Eggless Sponge Cake is a soft, moist, spongy vanilla cake. In case you are not a big fan of elaborate layered cakes, – simply bake a sponge cake, serve it with whipped cream, and fresh fruits. You can never go wrong with a classic vanilla sponge cake. It is simply delectable.
It’s not quite autumn, but it most definitely feels like summer is over, which means spend some quality baking time in the kitchen without worrying about the melting butter and sweltering heat. The warmth and comfort of old fashioned teatime cakes is layering cakes with beautiful piping details but try to keep them simple. Vanilla Sponge Cake is one such classic baking recipe always available in grandma’s recipe diary.
It is a versatile cake that you can serve in a million creative ways. You will require 8 ingredients, 8 inch round cake tin, and a hand mixer to make eggless vanilla sponge cake.
All-Purpose Flour: a basic all-purpose flour and not cake flour.
Condensed Milk: Eggless cake do have condensed milk, better to use Sweetened Condensed Milk.
Butter: The butter gives a rich, buttery classic taste to sponge cake.
Sugar: Better to only 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar as the condensed milk is already very sweet. Use regular powdered sugar or castor sugar. Don’t use icing sugar.
Vanilla: Adding vanilla flavor is optional.
There are a million ways to serve a sponge cake. It is the most versatile cake recipe. You may dust it with icing sugar, layer with fresh berries or fruits, make a victorian sponge with a layer of whipped cream and fruit compote, serve it without any add-ons with a cup of tea or slice of vanilla sponge cake on a white plate.
- Prep Time30 min
- Cook Time35 min
- Total Time1 hr 5 min
- Yield1 Platter
- Serving Size500 g
- Energy301 cal
For Salad and Toppings
- 1 Cup = 250 ml
- 1 tablespoon = 15 ml
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 cup (200 gram) all purpose flour (maida)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoon powdered white sugar
- Liquid Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup (60 gram) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup milk, at room temperature
- 200 ml condensed milk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven at 170 degree celsius.
- Grease a 8 inch round cake tin with little butter.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, powder together in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In second mixing bowl add cream butter using a hand mixer or stand mixer at medium speed still creamy in texture.
- Gradually add the condensed milk and whisk well using the hand mixer for 1 minute.
- Add sugar and vanilla essence, again whisk with the hand mixer for 1 – 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture in the liquid ingredients along with 1/2 cup of milk.
- Cut and fold to form a lump-free batter.
- Add remaining flour and milk.
- Cut and fold the batter till smooth, evenly combined, and no streaks of flour remain.
- Pour the batter in the greased tin.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes in the middle rack of the oven.
- After 30 minutes cover the tin with an aluminum foil
- Insert a toothpick to check the cake for doneness as well.
- Remove the cake from the oven, let it sit in the tin for the next 10 – 15 minutes.
- After cooling down, invert the sponge cake onto a wire rack and let it cool down completely at room temperature.
- Serve eggless sponge cake at room temperature or slightly chilled.
- Cut the cake horizontally from the middle into two equal halves to layer the sponge cake.
- In the bottom half add whipped and spread it with the back of the spoon.
- Add one or two spoonful of strawberry compote and some sliced fruits.
- Cover layer with the upper half of the cake like a sandwich.
- Layer the upper half as well with cream, cherry compote and sliced fruits.
- Keep the cake in the fridge before serving.
- Ensure all the ingredients are at room temperature before making the cake batter.
- Use a hand mixer to achieve a light, fluffy, and airy cake batter.
- 1 servings per container
- Serving Size500 g
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*Standard DV
- Total Fat18 g78 g23.08%
- Saturated Fat11 g20 g55%
- Trans Fat0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat0 g
- Cholesterol60 mg300 mg20%
- Sodium192 mg2300 mg8.35%
- Total Carbohydrate32 g275 g11.64%
- Dietary Fiber1 g28 g3.57%
- Total Sugars19 g
- Calcium153 mg1300 mg11.77%
- Iron1 mg18 mg5.56%
- Potassium281 mg4700 mg5.98%
- Vitamin A655 mcg900 mcg72.78%
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)6 mg90 mg6.67%