A Learning Management System (LMS) is a critical software for managing and tracking employee training. But with so many options on the market, it can be challenging to determine which LMS platform is right for your business.
Every organization has different needs, so it’s essential to evaluate its features before deciding. If you’ve never heard of this before, you may be wondering what it is, how you can use it to benefit your company and more.
What Is an LMS Platform?
The first learning management systems were created in the late 1990s, as universities and colleges offered distance learning courses. These early systems were mainly used to deliver content and track student progress.
It is a software application for planning, implementing, and assessing a specific learning process. It usually refers to a system used by the educational institutions and corporations to manage online courses and training programs. You can also use it for other purposes, such as managing employee education and development.
Nowadays, the LMS platform has evolved and become much more sophisticated. They now offer a wide range of features and capabilities, from delivering content to managing and tracking employee training.
According to the 2020 VyondTheSurface research, 51% of employees prefer self-guided online training versus instructor-led training.
What Are the Benefits of Using It?
Some of the key benefits are:
- Efficient and Cost-effective: A learning management system can save your organization’s time and money by delivering content more efficiently and reducing the need for costly, traditional instructor-led training.
- Increased Productivity: Employees can access training content anytime, anywhere, and at their own pace. This can increase productivity as they don’t need to take time out of their workday to attend a physical training class.
- Improved Engagement: It’s been shown that employees engaged in their learning are more productive and stay with the organization for longer. It also helps to improve engagement by offering a variety of learning activities and by providing feedback on employee progress.
- Enhanced Compliance: This is a significant benefit for businesses regulated by external bodies. The platform helps to meet compliance requirements by delivering specific training content and tracking employee progress.
- More Significant Insights: The data collected by an LMS gives valuable insights into employee performance and how they learn. This information can improve training programs and make better business decisions.
Now, look at the top features to consider when selecting a platform.
Top Features to Consider
Below are some of the top features:
1. Ease of Use:
The platform should be easy to use for both the administrators and learners. It should have an intuitive interface, and the learning content should be easy to access and navigate.
2. Mobile Compatibility:
With more employees working remotely, the platform must be compatible with mobile devices. This allows employees to access training content anywhere, at any time.
The platform should offer personalization features, such as tailored content to individual learners. This ensures that employees receive the most relevant and appropriate training.
This is an important feature, as it allows the LMS to integrate with other business systems. This can also enhance efficiency.
5. Reporting and Tracking:
The average person spends over 9.3 hours per week looking for information. A good LMS will report and track features to see how employees progress and identify areas needing more help.
It’s crucial to go for a platform that offers good customer support. This saves hassle if you encounter any problems with the system.
As your business grows, you’ll need a software that can scale to meet your changing needs. Pick out a platform that can easily upgrade, so you don’t have to start from scratch when your business expands.
Don’t forget to consider the cost of the platform. It’s crucial to find one that fits your budget, but don’t sacrifice quality for the price.
With the increased focus on data security, you’ll need to opt for a system that offers good security features. This includes data encryption, user authentication, and activity logging.
The platform should meet all compliance requirements, such as GDPR and HIPAA. Try to make sure that it complies with the laws and regulations specific to your industry.
11. E-learning Tools:
The platform should offer a range of e-learning tools, such as quizzes, surveys, and chatbots. This allows you to create interactive and engaging learning experiences for your employees.
Now that you know what to look for, it’s time to start your search. Use this guide to narrow down your options and find the perfect platform for your business.