Mayonnaise is a creamy sauce made with eggs, oil and lemon that serves to accompany bread, fish and meat. Origins of mayonnaise can be found in a story related to Duke of Richelieu as the protagonist and Minorca. who are supposed to be the characters and the place where mayonnaise was invented. According to the versions, the mayonnaise was born in Mahón, from which it derives its name.
It takes ten minutes to prepare the mayonnaise. If failing to whip it due to some mistakes like a lukewarm container, the cold eggs or the quickly poured oil, it may ruin the taste and texture.Let’s get some tips and tricks to prepare a perfect mayonnaise at home. Mayonnaise may be too liquid, if we use eggs at room temperature. Broken mayonnaise can be recovered by adding a few drops of vinegar or lemon. You can even add an egg yolk to the broken mayonnaise. Home-made mayonnaise must be kept in the refrigerator for 2-4 days, because it has a short life. You must not freeze it because defrosting would change its structure, and mayonnaise would go bad.
- Prep Time10 min
- Yield10 Plate
- Serving Size100 g
- Energy1,060 cal
- Eggs 2 yolks
- Sunflower Oil 1 glass
- Lemon Juice A quarter of a lemon
- Wine Vinegar 2-4 drops
- Sea Salt As per taste
- Black Pepper As per taste
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites
- Collect the yolks in a bowl.
- Season them with salt and pepper.
- Crush them gently with a fork.
- Pour little by little the oil.
- Constantly blending and making it absorb before pouring more.
- Add a few drops of lemon alternating with oil until finishing it.
- Continue to blend in both ways.
- Whip to make it homogeneous sauce.
- Mayonnaise will be ready in the bowl.
- It is good to use only fresh ingredients at room temperature.
- Take the eggs out of the refrigerator about 4 hours before using them.
- Use sunflower oil because it is very delicate
- Sunflower Oil does not risk cover other tastes.
- Extra-virgin olive oil is also considered good but has stronger flavor.
- Lemon juice will soften the mayonnaise, be very careful with it.
- Lemon can end up making it liquid and spoiling it.
- Use right consistency of mayonnaise is firm and soft
- Home-made mayonnaise can also appear bitter to the taste depending on the type of oil used.
- 10 servings per container
- Serving Size100 g
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat22.3 g28.59%
- Saturated Fat3 g15%
- Trans Fat0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat0 g
- Cholesterol10.1 mg3.37%
- Sodium182.3 mg7.93%
- Total Carbohydrate0 g0%