Chana Masala : Flavoursome & Tasty North Indian Curry of Chickpea & Spices.
An extremely flavourful and tasty North Indian Curry recipe made with chickpea and spices. The recipe is generally consumed with roti, layered paratha, bhatura or puffed poori and rice. There are various ways to make the chana recipe and depends upon the region, but chana masala recipe belongs to Punjabi or North Indian variation.
North Indian curries are one of the main pillars of Indian cuisine. It is a recipe which can be made for day to day diet as well as for celebrations and occasion meals. There are some recipe which can be made for both occasions and one such extremely popular recipe is chana masala recipe known for its taste and flavour.
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time30 min
- Total Time45 min
- Yield1 Plate
- Serving Size30g
- Energy850 cal
- Soaking Time8 hours
FOR PRESSURE COOKING:
- 1 cup chickpea / chana
- water, for soaking
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 cup water, for pressure cooking
FOR CHANA MASALA POWDER:
- ¼ cup coriander seeds
- ¼ cup cumin / jeera
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp clove
- 2 pod black cardamom
- 2 inch cinnamon
- 1 mace / javitri
- 1 tsp fennel / saunf
- 1 tsp shah jeera / caraway seed
- 10 dried red chilli
- 2 tbsp aamchur
- 2 tbsp kasuri methi
- 1 tsp turmeric1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- 3 pod cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, slit
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp salt½ tsp salt
- 2 cup tomato puree
- 2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
PRESSURE COOKING CHANA:
- Take 1 cup chickpea and soak in enough water for 8 hours in a large bowl.
- Transfer the soaked chickpea to a pressure cooker.
- Add ¼ tsp baking soda, ¾ tsp salt and 3 cup water.
- Pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles or until the chana is cooked well.
CHANA MASALA POWDER PREPARATION:
- Take ¼ cup coriander seeds, ¼ cup cumin, 2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp clove, 2 pod black cardamom, 2 inch cinnamon, 1 mace, 1 tsp fennel, 1 tsp shah jeera in a pan.
- Roast on low flame until the spices turn aromatic.
- Add 10 dried red chilli and roast until the chilli puffs up and turns crunchy.
- Completely cool and transfer to a mixi.
- Add 2 tbsp aamchur, 2 tbsp kasuri methi and 1 tsp turmeric.
- Blend to fine powder without adding any water.
- Chole masala powder is ready. Store in an airtight container for longer shelf life.
CHANA MASALA CURRY PREPARATION:
- Take a large kadai, heat 2 tbsp ghee and saute 3 pod cardamom, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp cumin until spices turn aromatic.
- Add 1 onion, 1 chilli, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste and saute until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add in 1 tbsp of prepared chole masala and ½ tsp salt. saute on low flame until the masala turn aromatic.
- Add 2 cup tomato puree and mix well. Blend two ripened tomatoes to a smooth paste without adding any water to prepare tomato puree.
- Saute until the oil separates from the masala paste.
- Add in pressure cooked chana and mix well adjusting consistency as required.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the flavours are well absorbed.
- Enjoy 2 tbsp coriander and enjoy chana masala with roti, puri or hot steamed rice.
- Vary the amount of chana masala powder depending on spice level.
- Adding soda while pressure cooking chole helps to cook faster.
- Saute the masala on low flame to prevent from burning.
- Chana masala recipe tastes great when cooked in ghee.
- 1 servings per container
- Serving Size30g
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*
- Total Fat16 g20.51%
- Saturated Fat2.1 g10.5%
- Trans Fat0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat2.4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat10 g
- Cholesterol0 mg0%
- Sodium240 mg10.43%
- Total Carbohydrate29 g10.55%
- Dietary Fiber7.6 g27.14%
- Total Sugars6.9 g
- Protein7.7 g15.4%
- Calcium12 mg0.92%
- Iron12 mg66.67%
- Vitamin A51 mcg5.67%
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)5.7 mg6.33%