Mattar paneer is a vegetarian North Indian Punjabi dish consisting of peas and paneer in a tomato based sauce spiced with garam masala.
Matar Paneer is generally served with basmati jeera rice and an Indian flat bread (naan, paratha, poori, or roti depending on region). Various ingredients are also added, like potato, corn, yogurt or cream.
Mustard oil or ghee is the ideal to make dhaba style rich gravy. Frying paneer for the gravy is totally optional. Many people like fried cubes of cottage cheese in the gravy.
Frying cubes of paneer contribute to the taste or texture of the dish.
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time25 min
- Total Time40 min
- Yield4 Plates
- Serving Size300g
- Energy546 cal
- 500 gram paneer (cottage cheese), cut into cubes
- 1/2 Cup fresh green peas
- 1 Cup chopped onion
- 1 Cup chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 green chilies sliced
- 4 tablespoon mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon deggi mirch powder/Kashmiri lal mirch powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon gram flour besan
- Make paste of tomato in mixer and set aside.
- Dry roast the gram flour over low heat till aromatic and golden and keep aside.
- Heat mustard oil in a kadhai till it starts smoking.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Fry (optional) the paneer cubes till they turn crisp and golden from both the sides.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside till required.
- Add bay leaf and fry for a second.
- Add the chopped onion.
- Cook till onion are golden brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste.
- Fry nicely for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Put the tomato paste.
- Fry till the masala starts leaving the sides of the pan, it will take 5 – 10 minutes.
- Dissolve red chilli powder in two tablespoon of water and it to the masala.
- Add turmeric powder, peas, roasted gram flour and coriander powder.
- Stir to combine.
- Add approximately 1 Cup of water, cover the pan.
- Allow the curry to simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the paneer cubes, garam masala, green chilli, salt and mix nicely.
- Simmer the curry for few 5 more minutes or till it thickens.
- Garnish matar paneer with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve Matar Paneer with naan or basmati rice.
- Use the best available ripe and red tomatoes for the gravy.
- Ripe tomatoes give a rich taste and color to the dish.
- Stick to either Kashmiri red chili powder or Deggi Mirch Powder for paneer recipe.
- Both impart a rich color to the dishes.
- Adding roasted gram flour thickens the curry and gives it a restaurant like consistency, only a tablespoon is sufficient.
- 4 servings per container
- Serving Size300g
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat46 g58.97%
- Saturated Fat20 g100%
- Trans Fat0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat0 g
- Cholesterol83 mg27.67%
- Sodium205 mg8.91%
- Total Carbohydrate14 g5.09%
- Dietary Fiber4 g14.29%
- Total Sugars5 g
- Protein20 g40%
- Calcium632 mg48.62%
- Iron1 mg5.56%
- Potassium241 mg5.13%
- Vitamin A357 mcg39.67%
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)18 mg20%