Dum Aloo is a star attraction of the traditional Kashmiri Pandit cuisine. The flavorful, spicy, creamy and delicious dish can be found in variety of different variation in every restaurant of India. This is a preparation made from boiled potatoes deep fried in oil or ghee which is cooked on low flame in a creamy flavourful gravy with spices.
Dum aloo with the creamy gravy must be served with jeera rice, pulao, naan or flat bread. At times, without fanciful name, it is a basic veg preparation which is cooked in every household of India. We can several versions of the dish, like Punjabi dum aloo, Bengali style alur dom, Kashmiri dum aloo etc.
It is a wholesome main course preparation of deep fried potatoes, in butter or clarified butter, to bring a smooth texture to it. While making the dish, always make pore in the boiled potatoes before frying, it will make them smooth and the aroma of the gravy will be properly absorbed.
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time25 min
- Total Time40 min
- Yield4 Plates
- Serving Size200 g
- Energy184 cal
- 2 Boiled potatoes (Medium size)
- 5 Dry red chili’s
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 Bay leaf
- 1 Medium size onion
- 2 Green chili’s
- 1 Small size tomato
- 4-5 Garlic cloves
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1/2 Bowl coriander leaves
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 Cup water
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Salt as required
Boiled potatoes, coriander seeds and dry red chili’s
- Take the boiled potatoes, peel and clean them, then poke the potatoes with the help of tooth-peak.
- Heat a pan and pore butter in it.
- Add potatoes in warm butter and fry them for 2 minutes.
- Take 1/2 cup of water in one bowl, add dry red chili’s and coriander seeds in it then let them soak the water.
- Cut onion, tomato, coriander leaves, green chili’s, ginger and garlic.
- We need onion for both puree and fry, so split the chopped onion accordingly.
- Ginger and garlic should be finely chopped because we have to grind it and have to make a smooth paste out of it.
- We will grind all the veggies in 3 steps.
- Grind the soaked red chili and coriander seeds
- Ginger-garlic in it, grind again.
- Add onion, coriander leaves and tomato, grind them together.
- Make a smooth puree out of it.
Fried potatoes and veggies
- Heat oil in a deep pan to prepare gravy.
- Add bay leaf, chopped green chili, onion and coriander leaves in oil, fry this mixture until it converts into golden color.
- Mixture will get a smooth golden texture.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt in this mixture.
- Cook all together for 2 minutes on low-medium flame.
- Add all the purees in it and fry this again for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water in it and let it boil.
Dum Aloo is ready
- Add fried potatoes in the mixture, mix everything together and bring it to gentle boil.
- Cover this for 12-15 Minutes.
- Let potatoes soak the aroma of spices.
- Dum aloo is ready serve this with roti, fulka, jeera rice or pulao.
- Frying potatoes in oil is not compulsory, you can also use butter or ghee.
- If you don’t have baby potatoes then use normally available potatoes by cutting them in 2 to 4 pieces.
- Poke the potatoes with the help of tooth prick. It will help potatoes to soak the smoothness of butter.
- 4 servings per container
- Serving Size200 g
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat10 g12.82%
- Saturated Fat3 g15%
- Trans Fat3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat0 g
- Cholesterol5 mg1.67%
- Sodium612 mg26.61%
- Total Carbohydrate25 g9.09%
- Dietary Fiber1 g3.57%
- Total Sugars13 g
- Protein3 g6%
- Calcium12 mg0.92%
- Iron0.9 mg5%
- Vitamin A0.9 mcg0.1%
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)1.2 mg1.33%