil or diluting oils that best blends with Caraway essential oil are listed down below:
- Coriander oil
- Chamomile oil
- Frankincense oil
- Orange oil
- Lavender oil
- Ginger oil
- Basil oil
- Jojoba oil
- Almond oil
- Coconut oil
How to use Caraway oil?
- Topical usage: The right blend of oils can be used to apply topically, that guarantees anti-aging, anti-wrinkle and astringent effects on the skin. A few drops into massage oil or in warm bathing water yields the advantages of this essential oil derived from Caraway seeds.
- Aromatic Usage: The essential oil from Caraway seeds have been time tested to alleviate stress and promote mental health by calming the nerves. Given the aromatic properties of this oil it is used in perfumery and soap manufacturing too.
- Oral Usage: Consumption of this oil internally too, has also seen benefits. Consumption of this oil in the right quantity with warm water, helps with multiple health benefits. Inhalation of vapors of this seed is known to have a curing effect of cold and its symptoms.
Side effects of Caraway oil
Though the usage and benefits of this wonderful oil is vast, there are few limitations to it too. When consumed inappropriately. Few of the adverse effects are listed down below
Pregnant women: Not recommended for pregnant
women as the seeds are high in compounds that promotes estrogen production. In
progesterone hormone plays a very pivotal role, estrogen on the other hand disrupts the progesterone production and thereby can cause a possible abortion. Thus, it is always good to exercise caution before consumption of these seeds,
especially in women of child bearing age.
Blood pressure disruption: The seeds are known to regulate hypertension, however, if you are suffering from low blood pressure or hypotension with diabetes, it is advised to keep away from consumption of these seeds.
Hemochromatosis- Better known as excessive iron content in the body. Consumption of Caraway seeds/oil in large quantities on a daily basis coupled with iron supplements are studied to increase the iron content in the body.
Safe blending oil: It is always important to look which oil is blends well with your essential oil, as Caraway oil, when blended with peppermint oil causes nausea and acid reflux like symptoms. 
Caraway seed oil has an allrounder effect with a wide spectrum of applications in gastrointestinal, gynecological, respiratory, dermatological, neurological health benefits to culinary applications. This black beauty seeds have numerous advantages to promote human health. We need to consider the advantages and disadvantages before consumption and application.
Image credit: essential oil via SiNeeKan/shutterstock