Idli is the quintessential breakfast of South Indians. But, due to its taste and aromatic flavoured combination with sambar and chutney, has found its way into homes across the world. Generally, idlis are liked hot piping and soft with some chutney and sambar. When the idlis are very soft like cotton and served soft with Murugan kadai chutney and Hotel style sambar, it feels like heaven. the recipe of idli is easily doable at home. The secret to the soft idli is the perfect batter which is rightly fermented and steamed. Here, in this article, let us see how to make these soft idlis at home with the homemade batter.
The softness of idlis are very much dependent on the amount of ingredients that we take to make it. Idli or the steamed rice cake has mainly only 2 ingredients. One is the idli rice or parboiled rice. The other is the urad dal or the dehusked black gram dal. A small amount of fenugreek seeds also go along way in making the idlis very soft. All these ingredients are available in all over any Indian grocery store. When the following recipe is perfected, you will definitely get delicious soft idlis. Although there are many variations of the same homemade idli batter. Some add aval or poha to the batter to get soft idlis. Some households add sabudana or sago to the batter. You can make many variations to get different results. It is up to you how you prepare a batter at home.
- Prep Time12 hr
- Cook Time10 min
- Total Time12 hr 10 min
- Yield4 Plates
- Serving Size300 g
- Energy3,333 cal
- 4 Cups Idli rice par boiled rice
- 1 Cup Whole urad dal Black gram dal withour skin
- 2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- To Taste Salt
TO MAKE BATTER
- Wash and clean all the ingredients.
- Soak rice with fenugreek seeds in a big bowl in enough water for 3 hours.
- Soak the dal separately in enough water for 3 hrs
- Grind the dal first in a wet grinder till smooth and fluffy. This will ensure very soft idli.
- Take it out in a bowl and keep it aside.
- Grind the rice and fenugreek seeds with enough water till smooth.
- Combine the dal paste to this. Do not over mix
- Add the necessary salt, mix well and let it ferment overnight.
TO MAKE SOFT IDLI
- Next day, heat water in the idli cooker.
- Grease the idli mould with oil.
- Pour a ladle of batter in each depression and assemble the stand.
- Keep it inside the cooker and close with the lid.
- Steam on high for 10 minutes
- Check whether it has cooked completely.
- Let it cool a little before scooping out the idli from the stand.
- Serve warm with Coconut chutney, Daniya chutney, Molaga podi and hotel sambar.
- 4 servings per container
- Serving Size300 g
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat7 g8.97%
- Saturated Fat1 g5%
- Trans Fat0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat0 g
- Cholesterol0 mg0%
- Sodium54 mg2.35%
- Total Carbohydrate124 g45.09%
- Dietary Fiber21 g75%
- Total Sugars1 g
- Protein34 g68%
- Calcium340 mg26.15%
- Iron10 mg55.56%
- Potassium908 mg19.32%
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)8 mg8.89%