Paneer bhurji is an easy and quick paneer dish of scrambled Indian cottage cheese with onion, tomatoes, and spices. to be served with roti, paratha, or any flatbreads or toast.
Bhurji in Hindi means scramble. There are many bhurji recipes, the most popular ones being Tofu bhurji, Soya bhurji, Egg bhurji in case you love eggs and ever-popular paneer bhurji or Cottage cheese scramble. Paneer or Indian Cottage Cheese that is a homemade paneer is considered the best. But if you can not make it or you are in a hurry, just go for store-bought paneer.
The combination of the following ingredients makes it tasty;
Spices – Very basic spices, turmeric, cumin, salt, red chilli powder.
Fresh – green chilli, ginger which is optional, onion, coriander leaves.
Oil– Neutral-tasting oil like canola oil.
While making bhurji, paneer is sautéed with onion and spices and remember to keep it simple and basic. The following recipe is dry paneer bhurji without tomatoes. In case you like a super spicy semi-dry paneer bhurji gravy recipe or Amritsari Paneer bhurji, the following is perfect paneer recipe to try.
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time10 min
- Total Time15 min
- Yield4 Plates
- Serving Size125 g
- Energy226 cal
For Salad and Toppings
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Onions chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 250 grams Paneer Indian cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon Coriander leaves
Preparing the spices
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds.
- When cumin starts to crackle add chopped onions.
- Saute the onions till they are lightly browned.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt to taste.
- Mix everything well.
- Roast the spices well with the onions for 1 minute.
- When the spices are well roasted then add crumbled paneer/ cottage cheese in it.
- Mix the ingredients well till the paneer is well coated with the spices.
- Cover with a lid for 3-4 minutes.
- Take off the lid after 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander in it.
- Mix everything well and serve hot.
Notes & Tips
- Add various spice mixes like Pav bhaji masala or kitchen king masala to add a delicious flavour in paneer bhurji.
- Add quick-cooking veggies like green peas, capsicum, shredded cabbage, or chopped spinach in bhurji
- It will make it more delicious and more nutritious.
- It makes it even more wholesome and filling.
- Paneer bhurji with onion tomato masala can also be tried as semi-dry Paneer bhurji gravy.
- For typical Amritsari version of the paneer dish, add Amritsari Paneer Bhurji masala.
- 4 servings per container
- Serving Size125 g
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat19 g24.36%
- Saturated Fat10 g50%
- Trans Fat0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat0 g
- Cholesterol41 mg13.67%
- Sodium317 mg13.78%
- Total Carbohydrate4 g1.45%
- Dietary Fiber1 g3.57%
- Total Sugars1 g
- Protein9 g18%
- Calcium311 mg23.92%
- Iron1 mg5.56%
- Potassium59 mg1.26%
- Vitamin A148 mcg16.44%
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)2 mg2.22%