Garlic bread is a soft, spongy and with the crunchiest garlic butter. One of the favourite ways to eat this is simply with a massive green salad for lunch, but of course the great thing about garlic bread is that it can be a side for many things – chilli, pasta, soup, part of a picnic – you name it.
The perfect side dish for Italian-American dishes like lasagna and spaghetti, garlic bread is buttery, with plenty of fresh garlic flavor.
Garlic bread consists of bread usually a baguette or sour dough like a ciabatta, topped with garlic and olive oil or butter and may include additional herbs, such as oregano or chives. It is then either grilled or broiled until toasted or baked in a conventional or bread oven.
It is typically made using a French baguette, or sometimes a sourdough like ciabatta which is partially sliced downwards, allowing the condiments to soak into the loaf while keeping it in one piece.
The bread is stuffed through the cuts with oil and minced garlic before baking. Alternatively, butter and garlic powder are used, or the bread is cut lengthwise into separate slices which are individually garnished.
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time20 min
- Total Time30 min
- Yield1 Big Loaf
- Serving Size100 g
- Energy121 cal
- 800 g strong bread flour , plus extra for dusting
- 1 x 7 g sachet of dried yeast
- 100 g stale breadcrumbs
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 500 g unsalted butter , (at room temperature)
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley , (30g)
- 1 level teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Put the flour, yeast and 1 teaspoon of sea salt into a large bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Pour in 550ml of tepid water, continuously stirring and bringing in the flour from the outside as you go to form a rough dough.
- Transfer to a flour-dusted surface and knead for 10 minutes, or until smooth and springy.
- Place in a bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and prove in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Make the butter and extra can be freeze the extra for rainy days.
- Use a garlic crusher to crush the garlic into the softened butter, finely grate over the zest of ½ a lemon, finely chop and add the parsley (stalks and all), the cayenne and a pinch of salt, then mix it all together.
- Place on a sheet of grease proof paper, roll it up into a log and twist the ends, then pop into the freezer.
- After 30 minutes, get the butter out and slice it up to pre-portion, then re-roll and return to the freezer.
- Spread one third of soft butter portion all around the base and sides of a large metal tray (25cm x 35cm), then scatter in the breadcrumbs and shake around into an even layer so they stick to the butter.
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/gas 5.
- Sprinkle the loaf with a little salt, then bake on the bottom shelf of the oven for 30 minutes, or until lovely and golden.
- Bomb over that final third of soft butter and spread it around to give the bread a beautiful shine.
- You can use cheddar cheese in cheese garlic bread.
- You can make cheese garlic bread on tawa by roasting them on a tawa until crisp while covered with a lid.
If you’ve made classic homemade garlic bread and are ready to branch out, there are several tasty variations:
- Cheesy garlic bread: For cheesy garlic bread, bake the garlic bread for about 15 minutes, then remove and place a slice of low-moisture mozzarella cheese into each slit. Return the loaf to the oven, uncovered, until the cheese is bubbly, about 5 more minutes.
- Herb garlic bread: When making the garlic butter, add a combination of tender herbs such as basil and chives. Make a little extra herb mixture, and sprinkle it on top of the bread when you take it out of the oven.
- Extra garlicky garlic bread: For really pungent garlic bread, like the kind you’ll find at an Italian restaurant, add garlic powder and dried oregano to the butter mixture along with the fresh-pressed garlic cloves.
- 35 servings per container
- Serving Size100 g
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat4.3 g5.51%
- Saturated Fat2.4 g12%
- Trans Fat0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat0 g
- Cholesterol0 mg0%
- Sodium0.3 mg0.01%
- Total Carbohydrate18.7 g6.8%
- Dietary Fiber0.7 g2.5%
- Total Sugars0.4 g
- Protein3 g6%
- Calcium0.45 mg0.03%
- Iron12 mg66.67%